|Release||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|He tries to keep order around here.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|2 / 1 / 0|
4 ticks (2.4s)
There are many guards in RuneScape, usually in populated, major cities, such as Falador, Varrock, and Ardougne. Guards patrol the area of just south of the Wilderness wall at Edgeville. There are also guards at the mansion in the quest Ratcatchers.
Weapons, armour and weaknesses
The guards in Falador are level 18, and can fight with either ranged or melee, depending on their wielded weapon. The guards with melee weapons are weak to water spells or fire spells, and the one with ranged weapons are weak to stab attacks.
The melee guards wear a bronze chainbody, bronze helm, bronze square shield, leather chaps, and leather boots as armour, and either a bronze longsword or a bronze battleaxe as their weapon. The rangers wear similar armour to the melee guards, but substitute a leather body in place of the bronze chainbody, and are armed with either a bronze crossbow or a bow similar in appearance to Kayle's chargebow.
The guards of Ardougne wield a steel mace, iron chainbody, and a helmet that looks like a spiny helm without spikes. They also wear red trousers, and blue shirts under chainmail. They are weak to fire spells.
Guards in Varrock wear a golden/yellow version of the Renegade Knights' uniform. They are level 25, they attack with melee and they are weak to air spells. Until late 2007, Varrock guards were identical to Falador guards.
Guards in Edgeville wear some sort of leather armour that bears a resemblance to that of the Lumbridge Guardsmen, except that Lumbridge guards wear blue uniforms, and Edgeville guards wear green uniforms. Edgeville guards are level 35 and attackable, and are good for training at a lower level as players can heal at Edgeville bank. The Edgeville guards are weak to water spells.
Except for in Taverley and Catherby, guards can be pickpocketed at with level 40 Thieving, giving 46.5 experience and 30-34 Coins. You can get up to 60 coins per pickpocket after finishing the Lost Her Marbles caper. If unsuccessful, the player will be hit for twenty life points and stunned for five seconds. If someone kills the guard just as you are pickpocketing you will get the message "Too late; they are dead" and you will receive neither experience nor loot.
Most guards respawn approximately 50–55 seconds after their bodies disappear on the ground. This is a relatively long time for people who are power training their combat skills; it is advised that players seeking to raise those skills quickly by killing guards find an area with at least four guards, so as to always be able to fight at least one. Some areas good for this are the lobby of Varrock Palace which spawns 6 guards, and the northern entrance to Falador which spawns 5 guards, although are often populated by other players.
|Key (Treasure Trails)||1||Always||Not sold|
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 17,156 kills.|
1 charm is dropped at a time.
|Iron arrow||1; 2||Common||14–28|
|Bronze arrow||1; 2; 5||Uncommon||31–155|
|Steel arrow||1; 5; 10; 11||Uncommon||17–187|
|Prayer potion (4)||1||Rare||2,910|
|Ranging potion (1)||1||Rare||974|
|Coins||1; 2; 3; 4; 12; 25||Common||1–25|
|Sealed clue scroll (medium)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit sapphire||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit emerald||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit ruby||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Starved ancient effigy||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- ^ Only with the relevant clue in the inventory.
- ^ a b These two seeds are the only seeds available to free-to-play players.
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Mimic kill token||1||Very rare||5,575|
- When worldwide PKing was allowed in RuneScape Classic, guards used to stay in key cities and break up PKers by attacking the aggressor.
- In the Garden of Tranquility quest, the player overhears a guard telling one of his colleagues that the life expectancy of a guard is 30 seconds (they are then killed by PKMaster0036).
- When fighting guards at the Varrock east gate, if the workman walks by while you're killing a guard, the guard yells "I'M BEING SLAUGHTERED!" The workman will then comment "Nothing new here". When all the Varrock guards at eastern gate are dead, when the workman walks by, he will say "Oh, they're all dead."
- Every time you pickpocket a guard in Varrock, a count is added to the signpost in front of the palace entrance.
- Before the EoC update, it was possible to completely imitate the appearance of Falador guards. This was done by setting the character's top to the colour of Cowhide Brown, and their bottoms to Coal Black, then equipping their respective armour and weapon. If done correctly, the only noticeable difference would only be the red stripe on the helmet. This is possible again since the rework of Falador.
- An update that changed the appearance of Leather chaps meant that it is no longer possible to completely imitate Falador guards.
- Prior to the Port Sarim graphical rework on 11 July 2016, a variant of guards were found in the Port Sarim Jail. Following this update the guards were changed to Port Sarim guards. Before this, the guards were level 18 and wore hard leather bodies and steel helms. They were weak to water spells. There was an unattackable guard on the roof of the jail, and some of the guards had chatheads.