- Introduction to Combat
- Combat Styles
- The Combat Triangle
- Targeting, Enemy Weaknesses and Damage Types
- Using the Ability Bar and Basic Abilities
- Adrenaline, Threshold Abilities and Ultimate Abilities
- Ability Effects
The academy is located at Lumbridge, west of the Smithing tutor and north of the General Store. It can be also accessed from either the first login after the Evolution of Combat update, or the designated button located on the game control panel (shown to the left). In the area are seven training dummy dispensers, which could be used to dispense a dummy, with options to choose its combat style, weakness and strength. After the dummy appears, the player could opt to turn on retaliation to have it fight back. There are also three stationary dummies that are weak against nothing.
At the east end of the Combat Academy are three sets of armour, one for melee, one for ranged and one for magic. The "take from" option, instead of giving the player armour, puts a set of abilities into the player's current action bar. The melee abilities are Slice, Backhand, Punish, Sever, Dismember, Slaughter, Assault, Overpower, Anticipation and Freedom, in that order. The ranged abilities are Piercing Shot, Snipe, Binding Shot, Fragmentation Shot, Ricochet, Snap-Shot, Bombardment, Deadshot, Incendiary Shot, Anticipation and Freedom. The magic abilities are Wrack, Dragon Breath, Impact, Combust, Chain, Asphyxiate, Wild Magic, Omnipower, Tsunami, Anticipation and Freedom.
To start the tutorial, you have to empty all your belongings in both inventory and equipment slots. There is a deposit box to deposit items into your bank. Afterwards, talk to Lady Deathknell. You can start with the beginning or any particular courses.
In each course, you act as a demonstration assistant to perform action on what Lady Deathknell says. The courses will proceed in different sessions.
After you complete certain actions, you can proceed to the next session by talking to Lady Deathknell. You can also leave the session in the middle, but you need to go through the whole courses again next time.
Your performance is graded according to certain outcomes in the form of Ranks: Champion, Hero, and Legend. The outcomes can be accessed from the interface when you right-click on Lady Deathknell and "start-tutorial".
Introduction to Combat
- Champion - Kill the skeleton.
- Hero - Kill the skeleton without too many prompts from Lady Deathknell.
- Legend - Kill the skeleton with few or no prompts from Lady Deathknell.
- Champion - Attack the training dummy, rarely or never choosing the correct style.
- Hero - Attack the training dummy, choosing the correct style most of the time.
- Legend - Attack the training dummy, choosing the correct style all of the time.
The Combat Triangle
- Champion - Attack the skeletons, rarely or never choosing the weakest skeleton.
- Hero - Attack the weakest skeleton most of the time.
- Legend - Attack the weakest skeleton first time most of the time.
Targeting, Enemy Weaknesses and Damage Types
In this section, the player will assist Lady Deathknell to identify and exploit opponents' weakness.
Notes: 1) At one point, the noticeboard tells you to select the magic spell "Wind Strike" - there is no Wind Strike in your spellbook, so just select "Air Strike" and continue. 2) Lady Deathknell presents a dummy, not skeletons, and when she says "Excellent, try another" be sure to 'Target' the dummy again in order to select the proper weapon for attacking it the 2nd and 3rd times.
- Champion - Attack a skeleton, rarely or never picking the skeleton that is naturally weak to the weapon provided.
- Hero - Attack the skeleton that is naturally weak to the weapon provided some of the time.
- Legend - Attack the skeleton that is naturally weak to the weapon provided most of the time.
Using the Ability Bar and Basic Abilities
- Champion - Kill all the skeletons.
- Hero - Kill all the skeletons and use an ability.
- Legend - Kill all the skeletons and using multiple abilities from the action bar.
Adrenaline, Threshold Abilities and Ultimate Abilities
- Champion - Kill the skeletal juggernaut.
- Hero - Kill the skeletal juggernaut and use a threshold or an ultimate ability.
- Legend - Kill the skeletal juggernaut and use a threshold and an ultimate ability.
- The juggernaut heals itself whenever it is out of combat. For players who can knock it down before having enough adrenaline, run away from the arena. When the health bar of juggernaut disappears, attack again to gather enough adrenaline for the abilities.
- Insert and use the range or magic abilities for instant movement in your ability bar to increase your adrenaline levels without inflicting additional damage.
- Champion - Kill all the skeletons
- Hero - Kill all the skeletons using an ability effect
- Legend - Kill all the skeletons using multiple ability effects
Rank is achieved by completing particular outcomes in the courses. The outcomes can be examined from hovering the icons on the interfaces.
They are in three-tiers: Champion (a throne), Hero (a star), and Legend (a dragon).
If you achieved higher rank, the lower ranks would also be unlocked.
- After finishing a section in the combat academy, the player can open the course interface and right-click on the rank and select Claim-Reward to claim the reward. A reward book will be granted to the player. Each rank gives a reward book, giving experience to combat skills only (Attack, Strength, Defence, Constitution, Ranged, Magic, Prayer, Herblore, Summoning and Slayer) at players' choices. The amount of experience can be estimated with the following formula (with x represents the skill level): $ Experience = x^2 - 2x + 100 $ You can claim your reward book on right clicking Lady Deathknell and clicking on claim reward.
- Completing the Combat Academy allows one to toggle its designated menu tab into a shortcut to the Quest Journal.
- Choosing to partake in the Combat Academy survey during the beta period allowed one to redeem an experience-granting dusty tome from Diango.
- The Combat Academy replaces the former training facility with Harlan, Nemarti and Mikasi.
- Players used to have the ability to teleport directly to the Combat Academy, however the ability has recently been removed for players who have completed the Academy already. For players who still haven't completed it, this ability to teleport directly to the Combat Academy remains. This has been fixed after the update on 17 June 2013.
- You cannot teleport to combat academy while in combat.
- The Combat Academy was given a bank when RuneScape 3 was first released.
- Free players can use some members abilities in the Combat Academy.
- The academy weapons in the training sessions appear to have a hidden damage modifier that immensely increases the damage they deal to any dummies. Although possessing tier 5 stats, they deal more damage than any other weapon throughout the entire game.
- When this was first released, you were given an option to teleport to there directly upon login: