We're in an age where we get a lot, and I mean a lot, of information regarding future updates. There isn't much of a policy that allows us to put useful information in it because one editor might deem it unimportant or too speculative. The best way to do this would be to layout a specific policy. Currently, our only policies referencing future updates are:
- Articles are not the place for speculation about future updates. Future content should not be discussed in the article namespace, unless it has been explicitly mentioned on the official Jagex or RuneScape sites (below). Even then, coverage should not go into detail or speculate about the update's content unless it was given in the update. You may also want to look at the non-existent item policy.
- A rule of thumb is to use present tense in all cases. For example, articles for quests, skills, activities, non-player characters, etc. should be written in present tense. An exception to this rule would be events that have occurred in the past, or for in-game content that has been removed. For example, holiday events that have already occurred should be written in past tense. For future updates and upcoming content that have been confirmed by Jagex, use the future tense.
I think it's fair to say that the information here is very lacking. It doesn't provide a good outline of what is and what is not acceptable. I've taken the liberty of writing up a proposed text of a policy that I would like to call RuneScape:Future updates; it may be found here.
I'm hoping we can all agree on the spirit of the policy, and I am readily open to discuss any changes. After all, it's not fair to impose a policy or guideline without the consensus of the community.
Should this forum pass as successful, I'll give it one last proofread and then have that text copied to the project namespace and for it to take effect immediately. The other policies can remain as is (unless they are affected directly by this discussion), but I will put a link to the policy on at least RS:NOT.
I am well aware that there is a mistake or two in the proposed text, please don't comment on it or it correct it. The only important part of this discussion is the content of the policy itself.
Support - as proposer MolMan 13:52, July 27, 2014 (UTC)
Comment - Can we please change the name to something that doesn't abbreviate as FU? I mean, I definitely don't want to tell someone on his or her talk page something like "Hey, RS:FU says you can't do this." --LiquidTalk 18:55, July 27, 2014 (UTC)
Fuck you. How about Future content? MolMan 18:57, July 27, 2014 (UTC)
- Future Updates Contributed (by) Kevin -- 00:28, August 2, 2014 (UTC)
Support - Looks good. Maybe link to the appropriate citation templates as well, as I still see people use CiteGeneral where CitePodcast or CiteTwitter should go.11:33, July 28, 2014 (UTC)
- You can do that after I make the page. IDK what even is citations. MolMan 20:23, July 28, 2014 (UTC)
Support except that: the weird bullet point that says
- Locations including names of
- NPCs and Monster names including their uses/functions
should probably just be 1 item. Also, I don't think Foo is a good term to use here (it's more like a programmer's default word). I suggest using "Update X is ready ...". And perhaps a little less bolding in that bullet point is good too. Finally, I think the bottom section should be rewritten as a couple of paragraphs, not a bullet point list. Regarding the actual contents of the policy, I do think it looks good. JOEYTJE50TALK pull my finger 16:48, July 28, 2014 (UTC)
- "Locations including names of" means "The existence of locations including their names". I'll change Foo to "Update" or "Poo" depending on how I feel. I'll unbold "however", but I'd like the other two words to keep attention drawn. Paragraphs. Noted. MolMan 20:23, July 28, 2014 (UTC)
Support - If the information is available from an official source we should definitely have mention of it/created all appropriate pages. (Soul Reaper comes to mind here, was surprised we didn't have a page on it yet when I checked). User:Haloolah123/Sig 02:39, August 4, 2014 (UTC)