The enchanted key, also known as the Amserdrwys, is a quest item featured in Meeting History, and The Light Within quests. It is also used in the miniquest of the same name to locate additional rewards after completing the two quests and for a Medium Ardougne Task. After all the treasure has been found, the key can only be used to teleport the player to the past.
The key's precursor is first obtained during the Making History quest. After the quest is completed, additional treasures can be located using the key. Once all the treasure has been found, the key will melt. If the key is destroyed before completing all the treasures, another key can be obtained from Erin for 500 coins, if the second quest has not been started.
It is used again in the second quest, Meeting History, to "transport" the player into the past. If the key dissolved after completing the Making History miniquest (i.e. by obtaining all the treasures), or if it was destroyed, then a replacement may be obtained from Jorral at the beginning of the quest. If destroyed during the second quest, a replacement key can be obtained from Jorral for free, but if the player owns any of the Mjolnirs, he will not offer to sell the key, hence they must all be sold or destroyed before talking to Jorral (temporarily offering them on the Grand Exchange also works). If destroyed after the second quest, it will cost the player 6,000 coins to buy it back from Jorral (must also own a key ring). The key can still be rubbed to return to the past, but it will not change temperature to guide the player to the correct spot.
In The Light Within, the player learns that the enchanted key is actually called the Amserdrwys and is an elven artefact created by the Trahaearn Clan long ago. After its creation, the inventor suffered from amnesia and could not recall how to make it and the records of its creation were burned in a freak fire, leaving it to slowly turn to mythology over the years. The player uses it to go back in time and speak to Guthix to find a method of restoring Seren. The key is said to be very powerful and both Guthix and Seren were aware of its creation.
The enchanted key changes temperature as the player moves about. Its temperature is based on the distance of the treasure from the player, measured in the number of steps (including diagonal steps) it would take to reach the treasure, ignoring any obstacles (this is the Chebyshev distance between the player and treasure). The warmer the key gets, the closer the player is to the treasure. Clicking "Feel Enchanted key" gives information on its temperature, consisting of two parts described below. It is like playing the game of hot and cold.
If the player has already felt the key since last logging on or finding treasure, the temperature reading will contain a second part, indicating whether the temperature is warmer, colder or the same as the last reading, thereby indicating whether the distance to the treasure (measured as described above) has increased, decreased, or is the same. The three descriptions are:
- Warmer than last time - You are getting closer than before.
- Colder than last time - You are getting farther away than before.
- Same temperature as last time - You are the same distance away.
Players may use this information to determine which direction to go, as follows:
- Move one square North, South, East and West, taking temperature readings between each step.
- One direction, for example North, will result in the message "Warmer than last time".
- Move directly North while constantly taking readings, until the message "Same temperature as last time" is produced.
- Move one square East and West, taking temperature readings between each step.
- One direction, say East, will result in the message "Warmer than last time".
- At this point the treasure is directly North East of the player.
- Move diagonally in this direction while taking readings, until the message "The key is steaming" is produced.
After completion of The Light Within and Enchanted key (miniquest), the Amserdrwys is destroyed by overuse.
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||98.9%|
- If the player logs out or loses connection before finding any of the mjolnirs, the key will be lost and will need to be paid for again.
- The teleportation spell to the past uses the same animation that the completionist cape uses when the player doesn't have the requirements to take it from the museum.
- Like all Elvish words, "Amserdrwys" is Welsh. However, it is a constructed word that does not actually exist in the Welsh language, so the actual definition is inferred. It contains two Welsh words: "amser" meaning "time", and "drwy" which is a preposition meaning "as", "by" or "through".
- Before an update on 24 September 2018, the key could be placed on the steel key ring.
|Part 2 of the Enchanted key quest series|
|Part 7 of the God quest series • Part 3 of the Enchanted key quest series • Related to the Elf quest series|
|Steel key ring keys|
|God Wars Dungeon||