Head banners are the banners at the top of the RuneScape website. The first one, Island Assault, was released on 1 July 2008 when the RuneScape website received a huge makeover and the game itself was upgraded to RuneScape High Detail, before that just a logo was shown which would also change sometimes during holidays or major updates (these are also archived in the "Pre-2008" article below). Banners link to their corresponding news posts.
After the release of "Island Assault", the banner has been frequently featuring holiday events or major events in RuneScape. Since 2011, special offers and new quests were included, and from 2012 on, nearly every game update gets its own banner, many of which are additionally previewed and featured in the Lobby.
Quest Point Shop
- Occasion: Spend your quest points to unlock new rewards including the Armour of Trials and the lorehound pet.
- Scene: An adventurer wearing the Armour of Trials while holding the lorehound pet
- Duration: 24 September -
- Occasion: RuneScape's soundtrack is now available
- Scene: Both RuneScape soundtrack releases with their artwork
- Duration: 14 September -
Player Owned Farm
- Occasion: Help Granny Potterington run the farm north of Ardougne and be rewarded with Farming experience
- Scene: Concept art of an adventurer filling in for Granny Potterington while milking a Strawberry cow
- Duration: 3 September -
- Occasion: Head into the Dragonkin Laboratory located in the Wilderness to unlock an upgrade to Tectonic armour and mutators for Flurry, Fury and Barge abilities.
- Scene: Concept art of two adventurers facing off against dragons within the Dragonkin Laboratory
- Duration: 13 August -
Master Skillcape Perks
- Occasion: Skillcape perks have been updated, including new master skillcape perks for Invention, Slayer, Dungeoneering and the Master Quest cape.
- Scene: Concept art of several adventurers wearing the Invention, Agility, Slayer and Quest capes
- Duration: 6 August - 3 September
- Occasion: Claim a month of free membership and other rewards including the Umbral Armour, Umbral Crassian and 2 Umbral chests with Twitch Prime.
- Scene: Concept art of an adventurer wearing the Umbral Armour with an Umbral Crassian pet next to him.
- Duration: 26 July - 14 September
Temple of Aminishi
- Occasion: Venture into the Temple of Aminishi, either solo or with a group to encounter new enemies and get new rewards.
- Scene: Concept art of several adventurers getting ready to battle Seiryu.
- Duration: 25 June - 3 September
Hall of Memories
- Occasion: Venture into the Hall of Memories to discover Guthix's darkest secrets and forbidden knowledge.
- Scene: Concept art of a Guthix memory meditating near the core of the Hall of Memories
- Duration: 12 June - 6 August
- Occasion: Take on Solak with the help of Merethiel in the Lost Grove for new drops including the Blightbound crossbow and Solly pet.
- Scene: Concept art of Merethiel and Solak battling
- Duration: 29 May - 6 August
- Occasion: The Summer special is now available
- Scene: An adventurer falling with a book next to them
- Duration: 21 May - 16 July
You Are It
- Occasion: You Are It.
- Scene: A letter covered in blood next to a hand
- Duration: 8 May - 23 May, 6 June - 25 June
- Occasion: Open some safes to get some thieving experience as well as other rewards.
- Scene: An adventurer trying to open a safe
- Duration: 30 April - 25 June
Pieces of Hate
- Occasion: Help defend Mos'Le Harmless from Rabid Jack and his invading forces in the finale to the Pirate quests
- Scene: Concept art of various pirates involved in the quest.
- Duration: 19 March - 16 April
- Occasion: Face the newest cave horror known as the Unspeakable horror for four new abilities
- Scene: Concept art of the Unspeakable horror.
- Duration: 12 March - 19 March
Deep Sea Fishing
- Occasion: Visit the new Deep Sea Fishing hub to fish the new sailfish and jellyfish.
- Scene: Concept art of an adventurer doing some fishing
- Duration: 6 March - 11 March
Clue Scroll Overhaul
- Occasion: Master clue scrolls have arrived along with new rewards including second age armour.
- Scene: Concept art of Zaida reading a clue scroll with Nigel the pack yak.
- Duration: 26 February - 5 March
Double XP Weekend
- Occasion: Double XP Weekend returns for GameBlast 2018 from 23 February untiil 26 February.
- Scene: Concept art of Gielinor
- Duration: 19 February - 26 February
Premier Club 2018 - Last Chance
- Occasion: It's your last chance to buy Premier Club for 2018 before it is removed on 4th February.
- Scene: Concept art of a male and female wearing the Hellion armour
- Duration: 29 January - 5 February
Hati, Sköll and Fenrir
- Occasion: Hati, Sköll, Fenrir and Vic the Trader return to Gielinor for a short time.
- Scene: Hati and Sköll in a snowy forest area
- Duration: 15 January - 12 February
On the previous splash page (the page you got on when visiting the RuneScape website for the first time) there were also a few banners promoting the game which can be seen below. Now it just shows some screenshots.
NOTE: On the website all these banners had small animations.
- As of 27 April 2012 no head banners were shown, instead it just showed the background which looks the same as the default banner but without any animations. This was most likely just a bug and has been fixed with the Runespan update.