Hans is the servant of Duke Horacio and can be found walking in circles around the Lumbridge Castle courtyard. He is the oldest non-player character in RuneScape, and RuneScape veterans can claim Capes of Distinction from him, which indicate the age of their account. Despite being a veteran, he is easily scared, screaming and running away in fright when threatened.
When spoken to, Hans will tell the player he's been patrolling Lumbridge Castle for years, to which the player will respond saying he must be old. Hans then goes on to say he is a veteran of RuneScape and at this point will offer the player the option to buy the Veteran cape if they have the requirements. If they do not have the requirements, he will tell players how much longer they have until they may buy the cape.
Hans also plays a role in a couple of Treasure Trail clue scrolls, one being an anagram (Snah = Hans), and the other a cryptic (which also has "Snah" in it).
Hans can also be spoken to by selecting "random contact" on the NPC Contact spell. If Hans is contacted, your character will claim you are a knight coming to kill everyone in Lumbridge Castle. Hans panics in response.
The capes are sold together with a hood.
| GE resale
|Veteran cape (5 year)||Infinite||50,000 coins||N/A||Not sold||N/A|
|Veteran hood (5 year)||Infinite||50,000 coins||N/A||Not sold||N/A|
|Veteran cape (10 year)||Infinite||100,000 coins||N/A||Not sold||N/A|
|Veteran hood (10 year)||Infinite||100,000 coins||N/A||Not sold||N/A|
|Veteran cape (15 year)||Infinite||150,000 coins||N/A||Not sold||N/A|
|Veteran hood (15 year)||Infinite||150,000 coins||N/A||Not sold||N/A|
- In the second issue of Postbag from the Hedge, a letter was written to Hans that semi-mocked him, asking why he ran away from the author. Hans responded by screaming and running away.
- Hans is referenced in Lunar Diplomacy when receiving the seal of passage.
- In Runescape Classic, Hans was an attackable level 3 NPC.
- The fact that you tell him you're a knight coming to kill everyone in the castle may be a reference to the scene in Monty Python and The Holy Grail where Sir Lancelot runs into a castle, stabbing a multitude of people and killing them.
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 4 - "Transcript:Goblins, globes and golems!", 3, by Duke Horacio. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ Mod Chris L. "Capes of Distinction." 3 May 2011. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 2 - "Transcript:Magic, Hans and Bankers!", 2, by Hans. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ Mod Easty. "Veteran Cape - Days remaining." 5 May 2011. Recent Updates Forums.
|Part 1 of the Dorgeshuun quest series|