Double XP Weekends are events where players receive twice as much experience from most training activities. Double XP Weekends usually run four times a year, in January, May, August and October. Beginning on a Friday with 48 hours in-game timer to use over 14 days and ends on the Monday. The 48 hour timer was introduced to provides players more time to train.
Double XP Weekends were preceded by Bonus XP Weekends. During Bonus XP Weekends players received a variable amount of bonus experience that decreased with the duration for which they were logged in. The decaying bonus experience boost was replaced by a constant double experience boost in the October 2012 Double XP Weekend; all subsequent weekends have been Double XP Weekends.
- 1 Limitations
- 2 Preparations
- 3 Experience calculator
- 4 Previous events
- 4.1 November 2019
- 4.2 February 2019
- 4.3 November 2018
- 4.4 August 2018
- 4.5 February 2018
- 4.6 September 2017
- 4.7 May 2017
- 4.8 February 2017
- 4.9 December 2016
- 4.10 September 2016
- 4.11 February 2016
- 4.12 September 2015
- 4.13 February 2015
- 4.14 November 2014
- 4.15 February 2014
- 4.16 October 2012
- 4.17 March 2012
- 4.18 September 2011
- 4.19 March 2011
- 4.20 September 2010
- 4.21 March 2010
- 5 Trivia
- 6 References
- Item experience is gained at 150% of the normal rate (1.5x normal experience)
- Discovering blueprints and creating items on an inventor's workbench gives 150% of the normal experience (1.5x)
- Protean cogs give 150% of the normal experience (1.5x)
- Disassembling typical items (not "levellable" equipment, see below) will give 150% of the normal experience (1.5x)
- Disassembling and siphoning equipment (augmented equipment, Fishing rod-o-matic, etc.) does not give any bonus experience
The following actions do not provide any bonus experience:
- Quest experience rewards
- Any experience earned through the Assist System
- Items/locations that already give bonus experience, including:
- Ancient effigies
- Brawling gloves
- Chaos Temple
- Dragon Rider amulet
- Dungeoneering Wildcards
- Dwarven tools
- Essence of wisdom
- Experience lamps
- Filled penance horns
- Player-owned house altars
- Sacred clay items
- Summer Beach Party cocktails
- Tomes of experience
- The Wisdom of Scabaras effect of the desert pantheon aura
- Experience rewards from activities including:
- Anything which allows points to be exchanged for experience, including:
Ironman Mode players are also disallowed from participating.
- Stored bonus experience until November 2014.
- Clan avatar until November 2014.
- Recruit a Friend until February 2014.
- With the exception of the first Bonus Xp Weekend, limited bonus experience was given in Summoning until the first Double XP Weekend in October 2012.
- Demonic skull until 23 September 2016.
After the announcement of an upcoming Double XP Weekend, players often prepare their accounts in order to maximise efficiency and experience gains. Prior to the start of the event, players may engage in the following activities:
- Stocking up on large amounts of skilling resources through the Grand Exchange (e.g. logs and raw fish to train Firemaking and Cooking respectively).
- Playing Treasure Hunter for a chance to obtain protean items and sources of bonus experience.
- Buying portable skilling stations.
- Collecting divine locations, as both resources and experience can be gained at a faster rate than traditional methods, at the cost of having a daily limit of how many items can be obtained from these locations. It may also be a good idea to stock up on vis wax, which can be used to extend the daily limit by up to 100%.
- Strategically training at certain locations and worlds to maximise efficiency. Skilling at crowded locations where portables are often deployed, stacked, and shared by many other players can greatly increase experience gains. In worlds where many players skill at the same time, there's also a higher chance of others popping pulse cores which will give one between 2 and 10% bonus experience. Alternatively, some skills such as Hunter and Slayer may hinge on the availability of a less crowded world.
- Players often train at the bank in Burthorpe or at the Combat Academy in Lumbridge, where one can expect other players to release portables and divine locations.
- In addition to experience, training in Menaphos allows players to gain reputation.
- Prifddinas offers many skilling options suitable for high-levelled players.
- Engaging in money-making activities to be able to afford resources and other desired items; this is particularly helpful when planning on training expensive skills like Herblore and Construction.
- Upgrading weapons and combat equipment to maximise experience gains when training combat skills.
- Joining skilling-based clans or clans with one or more avatars. These provide a base 3% bonus experience for clan members, plus 1% for each Fealty rank, up to +3%, for a total of 6%.
- Some players also choose to invest money into the market, taking advantage of the fluctuating prices of skilling supplies.
Calculator: Double XP Weekend XP
template=Bonus XP Weekend/Double XP Weekend XP 2015 form=bxpwin result=bxpwout param = base|Base XP|1|number| param = bonus|Bonus XP|No|select|No,Yes param = wisdom|Wisdom aura|No|select|No,Yes param = outfit|Outfit parts|0|select|0,1%,2%,3%,4%,5%,6% param = avatar|Avatar|No|select|0,3%,4%,5%,6% param = vos|Voice of Seren|No|select|No,Yes param = juju|Perfect juju potion|No|select|No,Yes param = portable|Portable station|No|select|No,Yes param = pulse|Pulse core|No|select|No,2%,4%,6%,8%,10% param = chomp|Skillchompa|No|select|No,Yes param = insignia|Collector's insignia|No|select|No,Uncharged,Charged param = focus|Summoning focus|No|select|No,Yes param = clover|Clover necklace|No|select|No,Two-leaf,Three-leaf,Four-leaf param = imc|Imcando (e) mining|No|select|No,Yes param = mory|Morytania legs 4 & task|No|select|No,Yes param = glov|FoG gloves|No|select|No,Swordfish,Shark,Dragonslayer param = raf|Refer a friend|No|select|No,Yes
Please submit the form.
This Double XP Weekend was officially known as Double XP Weekend: Extended. For the first time, the Double XP Weekend offered 36 hours of double XP spread across 10 days rather than only being active for the weekend. It was designed to allow players to train in a more relaxing manner. Upon logging in, the player's Double XP timer started counting down from 36 hours. The timer did not count down while lobbied or logged out.
During that weekend, as a teaser for the player-owned farms, seven special farm animals could have been spotted around RuneScape, awarding a small experience lamp for spotting each of them and a large experience lamp once all seven were found.
The first Double XP Weekend of 2018 started on Friday 23 February at 12:00 UTC, and ended on Monday 26 February at 12:00 UTC. The experience multiplier increased to 2.2x for members and 1.25x for free players for 30 minutes each time that a £10,000 milestone was hit during the GameBlast 2018 stream, which took place for 24 hours from 12:00 UTC on 23 February.
The first login during the weekend prompted a pop-up ad for Recruit a Friend and the chatbox message "Double XP Weekend is live. Go go go!". Subsequent logins prompted the message "Why not team up with a training buddy? Gains are better with friends."
The second Double XP Weekend of 2017 started on Friday 19 May at 12:00 UTC, and ended at 12:00 UTC on Monday 22 May. The timing of the weekend was down to the upcoming release of Menaphos in June. It did not feature a trail off period where bonus experience could still be received for a small duration, despite this being the case the weekend before.
The first Double XP Weekend of 2017 took place from 12:00 UTC on Friday 17 February to 12:00 UTC on Monday 20 February. Unlike previous Double XP weekends, an extended experience bonus continued into the following week. Up until 12:00 UTC on 27 February players continued to gain bonus experience with a decreasing multiplier until they reached a total of 1,000,000 experience gained. The boost started at 100% extra experience and decreases by 5% for every 50,000 total experience earned (including all bonus experience). Restrictions were the same as those on the Double XP Weekend itself. The weekend coincided with Game Jam 2017.
Free players received a 1.2x boost instead. The trail off period did not apply for said free players.
Unlike the previous events, it was hotfixed so that the following also works with the event:
- Gilded altars
- Goldsmith gauntlets (including superheat)
- Brawling gloves
- Slayer bonuses (Corruption/Sacrifice scrimshaws)
The second Double XP Weekend of 2016 took place from 12:00 UTC on Friday 23 September to 12:00 UTC on Monday 26 September. This was the first Double XP Weekend to include the Invention skill. Extra experience was awarded to items' experience gains rather than Invention experience gained, at a 50% increase.
- Ironman Mode players did not gain any boost from this event.
- Demonic skulls now worked for the weekend, but is applied separately.
- Summer Beach Party cocktails no longer worked. Additionally, the 2-10% was not applied whatsoever unless Ironman.
- Dwarven tools did not work this weekend.
The second Double XP Weekend of 2014 ran from 12:00 GMT on Friday 31 October to 2 November . This Double XP Weekend was the first in which players' stored bonus experience would be used in combination with the Double XP Weekend's bonus; to give triple experience gains. It was also the first Double XP Weekend where a clan avatar's bonus would stack with the Double XP Weekend effect.
A Double XP Weekend ran from 21 until 24 February 2014, starting at 12:00 UTC and ending at 14:00 UTC. This was the first Double XP Weekend where Recruit a Friend bonuses stacked with the Double XP Weekend bonus.
This event, as voted for by players, was in support of the Gameblast charity weekend, raising money for Special Effect. Alongside the Double XP Weekend, Jagex hosted a 24-hour long livestream on their official Twitch channel, starting at 1pm UTC on Friday 21 February. A donation page was set up for players to make direct donations to the charity. Players could also purchase the limited edition GameBlast tunic from Solomon's General Store and donate coins to the Well of Goodwill.
On 11 October 2012, Jagex announced a Halloween Bonus XP Weekend that, for the first time, would available for free to play players. It was also the first Double XP Weekend: having a stable 2x experience multiplier, for members, rather than a decaying experience multiplier. Free to players gained a stable 1.2x experience bonus. Unlike previous Bonus XP Weekends the Summoning skill was not subject to a reduced multiplier and Summoning experience gains were doubled. The pumpkin amulet available at this time did stack with the Double XP Weekend bonus.
The March 2012 Bonus XP Weekend started on 16 March and ended on 19 March at 12:00 GMT, as announced in the March 2012 Behind the Scenes post. This was the final weekend to use the Bonus XP Weekend decaying experience boost: subsequent weekends were Double XP Weekends.
The Bonus XP Weekend of March 2011 was held from 11 to 14 March. Experience gains from Balthazar Beauregard's Big Top Bonanza were not affected by bonus experience during this and future Bonus XP Weekends, though it had been previously.
The second Bonus XP Weekend was held from 12:00 BST 3 September to 7 September. The Bonus XP Weekend was originally stated to run from 3 to 6 September, but it didn't actually end until 12:00 GMT on 7 September. It was similar to the first Bonus XP Weekend, but used the multiplier mechanics that were mentioned prior to the first weekend rather than those that were actually used during the Bonus XP Weekend. When logged in, players could check their bonus XP, time elapsed, and bonus modifier by hovering the mouse over the XP Counter.
When the event first started, players training Dungeoneering did not receive bonus XP, so all players' multipliers were reset to 2.7x. If a player ran out of membership during the Bonus XP Weekend at 1.1 multiplier and then they renewed their membership, the multiplier would go back to 2.7x. During this and later Bonus XP Weekends Summoning was given a flat 1.1x bonus experience multiplier, regardless of timer spent logged in.
|Game time (mins)||XP Multiplier||Average multiplier over full period|
|0-30||x 2.7||x 2.7|
|30-60||x 2.55||x 2.625|
|60-90||x 2.4||x 2.55|
|90-120||x 2.25||x 2.475|
|120-150||x 2.1||x 2.4|
|150-180||x 2.0||x 2.3|
|180-210||x 1.9||x 2.27|
|210-240||x 1.8||x 2.2125|
|240-270||x 1.7||x 2.155|
|270-300||x 1.6||x 2.1|
|300-330||x 1.5||x 2.04|
|330-360||x 1.45||x 1.99|
|360-390||x 1.4||x 1.95|
|390-420||x 1.35||x 1.9|
|420-450||x 1.3||x 1.86|
|450-480||x 1.25||x 1.82|
|480-510||x 1.2||x 1.79|
|510-540||x 1.175||x 1.75|
|540-570||x 1.15||x 1.725|
|570-600||x 1.125||x 1.695|
|600+||x 1.1||x 1.66*|
*As 1.1 lasts indefinitely the given average assumes only a half hour period and will decline further at a longer duration.
The first Bonus XP Weekend started at 12:00 PM GMT on Friday 12 March and lasted until 12:07 PM GMT Monday, 15 March 2010. The Bonus XP Weekend used a decaying bonus experience formula. Players began with 2.7x experience bonus which decreased for every 45 minutes that the player was logged in. After 7 hours of being logged in the player would be down to a 1.1x experience bonus which would not decrease further.
The first Bonus XP Weekend used an early version of the XP Counter to display the player's current experience multiplier and experience gains. It was located next to the minimap. During the Bonus XP Weekend no bonus experience was given in any skill while barbarian fishing.
Leading up to the Bonus XP Weekend, Jagex released an equation that gave the XP multiplier as a function of time and it was stated that the multiplier would be recalculated on every XP event, accurate to one minute. The multiplier given was for the first 10 hours, and a constant 1.1 after that, where is the number of hours played. This is shown in the graph on the right, which was also released with the formula. This would have given an average multiplier of 1.69x over the first 10 hours of play.
However, when the event started, players noticed that the bonus xp multiplier was lower than expected; it changed every 45 minutes rather than every 30 minutes and was always a multiple of 0.1. The modifier went down 0.2 each time (2.7, 2.5, 2.3, etc.), but went down only 0.1 after it reached 1.5 (1.5, 1.4, 1.3, etc.). This was due to intermediate rounding. In the article on Bonus XP Weekend found on the front page on the Runescape website, it was said that one's XP counter would reach 1.1x after 10 hours of gameplay. Players were disappointed to find out that it actually hit 1.1x after 7 hours of gameplay.
- No Double XP Weekends occurred in 2013.
- ^ Double XP Weekend.*
- ^ Jagex. "Double XP Weekend: Extended has begun!." 22 November 2019. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Month Ahead: February." 1 February 2019. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Month Ahead - November." 2 November 2018. RuneScape News.
- ^ RuneScape. RuneScape's Month Ahead - August (2018). 3 August 2018.*
- ^ Spottable farm animals. 31 August 2018.*
- ^ The Year Ahead: 2018. 5 January 2018.*
- ^ Jagex. "Double XP Weekend - Begins 15th September." 15 August 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Double XP is now live!." 15 September 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Extended XP Boosts on Invention Blueprints." 13 September 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ The Road to Menaphos - the story so far. 25 April 2017.*
- ^ Mod Sayln. PSA: Spring Fayre will NOT be effected by DXP.. 18 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-05-19.)*
- ^ Jagex. "2017 – The Year Ahead." 08 January 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Double XP Weekend Expanded." 9 February 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ 10% New Year boost - Hotfix.*
- ^ Jagex. "Double XP Weekend is Coming - 23rd September." 23 August 2016. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "GameBlast16 & Double XP | Coming 26th February." 28 January 2016. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod William. "Double XP Weekend - GameBlast15 - February 20th." 16 January 2015. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod William. "Bonus XP Weekend: Save the Date!." 12 September 2014. RuneScape News.
- ^ Update:Scary Bonus XP Weekend: the Details!
- ^ a b Mod Knox. "Bonus XP Weekend: Save the Date!." 26 February 2010. Developers' Blogs.