The elemental shield may be made during and after the Elemental Workshop I quest in the Elemental Workshop dungeon.
To make the shield, players must have a Smithing level of 20, an elemental bar, a hammer or golden hammer. During the quest players must also have a battered key to enter the workshop and either a battered book or slashed book in their inventory to smith the shield. After completing the quest the books and key become useless. Smithing the shield grants the player 20 Smithing experience. To equip the shield, players must have completed the Elemental Workshop quest.
In addition to providing magical defence, the Elemental shield is necessary in order to defeat skeletal wyverns and wyverns (unless players use a wyrmfire potion or own and have equipped a dragonfire shield, mind shield, body shield, cosmic shield, or a chaos shield).
- When players wield the shield, it grows from the size of their fist to the normal size. This makes it one of the few items that have an animation for equipping.
- If looked at closely, when equipping the elemental shield, it is slightly lower on the character than the Mind shield when equipped.
- The elemental shield is a possible required emote clue item in Treasure Trails.
- It is possible to imitate the old home teleport, by dropping an Elemental shield and then resting while on the elemental shield.
- If the player equips the shield while sheathed, the visual animation will play on their hand but the shield will be on the character's back.
- If used on Vic the trader, he says: "Ah, No! Anything but that!".