Many types of runes can be bought from various rune shops
for considerably less than their Grand Exchange
market value. Many of these shops hold a stock of 1,000 of the basic elemental runes
, of which most notably air runes and fire runes yield a notable profit when sold in the Grand Exchange.
As of August 22, 2018, water runes and earth runes have higher shop prices than their Grand Exchange price so those should not be bought unless those prices change in the future.
- Teleport to the Burthorpe lodestone, run east to Carwen Essencebinder Magical Runes Shop, and purchase all of the air, water, earth, fire, and body runes.
- Teleport to the Varrock lodestone, run north-east to Aubury's Rune Shop, and purchase all of the air, water, earth, fire, and body runes.
- Teleport to the Al Kharid lodestone, run north to Ali's Discount Wares, and purchase all of the air, water, earth, fire, body, and nature runes. Opening Ali's rune shop requires talking to him and selecting the appropriate dialogue options ("I would like to have a look at your selection of runes." and "Buy elemental runes.")
- Teleport to the Port Sarim lodestone, run north to Betty's Magic Emporium (located in the northernmost house in Port Sarim), and purchase all of the air, water, earth, fire, and body runes.
- From Betty's shop, run south to the second-southernmost pier at the Port Sarim docks, and click on the Squire to travel to the Void Knights' Outpost. From your arrival spot in the outpost run south-west to the Void Knight Magic Store and purchase all of the air, water, earth, fire, and body runes.
- Teleport to the Yanille lodestone, run east to the Magic Guild, go up the stairs to the second floor where Magic Guild Store - Runes and Staves is located, and purchase all the air, water, earth, fire, body, and nature runes.
- Teleport to the Lunar Isle lodestone, click the walking house to the north to enter it and reach Baba Yaga who runs the Baba Yaga's Magic Shop, and purchase all the air, water, earth, fire, body, and nature runes.
- Travel to Ape Atoll either by casting the Teleport to Ape Atoll spell or by other means, equip a greegree, and run to Tutab's Magical Market, located in the southern part of the marketplace. Purchase all the air, water, earth, and fire runes.
- Teleport to the Edgeville lodestone, bank all your items, and run north to the Mage of Zamorak's shop Battle Runes, located in level 5 Wilderness. Purchase all of the air, water, earth, fire, and body runes.
- Return to Edgeville and bank all your items. Make sure you have a knife in your tool belt or are carrying a slashing weapon. Head south to the ruined building in Edgeville and travel to level 51 Wilderness by pulling the Edgeville teleport lever. Exit the Deserted Keep you find yourself in by cutting through the cobweb blocking the way north, and head west to a small ruined building north of the Mage Arena. Cut through the two cobwebs blocking the way and pull the lever to be transported to the small cave where Lundail runs his Arena-side Rune Shop. This is a safe area that is not considered part of the Wilderness and also contains a bank, so you may purchase the runes from the shop in peace. Purchase all the air, water, earth, fire, body, and nature runes.
Some of these rune shops are best accessed via the same lodestone teleports as some stores that sell feathers, so combining the shop run for feathers with this one can save some time.
Players may want to use some of the acquired runes in the Rune Goldberg Machine D&D. In this case, taking the opportunity to purchase some of the less profitable runes to replenish one's supplies may be desirable. For information on profitability of shop-bought runes in comparison the the Grand Exchange prices as well as available runes and which shops sell which, see this calculator.
Changing the buy warning value
in shop warning options in the gameplay setting to at least 120,000 will remove any warning when trying to buy 300 nature or law runes at once. This can help quicken the purchasing process.