It seems that many new users tend to have a habit of uploading a new image into a new namespace, then turning around and editing the article containing the image to point to their newly uploaded image and leave in their wake an orphaned image. Often times these orphans contain historically relevant information as to how things once were on the face of Gielinor and as such I do not feel they should just be deleted into non-existance. Is there a policy regarding this sort of thing? If not i believe there should be. Already lost includes Image:Yanille.png been lost to CityYanille.PNG and more are on the way including Image:Brimhaven.PNG which is becoming orphaned by Image:CityBrimhaven.PNG. Personally I'm at a loss
- REDIRECT user:kytti khat/sig 09:39, 22 June 2008 (UTC)
- In such situations like you are describing here, such "images" perhaps ought to be merged for historical reasons. Article and image histories can be merged together by deleting the "new" page, performing a page move (or image rename), deleting it again temporarily as an administrative action, then undeleting the whole thing. I would have to agree that preserving the historical images in something that can be scanned by ordinary users does have some relevance, such as what you have described above. It isn't "easy" to perform such actions, and IMHO the "newer" images that are the dupes ought to be the ones viewed with a jaundiced eye in terms of if they are the duplicates or not. Yes, I do realize that the game does change and update, but historical information ought to be preserved as much as reasonably possible. --Robert Horning 11:32, 22 June 2008 (UTC)
- So, considering I am just a regular user (with no special permissions), would it be applicable to reupload the duplicated image (assuming it has some new relevance like mini summoning obelisks) into the pre-existing images name space then revert the article back to point to it's original image? Currently many long existent images are now showing up as orphaned images.
- REDIRECT user:kytti khat/sig 00:32, 26 June 2008 (UTC)
- I created a new category a couple of weeks ago that may be relevant in this discussion. It is [[:Category:Obsolete images|Obsolete images]], and is intended for images that are no longer current (as in up-to-date as per the game) but which are kept on the wiki for historical documentation. I wonder whether some images may be appropriately classified here rather than being deleted or merged. Leevclarke talk 04:57, 27 June 2008 (UTC)