|Release date||20 December 2011 (Update)|
|End date||4 January 2012 (Update)|
|Head developer||Mod Pi|
|Preceded by||O Little Town of Daemonheim (2010)|
|Succeeded by||A Stray in a Manger (2012)|
A Towering Feast, the 2011 Christmas event, was a seasonal RuneScape holiday event. It was announced in the December 2011 Behind the Scenes and was released on 20 December 2011. The event focused on the wizards of Wizards' Tower. Players were granted access to the annual Wizard Christmas Banquet, which - for the first time - was to be held in the Wizards' Tower as opposed to the Wizards' Guild in Yanille. The staff failed at the organisation and preparation, however, much to the annoyance and arrogance of the Guild wizards, bringing life to the We're-Better-Than-You battle against the Tower wizards. Desperately, Sedridor turned to you for aid, and you were eager to help organising the wizards a towering feast. Rewards for the event included a Chaotic Cookery emote based on making a feast using a cannon, a Christmas wand and a new pet for members.
A Christmas Banquet
To start this event, you would have to talk to Wizard Sinterklaas outside of the Wizards' Tower south of Draynor Village and Agree to visit the annual Wizard Christmas Banquet, then go through the portal against the wall of the tower.
The portal'd take you to a copy of the Wizards' Tower. Enter the door of the second tower and talk to Sedridor. He will ask you to wait in the library because you're early. Tell Sedridor you're there to help and he will explain that he does need it, because all the other early arrivals (wizards from the Wizards' Guild) are only there to criticise. He will tell you who needs help and where. And indeed, the small library contains Wizard Distentor, Zavistic Rarve and Wizard Frumscone who do nothing but negatively speak of the Tower wizards and the banquet, although they are quite friendly to you. You can help the wizards in any order.
During the quest if you talk to Sedridor he will explain the reason why there is a second tower, i.e. that the wizards are lazy and didn't want to both set up and tidy away, so they're going to set up in a pocket dimension for the feast and then destroy the dimension afterwards.
Isidor, the forgetful portal wizard, can be found in the basement of the tower. He needs help covering the floor of the banquet area in snow by placing snow emitters, in a similar fashion to Vinesweeper.
When placed, the emitters shoot snow in four directions, blocked by furniture and bricked edges. Removing an emitter also removes the snow it placed. You can also click next to the snow it emitted for it to be removed, but as before, do not click directly on it. Emitters must not be placed where they can fire at each other.
Isidor will enchant the player to see the weak spots in the inter-dimensional rifts. The weak spots are shown as numbers. The larger the number, the more emitters can be placed near them. Emitters can only be placed near these rifts.
It is impossible to complete the puzzle in resizeable mode with the click through chatbox option set to off. If off, you will find certain areas of the puzzle inaccessible, therefore having to restart the puzzle!
You are informed with a dialogue box when you have covered the floor with snow. If you think you have finished and do not get the dialogue then look carefully for a square that does not have snow on it. Speak to Isidor when done or this part of the event will not count as finished.
Helping Wizard Grayzag
Wizard Grayzag, or Wizard Whitezag for those players who have completed the Void Knight quest series, is on the 2ndUK] standing near floor[Wizard Mizgog. He's standing in a corner and wearing a black robe. He's supposedly summoning some waiters. He needs help finding imps that escaped from him and (to Mizgog's great amusement) took his hat. There are four imps (two outside the tower, and two inside). They are not very good at hiding though and as such easy to locate.
- On the 1stUK] under the bed closest to the staircase. floor[
- On the groundUK] of the tower hiding inside the bookcase in the south-west corner (near Frumscone). floor[
- Frozen in the fountain just outside the tower.
- In the oak tree around the back of the tower. This one will be wearing the wizard's hat too, which you will take from him.
When you have sent all the imps home, go back and report to Grayzag/Whitezag. You will suggest using Snow Imps as waiters, to which he will exclaim that it is a great idea. Then he will suddenly claim that he already was going to use snow imps and will say that it was his idea all along. Once the dialogue is over, you will receive credit for helping Grayzag with the waiting.
Helping Kris and Kringle
Return to the basement. Kris - a troll - and Kringle - a goblin - are chefs hired to handle the catering. Speak to Kringle, near the cooking device (which suspiciously looks a lot like a dwarf multicannon), and he will tell you to speak to Kris to find out what to do, after having complained about the smelliness of a human, of course. They need help finding the ingredients for the Christmas pudding. Players will need to find the following: five enchanted christmas puddings, a pair of eyes of a dragon, a pair of lesser demon claws, sparks from a wand (of which Mizgog apparently has a broken one), and some Christmas spirit.
- 5 Christmas Puddings: Watch for them to jump out of pots, jars, sacks, etc. then "Check". It is possible to get all the puddings from the same location.
- Use a Christmas spirit jar, given to you by Kris, on three different players or wizards. Kris, Kingle and Isidor are closest.
- Speak to Traiborn about dragon eyes. He is located on the 1stUK]. He will refuse to give you the eyes from his dragon bust, so must be distracted by selecting the " floor[thingummywut" option, at which point you will distract him, saying that there is a Thingummywut behind him, and automatically take the dragon eyes.
- Ask Wizard Mizgog, located near Timmy, if he has a broken wand to obtain a sparking wand.
- On the 2ndUK], Grayzag's pet demon floor[Timmy must be angered to obtain the claws. Attempting to converse will yield the first claw. Speak to Timmy again. An anger meter appears at the top of the screen. In order to fill the meter, you could:
- Simply attempt to talk to him.
- Go into his toy chest and take out items to use on Timmy. Toy dolls, snowballs, or Christmas puddings increase his anger level but all others decrease it. You could destroy his Christmas present, leading to a short conversation and his anger level rising.
- Do certain emotes. Among the emotes, Laugh, Jump for joy, Think, Jig, Blow Kiss, Raspberry, Flap and Stomp increase Timmy’s anger level, while Dance, Troubadour Dance, Yawn, Bow, Curtsy, Shrug, Headbang, Cry, Panic, Slap Head and Scared lower it. Most, if not all, other emotes have no effect.
- If you annoy him with the same action repeatedly, he will start ignoring you. Switch to another action when this happens.
- When his Anger meter completely fills, he will be so mad that you will be able to obtain the second set of claws.
- Sometimes the anger meter would appear to be completely filled but you don't get the claws. Simply do another option to actually complete the process.
Once you have retrieved all the items, head back down and talk to Kris. He will then tell you to go talk to Kringle. Kringle will tell you to add the ingredients to the cooking device. Add the ingredients to the "cooking device" in the order: Christmas puddings, Timmy's claws, dragon eyes, dwarven spice (found in barrel to the north of the cooking device), and Christmas spirit. Kringle would stop you if you try to add them in any wrong order.
Talk to Kringle and watch him cook. A short cutscene will play in which the "cooking device" shoots pudding all around the kitchen. It knocks Kris and Kringle down, but you quickly manage to dodge the pudding by letting it fly over your head, similar to evading darts in the Brimhaven Agility Arena.
After the cutscene, talk to Kringle again or it won't count as completed. He will say that he is a better cook than humans and that his pudding is delicious, despite the "accident".
Helping Wizard Sioncorn
For this part it is advised to play in fixed screen, or with low graphics settings, unless your computer is sufficiently fast.
Wizard Sioncorn, located on the top floor, is a fairy wizard who needs you to help her get some decorations out of the attic. It seems that the decorations have come alive due to leaked magic from being in an attic full of powerful magic artefacts, and they keep trying to escape from her. While she carries a box to the portal, grab the decorations that jump out. They include tinsel snakes, baubles and balloon animals. The baubles are the hardest to catch, being small and bouncing up and down rapidly. If more than six decorations escape, Wizard Sioncorn will teleport away, saying that they are everywhere. You must go through the portal to return to the Wizards' Tower, and talk to her to try again. If you fail, the decorations can still be grabbed, but this does not help in any way.
Do not stand in her way. She can't walk through you, so you'll need to keep the decorations in check for longer.
Once you are done grabbing the decorations, she will tell you it's okay to exit through the portal. When you attempt to do this, you'll get a message telling you if you leave anything on the floor, it will be lost forever. Exit anyway (unless you dropped something you need in there). Sioncorn will thank you for your help and her section of the event will be finished.
The Banquet Can Begin!
Go speak to Sedridor again to tell him you've finished. A cutscene will start, showing the wizards gathered around the table. Other guests, such as Bogrog from Gu'Tanoth, Sanfew from Taverley, Aubury from Varrock and Zimberfizz from Soul Wars are also attending the banquet.
An argument will break out between Grayzag/Whitezag and Frumscone, but Sedridor will teleport to a separate room to fight it out using snowmen. The banquet will commence and Sedridor will thank you. After the quest is complete, if you have your ice amulet from Chasing Jack Frost, you can summon your snow imp from the Land of Snow to join you at the Banquet dinner.
- Chaotic Cookery emote (if not already unlocked: Freeze, Snowman Dance, Dramatic Point and Seal of Approval)
- Christmas wand
- Sparkles (members only)
- Chaotic Cookery (upon entering the kitchen in the basement)
After the event
Sparkles the Tinsel Snake (members only)
After the quest, talk to Sedridor sitting at the table; he will tell you about the dilemma of the escaped Christmas snake. You can choose to catch Sparkles, a members only pet. To catch the snake, go to the kitchen and simply skim through all of the pots, bags and jars. There's a possibility of catching the snake while checking the items in the room, but it can also be found on the floor moving from one place to another.
The Battle of Snow
After the quest, you can enter the chamber that Grayzag/Whitezag and Frumscone were teleported to so you can fight for one of the wizards' snowman army. You can grab snowballs from one of the teams' snow piles and make snow mages, snow rangers and snow warriors using the eight piles on each side the battlefield. You can also throw snowballs at snowmen on your team (or the other's) for ten life points of healing. There is also a counter at the top of the screen showing how many snowmen each side has escorted to the other side. Upon reaching the other side, a snowman will melt, increasing his team's score by one. If you have your snowglobe from the 2007 Christmas Event, you can shake and use it to fill your inventory with snowballs, which allows you to make and heal snowmen easier during the battle.
Christmas around Gielinor
Many areas of Gielinor were updated along with the Christmas event to give them a more wintery appearance. Major towns and cities were covered in snow and decorated with Christmas trees, presents and snowmen.
Additionally, a large number of attackable snowmen would occasionally spawn in populated areas. These were escaped frosty creations from the Wizards' Tower. They were unaggressive, although players could kill these and would receive 5 snowballs or coal as a drop.
- The cutscene where the player dodges the pudding cannonball is a reference to the movie The Matrix. The same animation is also used in the Agility arena, when dodging darts.
- If you would try to set up a dwarf multicannon in the kitchen where the secret dwarven cooking device is, it would say "Too many cooks spoil the Christmas Pudding!"
- The examine option for the snow emiters is "BOOM...and that grotty dungeon floor is gone!" This is a reference from a Cillit Bang advertisement whose slogan is "BANG! And the dirt is gone!".
- Playing the organ in the Wizards' Tower during the event would result in one of several Christmas songs playing: Deck the Halls, Good King Wenceslas, We Wish You A Merry Christmas, or Jingle Bells.
- Searching the bookcases in the library would give different titles:
- Never imbibe frozen amber dihydrogen monoxide and other cautionary tales.
- 'Grrrrrrnnnaaaaarrr' and Other Famous Demon Quotes
- Making it Christmas every day with time contraction
- So you think you're a Mage? Volume 28
- Fire, Earth, and Water - What's it all about?
- The Dark Arts of Magical Wands
- How to become the Ultimate Wizard of the Universe
- Living with a Wizard Husband - a Housewife's Story
- Wind Strike for Beginners
- 101 Ways to Impress your Mates with Magic
- Wizard 2: Cast Harder
- Wizard 3: Cast Hard with a Vengeance
- Fremlins - A book about why you shouldn't give drinks to Fremennik after midnight
- 'The Life & Times of a Thingummywut' by Traiborn the Wizard
- 4-Dimensional Sudoku
- 100 Spells for Destroying Brussel Sprouts
- Interdimensional Twister and Other Parlour Games
- Idiots' Guide to Selling Dwarf Cannons to Goblins
- A Glittering Career - Autobiography of a Tinsel Snake
- Why Don't Dagannoths' Feet Freeze? And Other Interesting Facts
2011 Christmas event
|(m) denotes a feature is members only.|