The festive aura is a special aura that can be obtained by members during December every year since 2012. The aura features a 50% experience boost and a wintery cosmetic effect. During December, the "festive bonus" experience effect remains activated for 30 minutes once per day (resetting at 00:00 UTC every day), after which it became just a cosmetic aura. The daily bonus experience is capped at 50,000. It cannot be reset or extended with vis wax or the Hellion aura. This item was the first aura available that does not require Loyalty points to purchase.
It was first released alongside December 2012's Winter Weekends. In December 2012, the aura was deposited into all members' inventories upon their first log-in in that month. If both the bank and inventory were full, players could talk to Xuan to obtain the aura manually. Xuan would still replace the aura, even if lost or destroyed after the event period; however, during December 2013, the replacement was unusable until the next reset. Players who subscribed at any time during December were still eligible to receive the aura.
During December 2013, the festive aura could only be claimed by talking to a Helpful snow imp.
To claim in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 the player needed to reclaim the aura from Xuan, Dilwyn or Azibo by opening their shop and looking at auras. The festive aura was the last aura on the list of tier 1 auras.
There is currently a bug when the aura is activated after 23:30 UTC so it will deplete after midnight. While the aura does recharge the next day it will not give any bonus experience, only the wings. This can be avoided by unequipping the aura before midnight, putting it on cooldown prematurely.
|Armour||0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|[FAQ] • [doc]|
The bonus is said to work the same way as any other experience-boosting aura does. It stacks with other bonuses such as bonus experience and skill outfits. It does not boost one-time experience rewards, such as those from resource dungeon discoveries or turning in a daily challenge, nor does it add to the experience for completing a Guthixian Cache and gives no experience boost to ironman players. The daily bonus experience is capped at 50,000 and the current amount remaining can be checked by selecting the "aura time remaining" option on the active aura. In 2014 using the Oxfam Festive Aura bauble to reset the recharge period also reset the daily experience cap.
The festive aura stacks with bonus experience multiplicatively, tripling experience while it lasts. First the aura adds 50% experience, for a total of 150% experience; which is then doubled to 300% experience by the bonus experience. The bonus experience listed for the aura only adds the 50%, to get the full 300% bonus, you must have bonus exp already available in whatever skill you are training outside of the aura.
|Stacks with:||Does not stack with:|
The items listed here were no longer available (as experience boosting items) when the aura made its return in December 2013, after the bonus experience update.
|Stacked with:||Did not stack with:|
The aura was revealed first through a lobby message, confirmed in forums, and after the news post, concept artwork from the RuneScape Facebook page was posted. Mention of it was among the login promotion messages on free-to-play servers.
This will be announced officially tomorrow, but it will indeed work like other Auras, with a 30 minute duration which can be used once per day. It will also have a cool wintery cosmetic special effect too!Mod Pips
- Prior to a hidden update on 3 December 2013, the Festive aura had a cooldown period of 23h 30min.
- An animation can be triggered in which more snow falls from the wings. Toggling weapon sheath, equipping, and unequipping an item are a few of the display triggers. Depositing memories at an energy rift triggers this, causing it to play constantly.
- There was a glitch where the glowing runes of the aura would appear at your hand even when you have a staff sheathed.
- The effect of the Inferno adze is less likely to activate with this aura activated.
- Reclaiming the aura from Xuan used to reset the recharge timer to 24 hours. Currently, reclaiming the aura resets the recharge timer to the next day.
- Harvesting barberries would only grant 25 bonus Agility experience, regardless of normal experience gained. Coshing in Thieves' Guild also gives less experience than it should.
- Destroying it gave the message: "Are you sure you want to destroy this item? You can get a replacement from the Loyalty Shop or a helpful snow imp."
- For the first two days of the 2013 Christmas Event, it counted as a Blessing of Winter item for obtaining Festive crackers.
- While this aura is activated, the glowing eyes from Gaze Effects may not show up.
- Prior to 3 December 2012, the aura could not be taken into Daemonheim for bonus experience.