|Release||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|• Converts grass to beef.|
• Where beef comes from.
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|1 / 1 / 0|
4 ticks (2.4s)
Cows are a bovine monster that is often killed for their hide, and new players may find useful to train on. They are one of the first monsters new players can encounter around Burthorpe. Cows in the Burthorpe field will grant 7 experience while the regular cows located everywhere else grant 35 experience when killed in combat. Along with cows, players can also find weaker cow calves and non-attackable dairy cows.
In the cow field located north-east of Lumbridge Castle or the field in Taverley, players can easily make money. At current Grand Exchange rates, players can make 1,303 coins per cow, providing that they sell the Raw Beef, Cowhide, and Bones from a cow, so they would make 11,727 coins per inventory from all drops.
When a cow dies, it drops raw beef (which gives Cooking experience when cooked), a cowhide (which players can sell for profit or turn into leather items for Crafting experience) and bones (which players can bury for Prayer experience). The vast majority of cows drop nothing beyond bones, raw beef, and cowhide.
Zanaris, a different realm to RuneScape, is the only place with talking cows. The cows of Zanaris seem to dislike the sheep as well as other players, and are apparently unaware of their ability to talk. There is also a windmill that is powered by a cow in lieu of the wind, which technically makes it a "cowmill". Also, when walking around or being attacked, the cow will often say "Moo" as if it had been typed by a player. A cow is also one of the possible NPCs players can talk to using the NPC Contact spell.
- Lumbridge farm
- North of the windmill north-west of Lumbridge (around Beefy Bill). This spot is perhaps the quickest way to get cowhides; simply take the obtained cowhides from the killed cattle and give them to Beefy Bill to transport to your bank (with a commission).
- Zanaris (level 1)
- Sinclair Mansion
- Around the west and south sides of the Crafting Guild
- South of Falador at the cabbage patch. The closest bank is in Falador (run time 28 seconds) where you can deposit the drops. Although, if you have the explorer's ring 3 and ring of kinship, you could teleport to Daemonheim and bank your drops (short run). Then teleport back to the cabbage patch and climb over the small stile directly to the cow field. Or home teleport to Port Sarim and run north, slightly east.
- Taverley cow pens. One is found west of the Stone Circle, and the other west of the Pet Shop. These cows are level 1, and unlike other cows, respawn extremely quickly, taking only roughly 3 seconds. This makes it a good spot for new players to train.
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 69,952 kills.|
1 charm is dropped at a time.
|Staff of air||1||Rare||1,838|
|Spirit sapphire||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit emerald||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit ruby||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Starved ancient effigy(m)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Mimic kill token||1||Very rare||9,849|
- When the cow says "Moo", the sound of a moo can usually be heard from the speakers.
- If you attempt to talk to a cow in Zanaris, it will prompt the message: "Hmm, interesting, there appears to be a human trying to talk to me. Is it aware that cows can't talk I wonder? Maybe if I just ignore it, it might go away."
- If you use an item on a cow or calf a message will appear saying "The cow doesn't want that."
- The cows used to have horns.
- There is a signpost outside of the Lumbridge cow pen that says the number of cows killed in the world the player is in.
- On 28 August 2018, cows outside of Zanaris were temporarily replaced with strawberry, vanilla and chocolate cows as a teaser for the upcoming Player-owned farm update. The standard cows returned to their spots when the player-owned farm was released on 3 September 2018.