|Release date||Unknown edit|
|Hunter level||53 Hunter|
|Location||Piscatoris Hunter area|
|Preferred bait||Spicy chopped tomato|
|Retaliation||20 life points, if killed|
|Examine||It looks fluffy and cute; it's probably deadly.|
Chinchompas (commonly known as Grey chinchompas) are explosive animals that may be captured with the box trap hunting technique. Killing them causes an explosion to occur, damaging the aggressing player by a maximum of 20 life points. However, if it is done at a distance (with a bow or spell), the exploding chinchompa will not harm the player. This item is part of a class of explosive, multi-target ranged weapons.
Chinchompas can be found at the Piscatoris Hunter area.
Box trapping a Chinchompa requires a Hunter level of 53, and each caught animal gives 198.5 experience.
A fast but more attention-needing method of catching chinchompas is the "stand and shoot" method. The player should equip a bow and about 1000+ arrows (a sling would also work), go to a crowded world, and figure out where one chinchompa respawns by killing one and seeing where it appears. Once the player knows the exact location where a chinchompa respawns, they should surround the square with their box traps. Then, as the chinchompa appears, it will either enter a trap, or it will dismantle at least one trap and hop away. If the chinchompa dismantles the traps, the player should immediately kill it with an arrow and set the traps up again as fast as possible. In about three to four seconds, the chinchompa will respawn again, and the player may repeat the process of "standing and shooting" if necessary. This method has been tested to be more experience per hour than the traditional "set-up traps and wait" method, because the player can just make the chinchompa respawn and make it more likely to enter a trap rather than wait while it wanders around.
While at the Piscatoris Hunter area, a popular place to hunt chinchompas is just a couple clicks north of the musician, next to the Yew tree. You could set your traps and cut logs while you are waiting for a trap to go off. It is recommended that you use these logs for either Firemaking or Fletching experience, but if you choose the latter you would either have to alch the product or drop them altogether, unless you are willing to make multiple trips to the bank.
With the introduction of the second batch of Summoning familiars, the chinchompa (as an item) is now a secondary ingredient for infusing Giant chinchompa pouches. Chinchompas currently sell for 337 coins each when sold on the Grand Exchange. Their price rose considerably after the Bot Nuke Day, but since has slowly declined.
- Carnivorous chinchompa (hunter creature)
- Red chinchompa (weapon from captured carnivorous chinchompa)
- A chinchompa named Ridgeley powers the spinning pole with a treadmill at the Falador Hairdresser's building.
- The chinchompa's looks and name are most likely based on the real-life 'chinchilla'.
- The chinchompa may be based on an enemy in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask called a Real Bombchu, from which weapons can be derived but explode on touch.
- If you go to the Piscatoris Hunting Area through fairy rings (code AKQ) and back, a chinchompa may come with you into Zanaris. Killing one on Zanaris will temporarily transform your player into a chinchompa. Catching the chinchompa with a box trap is also possible there, just as if you caught it in the hunter area.
- This monster did not have its health multiplied by 10x with the Constitution update, this is because it does not have a combat level, just a yellow attack button.
- No protection prayer will stop the damage that is done if a player kills a chinchompa with melee; however, the player can avoid damage by running away in time.
- When wielding a chinchompa, the animation of running, walking, and breathing is like it was before the update. This has been fixed.
- Attacking a chinchompa without killing it will cause it to retreat. They never retaliate directly. Sometimes players cast curses on them to drive them away, preventing other players from trapping them, but this is often frowned upon. However, this could be used to interfere with bots.