Crondis is a goddess with the head of a crocodile and the body of a woman. She is one of the four minor gods of the Menaphite Pantheon, and her following is particularly strong in Menaphos and Sophanem. However, as she is rarely spoken of, little is known of her.
During Tumeken's Dream, he travelled to Ullek, hoping to see how devout they were. When he arrived, they arranged a feast, and he saw them as excessive and wasteful. He left the the city dispirited and headed into the nearby swamp, where he saw a crocodile capture and kill only enough to feed herself. Tumeken, impressed by this resourcefulness, gave her a piece of himself, turning her into the goddess Crondis.
A manifestation of her can be encountered during Icthlarin's Little Helper. If the player picks up the crocodile-headed canopic jar, the player can fight the manifestation. However, fighting her is not necessary to finish the quest.
Crondis is often considered to be the goddess of resourcefulness and modesty; that is, she is an example of how people should take no more than they need for their own sustenance. This has led to her being frowned upon by the higher echelons of Menaphite society, especially the Pharaoh of Menaphos, who, according to Jex, is greedy beyond Crondis' help.
She brought the world's pleasures to people - food, water, laughter and love. Lately however, she has been demanding people bring those pleasure to her instead due to corruption.
In Crocodile Tears, Senliten tasks the player to finding out why crocodiles have been attacking riverside villages much more frequently. The player finds out that Crondis has been corrupted by eating tainted food, and destroys an Ukunduka, the source of her corruption. After doing so, Crondis is freed of Amascut's control, and has the crocodiles stop attacking people.
- Crondis is probably based on the Egyptian god Sobek but more closely mirrors a minor god Heset, who represents food and drink.
- Although Crondis is female, her model is depicted as male by her statue in the Uzer Mastaba and her manifestation in Icthlarin's Little Helper. However, her quest concept artwork, page on the Menaphos minisite and ingame depict her as female.
- ^ Mod Osborne. "The Seven Tiers of Godhood." 21 March 2013. Lore Discussion Forums.
- ^ Jagex. "Tumeken's Dream." RuneScape Lores and Histories.
- ^ Jex, RuneScape. "The Pharaoh of Menaphos is a greedy, cruel man whose lack of restraint is beyond even Crondis's help."
- ^ Crondis. "There was a time when the desert god Crondis brought the pleasures of the world to her people; as much food, water, love and laughter as she could manage. Now, she has been corrupted, and insists that these pleasures are brought to her. She demands love and laughter from her people, as she gorges on their food and drink."*
|Part 10 of the Desert quest series|
|Miscellaneous||Quick guide • Transcript|
|Facets of gods||
|† denotes gods that are deceased; ‡ denotes gods part of the Menaphite Pantheon|