|Release||23 October 2002 (Update)|
|High alch||0 coins|
|Low alch||0 coins|
|Exchange||1,703 coins (info)|
|Examine||These would feed a dog for months.|
Dragon bones are associated with the Prayer skill, and are dropped by most adult dragons. Dragon bones give 72 Prayer experience when buried, 180 Prayer experience when cremated, 288 Prayer experience when offered at the Ectofuntus, or 252 Prayer experience when offered at a gilded altar with 2 burners lit. The relative ease of collecting dragon bones, combined with the amount of experience earned from them, makes them widely viewed as a fast, cost-effective way to train Prayer.
Members can also get dragon bones as a reward from the Soul Wars minigame by selecting the 'Gamble' option when choosing rewards. If a player gets dragon bones, they will likely be noted in quantities of 11 or 22.
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||69.2%|
- This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ.
- To force an update of this list, click here.
- For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here.
|Black dragon (Dragonkin Laboratory)||108||1||Always|
|Brutal green dragon||105||1||Always|
|Celestial dragon (Dragonkin Laboratory)||114||1||Always|
|Falador resource bundle||N/A||1–3||Unknown|
|Golden chinchompa (Squeal of Fortune)||N/A||10||Common|
|King Black Dragon||276||1||Always|
|Queen Black Dragon||900||8||Always|
|Rare drop table||N/A||180–220||Uncommon|
|Red dragon (Dragonkin Laboratory)||105||1||Always|
|Zombie (random event)||N/A||1–3||Rare|
|Zombie impling jar||N/A||3||Uncommon|
Cost and XP analysis
|Bury|| Gilded altar or|
|Experience||72||252||288||324 (Total)||180 (Prayer) + 144 (FM)|
|Cost per XP||-592.5||-170||-147.5||-132.5 (Total)||-237.5 (Prayer) or -295 (FM)|
- It is assumed that two burners are lit while using the gilded altar and does not include the cost of clean marrentill.
- Green and Blue dragons are the weakest types of dragons, resulting in dragon bones mostly being accumulated by killing them.
- Green dragons are the lowest level dragons in the game. They can be found in various places in the Wilderness, as well as in two locations in the Chaos Tunnels. Green dragons in the Chaos Tunnels are grouped together with Baby black dragons, while players may be attacked by Player Killers while fighting green dragons in the Wilderness locations.
- The high value of dragons' drops (bones plus hides every kill for chromatic dragons) makes dragon-hunting a highly profitable combat activity. Players can make 120K to over 1M coins per hour fighting green dragons, depending on how fast they can kill the dragons and bank the loot. About 35K to 100K can be made per run on dragons (depending on inventory space /B.O.Bs), and more if more valuable items are brought back as well.
- Baby dragons do not drop dragon bones. Instead, they drop Baby dragon bones.
- Burying dragon bones is not recommended; usually they are best used on a Gilded altar or the altar in the Chaos Temple (Wilderness), which gives the same experience and doesn't require 75 Construction.
- Airut bones, Dagannoth bones, Ourg bones, Hardened dragon bones, Reinforced dragon bones, and Frost dragon bones are faster ways to train Prayer than Dragon bones, but cost much more per Prayer experience point.
- While gilded altars give the fastest experience, some prefer to use the Ectofuntus due to the fact that gilded altars give 36 less XP per bone. Although it's slower, the Ectofuntus gives more experience per bone, decreasing costs, and eliminates the need to obtain marrentill and/or find a house party offering an altar.
- Dragon bones became available to F2P on 29 February 2017, and buryable in F2P on 9 October 2017.
- A player choosing to use dragon bones all the way from 1-99 Prayer, using a gilded altar with lit burners and no other experience boosts, would, if all the bones were bought at the current medium price on the Grand Exchange, spend 2,202,146,450.
- Additionally the first two bones would take them straight to level 6 Prayer.
- Using the ectofuntus would cost 1,926,878,125, but would take far longer to do. Simply burying the bones would cost 7,707,512,500.