|Release||18 April 2005 (Update)|
|The vacuumed face of evil.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|25 / 16 / 8|
4 ticks (2.4s)
A dust devil is a slayer monster that requires level 65 Slayer to kill. A face mask, masked earmuffs, slayer helmet, Helm of Devilry, Helm of Keening or Mask of Dust is required to slay them, whether in the Smoke Dungeon or Chaos Tunnels, because of their effects on players without protection.
- Smoke Dungeon - Contains 18 Dust devils. Dust devils are located in the Western section of the dungeon; the dwarf multicannon can be used here.
- Chaos Tunnels - Contains 8 Dust devils. Easily reached by entering the rift north of Edgeville Monastery in the wilderness, (not the artefact north of the monastery as that takes you to the King Black Dragon's lair) then taking the north-west portal from the gargoyles, running west through the mummies and taking the north-west portal, finally taking the north-east portal from monks of Zamorak.
Strengths and weaknesses
|“||Dust devils use clouds of dust, sand, ash and whatever else they can inhale to blind and disorientate their victims. Good luck on obtaining a dragon chainmail from their dusty remains.||”|
— Slayer task hint
Dust devils use Ranged attacks to fight, and a Slayer level of at least 65 is required in order to kill them. They are capable of draining a player's combat stats to 1, lowering Prayer and Summoning points to nothing, and dealing rapid hits of 350 damage. In addition to this, their Smoke Dungeon habitat also deals rapid damage to unprotected players. To prevent this, it is mandatory to wear protective face gear; a face mask, masked earmuffs, any slayer helm variant, a mask of Dust, or the helm of Devilry. Any of these will block both the environmental and the dust devil's stat-lowering attacks, meaning that only Ranged damage will be dealt.
For players who struggle to kill dust devils without losing a lot of health, there are several methods that can be used to heal without bringing food along. Dust devils commonly drop two ugthanki kebabs at a time, which can be consumed to heal for 25% of the player's maximum health, up to 1750 life points. The Regenerate ability can be used to heal while out of combat, at the cost of adrenaline; it is recommended to use this when at 100% adrenaline. The Vampyrism aura, scrimshaw or superior scrimshaw of Vampyrism, the off-hand enhanced excalibur sword, the Saradomin godsword or Soul Split ancient curse can all be used to heal as damage is dealt to the dust devils. Guthan's equipment is not recommended for use in the Smoke Dungeon, but can be used on monsters surrounding the dust devils in the Chaos Tunnels, to heal life points. The Bones to Peaches spell can be used to turn the dust devils' 100% bone drop into healing peaches, if unlocked from the Mage Training Arena, or a bunyip Summoning familiar can be used to heal over time.
If players choose to use Soul Split, they should forego the use of Bones to Peaches, and should instead use a combination of the bonecrusher and demon horn or split dragontooth necklace Dungeoneering rewards to automatically restore Prayer points as they kill dust devils.
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 277,730 kills.|
1 charm is dropped at a time.
|Off-hand rune dagger||1||Uncommon||3,842|
|Dragon chainbody||1||Very rare||148,122|
|Grimy dwarf weed||1||Rare||3,709|
|Ugthanki kebab||2; 4||Common||504–1,008|
|Mithril bar||1 (noted)||Uncommon||604|
|Bucket of sand||4 (noted)||Common||144|
|Soda ash||4 (noted)||Common||20|
|Poison ivy seed||1||Uncommon||85|
|Spirit weed seed||1||Uncommon||5,724|
|Dwarf weed seed||1||Uncommon||294|
|Starved ancient effigy||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Court summons||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Spirit sapphire||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit emerald||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit ruby||1||Rare||Not sold|
Rare drop table
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items such as a ring of wealth or luck of the dwarves are not required to access the table.
|Show/hide rare drop table|
|Uncut diamond||45–55 (noted)||Rare||113,355–138,545|
|Loop half of a key||1||Common||10,679|
|Tooth half of a key||1||Common||13,842|
|Uncut dragonstone||45–55 (noted)||Rare||546,435–667,865|
|Rune platebody||15–25 (noted)||Rare||562,200–937,000|
|Shield left half||1||Rare||64,573|
|Onyx bolts||135–165||Very rare||1,065,285–1,302,015|
|Water talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||252,980–319,144|
|Earth talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||14,365–18,122|
|Fire talisman||25–35 (noted)||Rare||7,675–10,745|
|Raw lobster||135–165 (noted)||Common||26,055–31,845|
|Raw shark||225–275 (noted)||Uncommon||162,225–198,275|
|Big bones||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||10,812–13,038|
|Dragon bones||180–220 (noted)||Rare||327,960–400,840|
|Gold ore||90–110 (noted)||Common||27,900–34,100|
|Adamantite ore||180–220 (noted)||Uncommon||43,020–52,580|
|Adamant bar||14–16 (noted)||Common||23,408–26,752|
|Adamant bar||135–165 (noted)||Rare||225,720–275,880|
|Runite ore||90–110 (noted)||Rare||111,420–136,180|
|Rune bar||3 (noted)||Common||8,007|
|Rune bar||45–55 (noted)||Rare||120,105–146,795|
|Grimy torstol||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||340,560–416,240|
|Grimy snapdragon||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||124,650–152,350|
|Super restore (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||160,425–196,075|
|Prayer potion (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||118,530–144,870|
|Dwarf weed seed||14–16||Uncommon||4,116–4,704|
|Palm tree seed||10||Rare||264,820|
|Molten glass||45–55 (noted)||Common||9,135–11,165|
|Soft clay||450–550 (noted)||Uncommon||261,000–319,000|
|Yew logs||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||11,016–13,284|
|Yew logs||675–825 (noted)||Rare||109,350–133,650|
|Teak plank||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||13,905–16,995|
|Mahogany plank||270–330 (noted)||Rare||209,250–255,750|
|Vecna skull||1||Very rare||172,382|
|Hazelmere's signet ring||1||Very rare||1,758,438,364|
|Brawling gloves (Melee)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Magic)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Agility)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (FM)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Mining)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (WC)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Mimic kill token||1||Very rare||9,481|
- Both "dirt devil" and "dust devil" are brands of a vacuum cleaner, hence the examine text; "The vacuumed face of evil".
- In real life, dust devils are a miniature whirlwind strong enough to whip dust and leaves into the air.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this monster was 60,000 kills.
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 2 Feb 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. 6 May 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*