|Release date||11 January 2012 (Update)|
Char's training cave is unlocked after the The Firemaker's Curse quest is completed. It requires level 91 Firemaking to start training. Temporary firemaking boosts do not work. Bring The Book of Char with you.
The fastest way to get there is by using the teleport function on the Book of Char, teleporting you right in front of the cave's entrance. The next fastest way is to use the World Gate teleport via the Sixth-Age circuit, which is unlocked after The World Wakes. Another closer teleport location is the Eagles' Peak lodestone, provided you have activated it. It is also possible to use the fairy rings (code:AKQ) and then take the boat near the entrance of the Fishing Colony, or to use the Spirit tree teleport.
To start the training you must speak to Char, who is just in the entrance of the cave. The training consists of making the logless fires using a Pitch can, which can be found close to Char, into as many accepted symbols in the gridded area as possible within the 5 minute time limit. The symbols are visible in the Book of Char. There is one symbol, the Zaros symbol, that Char did not note down as it is 'very close to her heart.' When you first make the Zaros symbol however, it will appear in the Book of Char along with the others.
Char will let you "Start" training even if you forget to bring the Book of Char. However, without both the book and a pitch can, you will be unable to light any fires.
- Concentric squares (do the inner ring first or it will be counted as a square)
- Symbol of Zaros
The symbols can be completed in any order or one or more symbols repeated. When you are done making a symbol, Char will clear the grid of all fires and you may begin making a new pattern.
These numbers are the experience for the fires added to the completion bonuses. To maximise experience, do as many Spirals as possible. In this way, it is possible to gain 57,981 experience by doing 7 Spiral Patterns, however this will require very few mistakes and fast clicking throughout. If you do not have enough time to complete the final spiral, you may finish it as a Square instead.
This translates to around 62748 to 77507 exp in one training period of 5 minutes, giving this method an experience rate of 757,970 to 930,090 xp/hr.
The orientation of these charts is for a camera facing north.
| 88,620 |
(with 1:00 left)
| 70,920 |
(with 1:20 left)
|Symbol of Zaros||Breakdown|
The best way to train is to make as many Spirals as possible during the 5 minutes alotted and making a square at the end if you do not have time for another.
To start, face your camera so that the fountain is at the top of your screen. At this angle, you will always move right when making a fire with the pitch can. This makes doing the horizontal lines very easy.
To make horizontal lines fast, start at the farthest left square (if camera is facing south, with the fountain at the top of your screen) and right click "Make-fire here" option. After making this fire, quickly left click the Pitch can or use it with your action bar and you will make a fire in front of you. Move to the next unlit spot and repeat.
The fastest way to make the vertical lines seems to be by moving to the centre of each block and use the right click "Make-fire here" option with the Pitch can.
When done fast enough you can make a spiral in less than 40 seconds and achieve 7 spirals within 5 minutes. This, however, requires precision and the ability bar to more quickly light fires when going west to east. When done fast enough 7 spirals will leave time for a cross resulting in the most experience. If you do not have enough time to complete the final spiral, you may finish it as a square instead, which is then already partially complete.
There are four Fire creatures that can be obtained from this activity as a pet. Warming Flame, Glowing Ember, Twisted Firestarter, and Searing Flame. They can be all found wandering around the training cave after the player has completed the activity at least once. The pets may be stored in the menagerie at your house. You can only have one pet at a time. However, you can own 2 of the same pet. If one is in your house, you can go back to the cave and get another of the same pet. If you want a different pet, you can store one type of fire creature and claim another one from the cave.
Additionally, there is chance that the player will receive a tradeable Pitch can (full) which allows the player to create lines of fires with increased speed.
- Impressing Char ( 10) - Create Char's most treasured symbol in her training cave.
- It is possible to have more than one of the same orb pet, even if you have one in the menagerie in your house. Char allows you to take another pet of the same kind from the training cave.
- There used to be a glitch where keeping more than one fire creature in your menagerie would cause other pets withdrawn from it to run away when dropped. This has been fixed.
- The training cave originally gave 1/10 of the experience intended. This was fixed within a day of release.
- The Twisted Firestarter is a possible reference to the film 'Firestarter' and almost definitely a reference to the song 'Firestarter' by 'The Prodigy', the main line being 'I'm a Firestarter, Twisted Firestarter'.
- Experience gained from Char's training cave will not count towards the growth progress of a Harmony Pillar attuned to the firemaking skill.
- On 16 April 2018 the minigame was updated. Changes included reducing the time per session to 5 minutes and the addition of the Pitch can which can be used outside of the minigame to increase the speed of line firemaking and bonfire firemaking.
|Related to the Return of Zaros quest series|