|Release||10 March 2014 (Update)|
|Its wings shine with the old light of distant stars.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|112 / 74 / 37|
5 ticks (3.0s)
Celestial dragons are modified white dragons that use temporal abilities to stun their opponents. They can be found in the Dragontooth Island resource dungeon after the One of a Kind quest is complete.
During the quest, an instanced version of the resource dungeon is visited with around six attackable Celestial dragons which drop only Dragon bones - they do not appear to respawn. After that stage is complete, the full version of the dungeon is available.
The two quickest ways to get to the Celestial Dragons is by either using the Dungeoneering cape perk, or by teleporting to the Dragontooth Island resource dungeon with a Hoardstalker Ring, Big Book o' Piracy, or the skill portal in the Max Guild. An alternative method would be to teleport to Port Phasmatys with an Ectophial and then running south-east to the boat that travels to Dragontooth Island. A ghostspeak amulet, or completion of the Hard Morytania achievements, is required to talk to the ghost captain.
The celestial dragons' special ability is to freeze the player in time for a short duration. The time freeze effect lasts for approximately three seconds and stops any channeled abilities the player is performing, such as rapid fire. It also traps familiars and followers in space and time, making it disappear from the current realm for the duration of the freeze, at the end of which it returns. The animation for this ability shows the dragon raising its wings as it casts a spell, followed by a green orb expanding around you. The player will also see receive a message in the chat box saying, "The celestial dragon traps you in time." Anticipation will not stop the stun from occurring, but Freedom can be used to break free from the stun.
Celestial dragons seem to use their time trapping ability after every 5 auto attacks and always attack with dragonfire or melee (depending on the player's distance away). As such, if the player can deal enough damage to kill the dragon in a short period of time, this attack can be avoided altogether. One may stun a dragon with Binding Shot to delay its next attack, effectively delaying the time trap.
The time trap ability does not reset if the dragon has been left alone. Therefore, if a dragon attacks four times and is left alone (full life point restoration), the next attack or second attack from the dragon when attacked results in a time trap.
Because players take no damage from celestial dragons other than dragonfire when outside melee distance, it is recommended to use the gear with the best damage bonuses specific to the style used.
These dragons can be killed very quickly when using ranged power armour, super antifire potions or wyrmfire potions, a crystal or higher bow, and super or higher ranging potions. Standing at least a few spaces away from the dragon and drinking a dose of super antifire/wyrmfire, will remove all risk of damage. A healing familiar will not be needed, so a combat familiar such as a shadow nihil can be used for faster kills.
As these dragons are weak to arrows and have very high defence, it is important to note that magic and bolt-firing weapons (unless used with dragonbane bolts ) are not as effective as arrow-firing weapons. It should also be noted that a player with tier 80 or higher ranged gear and stats will find they have sufficient accuracy to do well here with any weapon and ammo set up, whereas magic and melee accuracy will still struggle. A player who does not have the required level to make super antifires will find it very long and time consuming to kill those dragons. A good strategy for players who do not have access to these potions is to fight the dragons in melee range with a bow and regular antifires, while having a melee protection prayer on. When combined with a healing familiar, this strategy will be almost as effective as super antifires, the only downside being the damage taken.
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 27,561 kills.|
2 charms are dropped at a time.
|Steel platebody||8 (noted)||Uncommon||15,648|
|Fire talisman||4 (noted)||Uncommon||1,212|
|Water talisman||2 (noted)||Uncommon||7,340|
|Unicorn horn||4 (noted)||Common||7,008|
|Adamant bar||4 (noted)||Common||7,288|
|Green dragonhide||2 (noted)||Common||3,290|
|Blue dragonhide||2 (noted)||Common||5,142|
|Red dragonhide||2 (noted)||Uncommon||5,484|
|Black dragonhide||2 (noted)||Uncommon||6,528|
|Dagannoth hide||4 (noted)||Uncommon||18,432|
|Sealed clue scroll (hard)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Sealed clue scroll (elite)||1||Rare[d 1]||Not sold|
|Draconic visage||1||Rare (1/512)[d 2]||1,183,374|
|Dragon Rider kit||1||Very rare||663,158|
|Starved ancient effigy||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Celestial handwraps||1||Very rare[d 3]||180,026|
|Dragon Rider body||1||Very rare||184,804|
|Dragon Rider cape||1||Very rare||213,558|
|Dragon Rider chaps||1||Very rare||228,132|
|Dragon Rider helm||1||Very rare||111,682|
- ^ There is a 1% chance of this being a sealed clue scroll (master) instead
- ^ Mod Timbo. "Revealing Drop Rates." 17 November 2017. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ Only while on a Slayer assignment.
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Mimic kill token||1||Very rare||9,049|
- There is a glitch where, if a dragon is killed just as the player is about to be trapped in time, no death animation occurs.
- Celestial dragons originally counted as steel dragons for slayer assignments. With the update on 14 April 2014, they were made a category of their own.
- The time stop ability used to make any followers or familiars temporarily disappear for the duration of the move. Dreadnips would not, as they are not actual followers.
- This ability also seemed to negate the effects of the spring cleaner for that kill. If the dragon dropped a Rune platebody, the spring cleaner would not dismantle/convert into xp.
- Prior to 5 January 2015, the dragon slayer gloves did not work against them, despite the fact that they are dragons.
- For a long time after release, the dragon would leave combat with the player if the player did not resume attacking within a certain period of time after its time trap wore off. This was fixed as of 18 August 2014.
- If the dragon uses its time stop ability, players will suffer a 3 second stun and bind. If they use Freedom during or before the time stop, provided that the effects of Freedom are still in effect, only the stun effect will take place, with the bind effect being prevented or removed. This does not work with Anticipate, and may be a glitch.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this monster was 115,028 kills.
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 2 Feb 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. 6 May 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*