2001 was the first year for RuneScape. The game showed was very different from today, with less world space, no membership and many other features that now exist. RuneScape was ruled by clans for the majority of 2001, but when the Wilderness was introduced and the world became safe from PKers, clans took a backseat in the evolution process of RuneScape. Overall, over 1 million people were introduced to RuneScape.
The following is the list of events that happened in 2001.
- 4 January: RuneScape is launched on Thursday, ending beta testing period.
- 28 January: Vampire Slayer quest is released.
- 6 April: The Kingdom of Asgarnia is opened on Friday. Black Knights Fortress quest is released. Doric's Quest is released.
- 8 May: Goblin Diplomacy quest is released. Making jewellery and pottery is introduced. 3rd server is added.
- 24 May:
- Good Magic and Evil magic are converted into the Magic skill.
- Jagex removed pop-up windows from their website.
- 26 May: Jagex updated prayers so they last 50% longer.
- 11 June:
- 23 June: Tailoring is introduced to Crafting skill.
- 12 July: The Black Hole Experience, which requires the now discontinued Disk of Returning to exit, and the Monastery (Prayer guild) is opened on Thursday.
- 29 July: The Bank of RuneScape is updated on Sunday, so players are able to store items instead of just coins. Runite weapons and armour are also released on this date.
- 13 August: The Wilderness is released on Monday. A new non-player character named Oziach, who would later play a role in the Dragon Slayer quest, is also released.
- 9 December: The Draynor Village Market, certificates, Black Weapons, Defence and Attack requirements to wield weapons and armour, and Capes are released on Sunday.
- 25 December: Christmas crackers, which contain Party hats, are dropped on Christmas Day, Tuesday.