Although our pages (should) always have the accurate names of the items, quests or characters, players searching this wiki may not be as accurate as we are; after all, the use of shortenings or abbreviations can speed up searching considerably, if they can be used. To this end redirecting is utilised in order to aid users to find their articles.
A redirect is a page created specifically to take a searcher straight to another article, even without the accurate name. They can be used in a variety of situations to help the users of this wiki.
How to redirectEditTo make a redirect page, the page which will be redirecting must be created. To redirect it to a selected page, simply write
#REDIRECT[[target page name]]in it. When previewed, the page will show the following:
- REDIRECT target page name
Don't worry; it may not look like a redirect page does once created, but that is just because redirects don't show on preview pages. See below to see what a page looks like when redirected:
Redirecting to a categoryEdit
When creating a page that redirects to a category, using the format above causes the redirect page to be included in the category itself. To properly redirect to a category, use
The use of the colon (:) before the category instructs the Wiki software to treat the link as a normal link and not as a category to be included.
Editing an existing redirectEdit
Editing a redirect page is like editing any other page: the trick comes in finding the redirect page itself and not its target.
To access an existing redirect page, search for the redirect title (example "Abby whip"). When the target page appears, a note underneath the target page's title will say something similar to "(Redirected from Abby whip)". Clicking on the link in this notice will take you to the redirect page itself (pictured above) which can then be edited as normal.
When to use redirectsEdit
Redirects can be used for a number of things:
- Common misspellings (Abbysal whip)
- Different forms of capitalisation (Rogue's castle)
- Common shortenings or abbreviations (P pot)
- Alternative names
When not to use redirectsEdit
- Redirecting from one namespace to another; for example, making "Tesfan" redirect to User:Tesfan. This applies for all situations except in special cases (e.g. redirects to policies).
- For an unclear term with more than one possible meaning, a disambiguation page may be an alternative to a redirect. Any mis-spellings of this term should redirect to the disambiguation page. The Dragon page is an example, disambiguating the monster, the armour, and the hide.
|Denne side er kopieret fra den engelske RuneScape Wiki (vis bidragere), der hører under Creative Commons Licensen.|