Corrupted Scarabs may appear around Shifting Tombs entrances in Menaphos, at the mine in the worker district, and periodically outside the Sophanem Slayer Dungeon. They may also be found in the treasure chests in Shifting Tombs. They can be burst to gain a small amount of Reputation and a high amount of Slayer experience. However, this also deals damage to the player that varies based on their Constitution level.
If multiple players click the same scarab they will all be able to burst it even if one player clicks later and the scarab has already been burst showing the splatter animation where it was.
After a teaser for the Magister, the scarabs started spawning in Menaphos.
- The scarabs occasionally appear in Menaphos and will remain there for up to 5 minutes.
- The scarabs appear slightly less commonly than soul obelisks, averaging around 90 minutes per spawn.
- There is a small chance of receiving a small bonus experience star.
- The scarabs always drop coins in groups of 200–499 or, uncommonly, 80,163–89,671 coins while bursting them.
- When scarabs spawn in a world, there is a game message: Agitated scarabs have burrowed up onto the surface and are spreading corruption!
- Swarms appear at all four Shifting Tombs entrances, at the sandstone mine in the Worker district, and outside the Sophanem Slayer Dungeon simultaneously.
The experience and reputation gained from the Scarabs decreases with the amount of Scarabs squished. This decrease resets at 00:00 UTC. The base experience seems to be the experience a Small XP lamp gives divided by 5.
|Amount of scarabs slain||Base Reputation||Percentage of base experience/reputation|
|1 to 23||50||100%|
|24 to 35||25||50%|
|36 to 47||16.5||33%|
|48 to 59||12.5||25%|
- Squishing Level ( 5) - Squish X corrupted scarabs. (Tier1: 1, Tier2: 10, Tier3: 50, Tier4: 100, and Tier5: 200).
- Scarab swarms will reappear if the player leaves the area and comes back. The fastest way to do this is to travel to another district, or enter and exit the shifting tombs. Particularly, the Port and Merchant districts are good areas: The scarabs are very dense in their spot in the Port district, and their spot in the Merchant district is close to a bank. The Worker district is also quite useful, as multiple spawn clusters appear right next to one another, one being right next to the bank chest (if unlocked). The acadia trees in the Imperial district can often interfere with clicking on scarabs accurately, and conventional wisdom dictates to skip over it when hopping between districts.
- An individual scarab can be squashed multiple times. The player can receive damage every tick by 'spam-clicking' on them, and there is a brief cooldown before the rewards can be gained, seemingly 2-3 ticks (1.2-1.8 seconds). With good connection and some practice, a single scarab can give rewards up to four times.
- Place a food item on your ability bar. Eating food this way does not interrupt you from squashing scarabs. Running to and from the bank is not worth the opportunity cost; the scarabs' coin drops alone more than make up for decent-healing and cheap food, such as Desert sole or Beltfish, which will be sufficient even at 99 Constitution. Be sure to leave at least one inventory space free for the small prismatic stars they can drop.
- Use a Friends chat to more easily give and receive scarab locations. Friends chats dedicated to the Soul obelisks will also usually give scarab locations.
- If outside of Menaphos, the Imperial district's shifting tombs location is the closest to the lodestone.