Shauny's TAPP, the skybox filters, was just released. This allows players to apply a filter to their skybox, changing the appearance of the world around them.
Obviously this will affect how players and NPCs look in the different lighting styles. Therefore I propose an addition to the image standards:
- Equipped and detailed item images should be taken with the default skybox, in an area of the game where that is applied. NPC and scenery images should be taken using the default skybox for the area in which they are found.
It's common sense, but I feel it's better to have this stated explicitly in the image standards than for people to argue and war over it later.
Support - as nominator.17:09, May 15, 2017 (UTC)
Partial support - Only locations should use the area's default, everything else should use #3 - Midday. Midday is the best default lighting for things such as equipped images (which are usually taken in a POH with the same lighting anyways), and monsters/NPCs would benefit majorly from it. An example would be everything in the Heart of Gielinor, which uses a rather dark lighting default. The image of Gregorovic for example was very heavily shaded before Ben (IIRC?) uploaded an image from the cache that made good usage of the lighting. Coelacanth0794 Talk 17:13, May 15, 2017 (UTC)
- Edit: For context, "Midday" is the same lighting that the Daystone creates. Coelacanth0794 Talk 17:34, May 15, 2017 (UTC)
- Edit: Proposal change, please see below. Coelacanth0794 Talk 21:31, May 22, 2017 (UTC)
Support - As per Coel17:19, May 15, 2017 (UTC)
Support - Per Coel. Use the most generic, invisible, non-intrusive lighting (i.e. midday) for everything that isn't location/scenery. We can even use it for some locations if necessary. (e.g. I've been arguing about [[:File:Dung boat.png]] since it's stupidly dark and NXT changed the lighting to the swamp one even if you stand inside Al Kharid)18:10, May 15, 2017 (UTC)
Support - But I assume for npc like the shattered world dude in lumby swamp to take with day skybox for better visibility is ok?18:55, May 15, 2017 (UTC)
Support - use the default skybox for area images; UCS with equipped and monster images to avoid lighting issues. 15:30, May 16, 2017 (UTC)
Comment - Midday/Daystone lighting can be worse than default lighting in some older areas of the game. Filters and Skybox cannot be changed in many in dungeons and instances and such (except via Daystone/Nightstone/Bloodstone/Apollo's Helmet), but can be brought in from elsewhere. The items also sometimes do not get rid of an area's filters, they just stack on top of them. So for places like say Freneskae in Children of Mah, a different filter would have to be brought in.13:32, May 21, 2017 (UTC)
Proposal edits and change - So it turns out Midday is actually quite different than the daystone, with the daystone being the superior option (midday has a lot of shadow behind it, along with a blueish tint). Along with this, with today's update and the patches that went along with it, the daystone is now an option in the skybox options if it's unlocked, so I'd like to re-propose what my initial statement was:
- Only location images should use the default lighting and skyboxes.
- NPCS, equipped images, DIIs, and anything else would use the daystone lighting for a better view of the subjects(s).
- That would require owning a daystone, which most people do not. I'd say midday is fine and should be allowed, even if daystone is preferable. I.e. don't go retaking midday images with a daystone. 19:20, May 23, 2017 (UTC)
Closed - Coel's plan will be implemented. Daystone lighting is the preferred lighting for items, but Midday can be used if Daystone is not available. Common sense should dictate exceptions on a case-by-case basis. --LiquidTalk 17:41, May 26, 2017 (UTC)