Goliath gloves are a set of degradable tier 80 melee tank gloves with several passive effects that can be obtained in the Dominion Tower. They require 80 Attack and 80 Defence to wield; however, they also require a number of additional skills, as 6 specific quests (see below), 14 other quests involving Dominion Tower monsters, are required to unlock them.
While wearing these gloves, each auto-attack or basic ability has a 5% chance of dealing 25% more damage, binding the target and lowering its Attack, Strength, Ranged, and Defence by 7 levels. This stat reduction does not stack. They also reduce incoming melee damage by 1–5%, with a 5% chance of reducing by 25%–50% instead.
When unarmed (no main-/off-hand weapon or shield), they act as a tier-75 fastest speed two-handed weapon, providing 1694 accuracy and 1080 damage. However, they do not provide access to abilities due to being unarmed. Because of this, it is recommended that the gloves be used without a weapon only in Legacy Mode.
Goliath gloves degrade to dust after 15,000 charges of combat; however, they only lose charges with each damaging hit taken (including typeless damage); hits you deal (abilities or otherwise) and blocked hits (shield hitsplats) do not drain charges. This makes them last longer than would normally be expected of an item with 15,000 charges.
Goliath gloves come in four colours, which are functionally identical. The gloves also all have an orange particle effect.
|Goliath gloves (black)||Goliath gloves (red)||Goliath gloves (white)||Goliath gloves (yellow)|
|Total level: 1458|
To unlock the option to receive goliath gloves as a reward item from the Strange face, players must meet a number of requirements:
- Defeat a total of 500 bosses in either Climber or Endurance matches. The victories do not have to be consecutive.
- Defeat the following bosses in the Tower at least once:
|Nomad[note 1]||Nomad's Requiem|
|Ayuni, Leeuni, and Eruni||Do No Evil|
|Two Dagannoth Sentinels||Blood Runs Deep|
|The Untouchable||Dream Mentor|
|Balance Elemental||While Guthix Sleeps|
|Ice Demon||Temple at Senntisten|
- ^ Defeating both Nomads in the "No More Nomad... No More!" special fight counts toward this requirement, although defeating only one does not.
The skill levels required to complete the above quests are detailed in the box to the right. These effectively function as additional requirements to obtain and use goliath gloves.
While a pair of goliath gloves cannot be repaired, it is possible to obtain multiple pairs from the strange face by earning another 25 boss kills in either Climber or Endurance matches; this earns an invisible "reward credit" that can be exchanged for a pair of goliath gloves, spellcaster gloves, swift gloves, or 500 dreadnips. The strange face stores up to 15 such "credits", after which they must be redeemed in order to earn more.
- Prior to 3 November 2011, goliath gloves were unobtainable due to a bug that prevented Nomad from appearing in Climber or Endurance modes. The same patch that fixed this bug also allowed players to complete the "No More Nomad... No More!" special battle and have it count as the Nomad requirement for unlocking the gloves.
- On 11 April 2012, the gloves 'check' option was changed to display a percentage of degradation. This percentage counted up from 0% degraded - e.g. 10% degraded gloves had 5,400 charges left.
- Prior to this, the option gave messages to give an idea of how degraded they were: "The gloves are in perfect condition." "The gloves are slightly degraded." "The gloves are very degraded." and lastly, "The gloves are almost falling apart."
- Prior to the Evolution of Combat, these gloves functioned as a crush weapon with stats and speed similar to an abyssal whip. To use them as such, one had to un-equip any weapon they were holding and equip these in the gloves slot.
- During part of the Evolution of Combat beta, they were a two-handed crushing weapon with stats similar to a chaotic maul. At this point, the gloves actually went in the weapon slot, and other gloves could be worn underneath, but were not visible.
- After the release of the Evolution of Combat, the gloves were given a passive effect, which reflected some of the ranged damage the wearer took.
- On 3 November 2014, the gloves were restored to their former glory: they once again function as a crush weapon when worn unarmed, the stat drain returned in addition to the existing passive extended to all combat damage being reduced with a chance of larger reduction. To counter this, each reward credit now requires 25 boss kills instead of 5 (and dreadnips were given in sets of 500 instead of 100).
- On 4 April 2016, all three dominion gloves had their charges increased from 6,000 to 15,000; however, the stat drain effect no longer stacks. As part of the same update, the percentage degraded was changed to count down from 100% and to be given to one decimal place, much like most other degradable equipment.
- On 9 April 2018, the level 110 requirement to participate in the dominion tower was removed therefore allowing them to be obtained at a much lower combat level.