|Release date||23 September 2001 (Update)|
Dragon Slayer is a free-to-play quest often regarded as the most difficult to free players. Upon successful completion, players gain the ability to equip the rune platebody, blue dragonhide body, and mystic robe top, and their variants. It was also the last quest in RuneScape to be released before the addition of membership.
Prove yourself a true hero. Kill the mighty dragon Elvarg of Crandor Island and earn the right to buy and wear the powerful rune platebody.
- Developer: John A
- Graphics: Paul B, Kavi M
- Quality Assurance: Kevin D, Christopher E
- QuestHelp: Gillan M
|Start point||Guildmaster, located inside the Champions' Guild.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat|
To start the quest, speak to the Guildmaster in the Champions' Guild, located just below the southern entrance of Varrock. After talking to him, you will be directed to Oziach, located in a tiny house situated north of the Edgeville lodestone.
Oziach says that, to be able to purchase a rune platebody from him, you will have to slay Elvarg, the mighty female dragon, residing within Crandor Isle. He will tell you to re-visit the Guildmaster for information on how to kill Elvarg.
Go back to the Guildmaster. Talk to him about the map pieces, about protection against dragon breath, and about buying a boat. After speaking to him about all of the map pieces, he will provide you with a maze key.
The anti-dragon shield
Travel to Lumbridge and speak to Duke Horacio on the 1stUK] of floor[Lumbridge Castle. Ask him about "a shield that will protect you from a dragon's breath", and when he asks you which dragon you're going to use it to fight against, tell him that you will be slaying the fearsome Elvarg of Crandor.
He will then give you an anti-dragon shield and tell you a bit more about the story of Elvarg and the fall of Crandor.
Torn and frayed
To reach the island of Crandor, you need to obtain a Crandor map. However, for the safety of the people of Asgarnia, the map was divided into equal pieces by 3 survivors - Melzar, Thalzar and Lozar - each of whom took and hid a map piece.
The map pieces can be obtained in any order.
Melzar's map piece
Melzar's map piece is found within Melzar's Maze, found south of the Crafting Guild and directly west of the Port Sarim lodestone. To progress through the maze, you will have to get past several locked doors, using keys obtained from the monsters. Barring the blue one, each key is held by a specific monster with a unique trait.
The second room contains ghosts. The orange key is dropped by a ghost with a cape, but not a hood. After obtaining the key, head through the middle door, second from the north on the eastern wall, and then climb the ladder.
The third room has skeletons in it. To obtain the yellow key, kill the skeleton with a round shield. Use the key on the south-western door and keep climbing down the ladders until you reach the basement.
The basement contains two zombies. Unlike the other rooms, there is no way to tell which zombie holds the key, so kill them until you receive one and then proceed through the blue door.
You must now fight Melzar the Mad. When killed, he drops the magenta key. Use this key on the magenta coloured door to progress to the final room.
In the final room is a lesser demon who drops the final green key. It is weaker than other lesser demons, although it still uses magic attacks.
Once the demon is defeated, open the final green door and take the map piece from the chest by completing the dialogue. Either climb the ladder and exit the building through the entrance or teleport out.
Thalzar's map piece
Travel to the Ice Mountain, west of Edgeville and north of Falador, and climb to the northern-most part of the mountain and speak to the Oracle by her tent. She speaks in a riddle, which holds the answer to the location to one of the map pieces:
|“|| "The map's behind a door below,|
but entering is rather tough
This is what you need to know,
You must use the following stuff:
First, a drink used by a mage,
Next, some worm string changed to a sheet,
Then, a small crustacean cage,
Last, a bowl that's not seen heat."
To obtain this piece of the map, you'll need:
- An unfired bowl.
- A wizard's mind bomb, which can be bought in Taverley for 2 coins.
- A lobster pot or a crayfish cage, which can be purchased in Gerrant's Fishy Business in Port Sarim or Lumbridge Fishing Supplies in Lumbridge.
- A piece of silk, which can be obtained from the silk trader in Al Kharid at the cost of 3 coins (or 2 if you bargain).
Once you have obtained all these items, venture down into the Dwarven Mines, just north-east of the Falador lodestone. The mine contains a room with a sealed entrance door in the north-east part of the mines, just north of the scorpions. When you've found it, use all the items on the Magical Door. Take care while using the wizard's mind bomb with the door, as the left-click action is to drink it.
When you open the chest inside the room you get the following message, written by Thalzar:
|“|| "Here I rest the map to my beloved home. To whoever finds it, I beg of you, let it be. I was honour-bound not to destroy the map piece, but I have used all of my magical skill to keep it from being recovered.|
This map leads to the lair of the beast that destroyed my home, devoured my family, and burned to a cinder all that I love. But revenge would not benefit me now, and to disturb this beast is to risk bringing its wrath down upon another land.
I cannot stop you from taking this map piece now, but think on this: if you can slay the Dragon of Crandor, you are a greater hero than my land ever produced. There is no shame in backing out now."
Search the chest after reading the message in order to obtain the map piece.
Lozar's map piece
Ask the Guildmaster about Lozar's map piece, who reveals that she had hid the map section in a safebox at her house in Lumbridge. Unfortunately, she was killed during a goblin raid, and the creatures looted everything from the homes. The Guildmaster suggests you speak to someone in the Goblin Village.
Speak to either General Bentnoze or General Wartface to learn that the final map piece is held by a goblin named Wormbrain, currently imprisoned in Port Sarim jail. Head there and speak to him. He'll confess to stealing the map from a frail old woman and getting caught while trying to escape.
There are three ways to obtain this map piece:
- Kill Wormbrain using Magic or Ranged and cast Telekinetic Grab on the map piece he drops.
- Kill Wormbrain using Magic or Ranged and use the loot interface to obtain the map piece. You can bring up the interface easily by dropping an item or two next to the cell and then picking it up again.
- Speak to him and pay him 10,000 coins for the map piece.
After obtaining all the map pieces, simply use one of them on another to complete the Crandor map.
The Guildmaster mentions a ship for sale at the Port Sarim docks, you must ask The Guildmaster before the captain will allow you to buy it. At the pier, talk to Klarense, the owner of the boat. He offers to sell his boat, the Lady Lumbridge, for 2,000 coins, which includes Cabin boy Jenkins. However, the ship is damaged and will require repair using 30 steel nails and 3 planks. Board the boat and complete the repairs.
Go to Draynor Village and talk to Ned, located in the house just north of Miss Schism. Bring your map and ask him to captain the ship and assist you in sailing to Crandor. He agrees and asks you to meet him on your ship in Port Sarim.
When you are ready, board your ship and talk to Ned. Tell him you're ready to sail to Crandor Isle. A short cutscene will play, during which Elvarg flies over your ship in circles and sets it on fire. Cabin Boy Jenkins will panic before catching on fire and dying.
The ship will crash on the shore of Crandor. Make your way across the island to the peak, avoiding the progressively stronger monsters. Run past the lesser demons and enter the hole at the heart of the island.
Another cutscene plays, showing Elvarg's lair - full of charred bones, skeletons, and a wall outline of a former warrior that was burnt-down - before moving the camera angle to Elvarg, showing her as if she was slowly moving towards you.
Move past the skeletons until you see Elvarg behind a short wall of spikes protruding from the ground on the east. Further south, there is a passage that can be unlocked to provide a shortcut from Karamja in case you die or leave the fight early. If this passage is not unlocked, you will have to repair the Lady Lumbridge again.
Equip your anti-dragon shield and climb over the wall of spikes.
There are no safespots in the cavern and Elvarg can hit up to 1500 life points worth of damage with her firebreath attack if an anti-dragon shield isn't equipped. On death, a grave will appear inside Elvarg's cave.
If your Prayer level is high enough, Protect from Magic and an anti-dragon shield will greatly reduce fire breath damage. Her dragonfire will drain your prayer points if you plan to use prayer during the fight, and not equipping an anti-dragon shield will drain your melee stats and prayer very swiftly until they are 1 and 0, respectively. Defensive abilities such as Anticipate and Reflect can help reduce incoming damage as well as damage Elvarg in return.
- If using magic, you should use a one-handed weapon, such as a mystic wand, to leave the off-hand slot free for the shield.
- For a ranged setup, non-members can make use of one-handed weapons such as rune javelins or a crossbow.
- For members, using an antifire potion completely negates the damage from Elvarg's dragonbreath attacks, when used in combination with an anti-dragon shield. Prayer potions can also be brought.
- A dwarf multicannon can also be used here.
Should you be unable to defeat Elvarg, or die, you will need to repair the ship again (requiring 3 planks and 90 steel nails). After you have repaired the ship, you may venture again to Crandor Island.
Delivery to Oziach
Once you kill Elvarg, a cutscene will play during which you cut off Elvarg's head and stash it into your inventory. Leave Crandor and offer the head to Oziach, who will declare you a worthy member of the Champions' Guild and give you your reward.
If you lose the head, return to Oziach and the quest will end as normal.
Congratulations, quest complete!
- 2 quest points
- 18,650 experience lamp
- 18,650 experience lamp
- Access to all of Crandor
- A rune platebody
- An anti-dragon shield
- Maze key, giving access to Melzar's Maze
- Access to the dragon crest on herald capes
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
- Music unlocked
- Attack II (under Crandor)
- Melzar's Maze (music track) (Melzar's Maze)
- Dangerous Road (under Karamja Volcano)
- The Shadow (Crandor)
- Cran Door's Secret ( 10) - Unlocked the secret door between Crandor and Karamja.
Required for completing
Completion of Dragon Slayer is required for the following:
- Heroes' Quest
- Karamja achievements:
- Medium: "Back Cran-Door" and "Dungeons and Dragons"
- Varrock achievements:
- Medium: "The Body Shop"
- Lumbridge achievements: (you only need to complete the section The anti-dragon shield)
- Medium: "Always Be Prepared"
- Desert achievements:
- The quest originally had several differences:
- Telekinetic Grab was the only way to complete the quest after some quest items were made untradeable, as there was no option to buy the map piece from Wormbrain.
- There was no cutscene of the voyage to Crandor - the player would leave Port Sarim and arrive at Crandor with some dialogue from Ned saying that he crashed into some rocks.
- Elvarg's boss room was a metal fence with a gate that could only be opened during the quest. Later this was changed into a wall of stalagmites that the player would vault over.
- When Elvarg died, the player would be teleported outside with the 'Quest Complete' banner without having to cut her head off or return to Oziach afterwards. This was how the quest ended in RuneScape Classic, before it was shut down.
- Talking to Linza after completing the quest reveals Oziach initially gave the quest in order to get rid of the player.
- Shortly after the quest was released, there was a bug that allowed the player to gain the experience reward multiple times.
- Dragon Slayer was the first Experienced quest to be released.