|Release||23 November 2015 (Update)|
|Large, noble and wooly. He's still going to smush you into paste.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|150 / 100 / 50|
5 ticks (3.0s)
Acheron mammoths are monsters that require level 96 Slayer to kill. They were first revealed at RuneFest 2015, after being pitched on RuneLabs and being one of the November poll winners. They drop mammoth tusks, which can be used to summon the pack mammoth at level 99 Summoning.
Several Acheron mammoths inhabit an iceberg that has been separated from Acheron, far north of the Fremennik Province. This can be reached by using the large Fremennik ship on the pier north-east of Rellekka. Do not confuse the ship with the other one nearby; the smaller ship takes you to the iceberg during Cold War.
Acheron mammoths slowly gain adrenaline and can use the abilities Smash (disabling the player's protection prayers/curses), Sever, Freedom, and Pulverise along with a basic melee autoattack, which can deal around 2000 damage at maximum. When using Freedom, mammoths announce it by shouting "Freedom!". Unlike the player's Freedom, the one the mammoths use simply frees them from stuns and binds; it does not clear any bleeds.
The mammoths have a ranged attack where they grab a chunk of ice from the ground with their trunk before tossing it into the air, landing at the player's position when the mammoth started preparing the attack. This attack can be avoided by moving away from the tile the player was on when the mammoth first picked up the rock. It is best to dodge or Resonance the ice chunk, as it can deal over 4000 ranged damage with a 100% hit chance regardless of armour. They can use melee attacks during the ranged attack's animation.
They have a unique prayer deactivation mechanic they use if the player performs "dishonourable" conduct during the battle, which is performed by continuously running away from the mammoth and staying out of reach of its melee attacks. If such conduct is performed, the mammoth will throw 3 ice chunks at the player's position instead of one. If any of these ice chunks hit the player, a message will appear stating that "Your dishonourable conduct angers the gods, who refuse to listen to your prayers any longer.", disabling all prayers currently active (including Protect Item and Turmoil) and dealing heavy ranged damage.
Prayers can be immediately reactivated after being hit by the "dishonour" attack. However, it is possible for all 3 ice chunks to simultaneously deal damage to the player, potentially resulting in an instant death. Furthermore, players using weapons augmented with the Aftershock perk should be careful not to hit any other mammoths besides their current target with it; doing so can result in being attacked by the other mammoth's "dishonourable conduct" attack.
When fighting using Ranged or Magic attacks, mammoths will continuously use a ranged stunning attack. This will cause your run energy to be depleted, along with the deactivation of your prayers and a 5 second freeze. Freedom and Anticipation work against this freeze. It is recommended to fight them with melee so this attack does not occur.
Occasionally, the mammoths will stop attacking and have a charge-like animation. In addition, a blue bar will appear above the mammoth and fill up within 5 seconds.
Once the bar fills, the mammoth will charge up to 3 times in a row. Each charge can deal up to 8000 melee damage, and if Berserk or the Berserker aura is used, it is possible for the mammoth to instantly kill the player with one charge if it is not protected against.
The most effective way to reduce damage from the charge attack is to activate Resonance, which will heal the player to nearly full life points. The player should still be wary of any ranged attacks the mammoth may perform, since the charge animation will override their ranged animation. Protect from Melee or Deflect Melee. This will reduce the mammoth's damage to around 2000 per hit, and can be stacked with Devotion or Debilitate to further reduce damage.
The heavy damage of the ranged attack can severely harm or kill the player in conjunction with the charge attack, especially if the mammoth used the triple rock prayer deactivating attack or Smash. The mammoths can still be killed during their charge-up, preventing all damage from the charge.
Starting a fight
When initiating a fight with an Acheron mammoth, the player automatically says one of the following lines:
- En garde!
- Good sir, I challenge you to a duel.
- I challenge thee to a duel.
- I mock your ancestors!
- I'd throw down my gloves, but they're rather pricey.
- Let's do this!
- Mammoth! I challenge you!
- Manners maketh man
- Round one: FIGHT!
The mammoth will then respond with one of their lines respective to what the player said:
- That's my job!
- Ahaa as you wish.
- I accept your challenge! or My name is...
- I'm sorry you feel the need to throw your life away.
- Yours are not even worthy of that.
- You're going to need them to defeat me!
- I trust you have a good note about how your remains will be handled?
- Prepare to join your ancestors!
- Are we going to stand here talking, or are we going to fight?
- Erm... yes?
If the "Mammoth! I challenge you!" option is said, the mammoth may say "My name is <name>!". When this happens, it will also change their name label to the name they said.
Known names include:
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 710 kills.|
4 charms are dropped at a time.
|Adamantite ore||9–16 (noted)||Common||2,241–3,984|
|Water talisman||3–5 (noted)||Common||11,358–18,930|
|Water orb||8–12 (noted)||Common||39,192–58,788|
|Mahogany logs||20–40 (noted)||Uncommon||6,820–13,640|
|Blue dragonhide||5–19 (noted)||Uncommon||13,050–49,590|
|Onyx bolt tips||3–9||Uncommon||23,007–69,021|
|Uncut diamond||6–10 (noted)||Uncommon||16,752–27,920|
|Unicorn horn||10–14 (noted)||Rare||26,020–36,428|
|Raw shark||15–25 (noted)||Rare||13,440–22,400|
|Adamant bar||10–15 (noted)||Rare||14,180–21,270|
|Rare drop table||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Cursed amascut sand||1||Very rare (1/1024)[d 1]||11,786,617|
|Sealed clue scroll (hard)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Sealed clue scroll (elite)||1||Rare[d 2]||Not sold|
|Raptor key part 4||1||Very rare[d 3]||Not sold|
|Court summons||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- ^ Mod Shauny. Wiki - Rev Pet calculator, plus some Slayer Collection Log drop rates. 9 October 2019.*
- ^ There is a 1% chance of this being a sealed clue scroll (master) instead
- ^ 1/256 chance; only drops during Slayer tasks.
Rare drop table
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items such as a ring of wealth or luck of the dwarves are not required to access the table.
|Show/hide rare drop table|
|Uncut diamond||45–55 (noted)||Rare||125,640–153,560|
|Loop half of a key||1||Common||11,753|
|Tooth half of a key||1||Common||15,227|
|Uncut dragonstone||45–55 (noted)||Rare||569,475–696,025|
|Rune platebody||15–25 (noted)||Rare||562,200–937,000|
|Shield left half||1||Rare||64,894|
|Onyx bolts||135–165||Very rare||1,065,690–1,302,510|
|Water talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||246,090–310,452|
|Earth talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||11,570–14,596|
|Fire talisman||25–35 (noted)||Rare||7,850–10,990|
|Raw lobster||135–165 (noted)||Common||59,805–73,095|
|Raw shark||225–275 (noted)||Uncommon||201,600–246,400|
|Big bones||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||11,084–13,366|
|Dragon bones||180–220 (noted)||Rare||338,580–413,820|
|Gold ore||90–110 (noted)||Common||33,030–40,370|
|Adamantite ore||180–220 (noted)||Uncommon||44,820–54,780|
|Adamant bar||14–16 (noted)||Common||19,852–22,688|
|Adamant bar||135–165 (noted)||Rare||191,430–233,970|
|Runite ore||90–110 (noted)||Rare||94,050–114,950|
|Rune bar||3 (noted)||Common||6,504|
|Rune bar||45–55 (noted)||Rare||97,560–119,240|
|Grimy torstol||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||703,890–860,310|
|Grimy snapdragon||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||171,540–209,660|
|Super restore (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||180,180–220,220|
|Prayer potion (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||172,755–211,145|
|Dwarf weed seed||14–16||Uncommon||12,026–13,744|
|Palm tree seed||10||Rare||499,440|
|Molten glass||45–55 (noted)||Common||12,060–14,740|
|Soft clay||450–550 (noted)||Uncommon||266,850–326,150|
|Yew logs||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||12,308–14,842|
|Yew logs||675–825 (noted)||Rare||122,175–149,325|
|Teak plank||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||15,525–18,975|
|Mahogany plank||270–330 (noted)||Rare||234,900–287,100|
|Vecna skull||1||Very rare||74,132|
|Hazelmere's signet ring||1||Very rare||1,590,640,621|
|Brawling gloves (Melee)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Magic)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Agility)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (FM)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Mining)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (WC)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Mimic kill token||1||Very rare||9,031|
- Acheron mammoths were first mentioned in 2004 in a Behind the Scenes article as a future update. A model was made for them, although it was ultimately unused.
- They make small appearance in player-owned ports, as a Mammoth Head can be built at an icon hotspot.
- The Mammoth was an option in a guaranteed content poll on 28 April 2008. It was a possibility for one of the future summoning familiars, although it was outvoted by the phoenix.
- "Manners maketh man" and the reply "Are we going to stand here talking, or are we going to fight?" are a reference to the film Kingsman: The Secret Service.
- "Round One: FIGHT!" may possibly be a reference to the Mortal Kombat series. It may also possibly be a reference to Street Fighter.
- Before 28 November 2016, mammoths had a stomp attack used against players who moved under them that dealt over 3,000 typeless damage. The blue adrenaline bar that signifies their charge attack was also made more visible, as sometimes it would not appear until the attack actually commenced.
- Mammoth tusks previously had a 1/25 drop rate. This was changed to a guaranteed drop on 3 July 2017.
- The mammoth name "Henrik" is likely a reference to Mod Shogun, who helped create them.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this monster was 6,668 kills.
- ^ Mod Timbo. "Dev Blog: Revealing Drop Rates." 17 November 2017. Existing Game Content Forums.
- ^ Mod Shauny. "Dev Blog: Revealing Drop Rates." 1 December 2017. Existing Game Updates Forums.
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 2 Feb 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. 6 May 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*