Game squares, also known as tiles, metres, or steps are the basic unit of length that divide the RuneScape overworld. The game squares form a grid, dictating where objects may be. All objects' locations will be defined by a single square. All locations and sizes can only be integer numbers.
Every entity on the overworld occupies at least 1 game square. Players and dropped items occupy 1 square. Larger monsters, such as Vorago occupy multiple squares. For these larger monsters, their location is defined by the south-westernmost square they occupy. This is the location used by most calculations, such as where items drop or where Detonate will target.
Examples of gameplay use
- There are 3 movement speeds:
- Crawl - 1 square every 2 ticks
- Walk - 1 square every 1 tick
- Run - 2 squares every 1 tick
- Surge and Bladed Dive move a player 10 squares forward; escape moves a player 7 backwards
Types of tiles
There are many types of tiles, each serving a specific function.
- Blank - Tiles that have unrestricted access for actions. These may be walked on, fires may be lit on them, etc.
- Blockage - Constitutes most every obstacle that cannot be traversed over, through, etc. Graphics range from fences and rocks to large pillars and chasms.
- Full blockage - These tiles completely block all movement and actions across the tile.
- Wall tiles - These tiles block movement and action in a certain direction, but allow an entity to be on the tile itself. Examples include walls, some fences, and cliff edges.
- Water or short wall - These tiles block movement for most entities, including being on the tile itself, but still allow action across. Flying entities, such as implings can still move on these tiles. Long range actions, such as ranging, can be performed across these tiles. Examples include bodies of water and short blockages, such as fences or wheat.
- Force-walk - Tiles which force a player to walk in a specific direction when landed on.
- Bank tiles - Tiles that surround bankers and other bank-access points. Objects, such as fires or cannons, cannot be placed here. When out of combat, these will also heal a player to full life points.