|Release||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Hello, nice doggy...|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|21 / 14 / 7|
4 ticks (2.4s)
Hellhounds are mid to high level demons often given as a Slayer assignment to mid to high level players. The introduction of the Summoning skill brought about a rise in players killing them due to their gold charm drop rate. They have the third highest combat level of any monster outside of Daemonheim in F2P, surpassed by the deadly red spider and revenant knight. Hellhounds are also known for their very high drop rate of hard clue scrolls.
If hellhounds are assigned as a Slayer assignment, revenant hellhounds may be killed in their place. They have very high accuracy and hit constantly even through high level armour such as Barrows equipment. The hellhounds located in the God Wars Dungeon are weak to water spells; elsewhere they are weak to slash weapons.
Hellhounds can be an excellent way to train melee for F2P players, as players can exploit their weakness to slash with the Rune 2h sword and Gravite 2h sword, possibly getting more experience per hour than Deadly red spiders. Keep in mind: hellhounds are found only in the Wilderness in F2P worlds, so beware of the risk of PKers. The area is usually uncrowded. Hellhounds are a good source of AFK melee training, along with good charms per hour. It is recommended (for AFK) to bring Guthan's, as it heals you occasionally.
- Taverley Dungeon (m)
- Witchaven Dungeon (m)
- God Wars Dungeon (m) Note: Although the hellhounds here give significantly more slayer experience, there are very few of them in the dungeon, including only one inside Zamorak's fortress, making this an inefficient training option.
- Forinthry Dungeon
- Level 50+ Wilderness
- Kuradal's Dungeon (m) (cannon cannot be used here)
- Wilderness Volcano
If the player is killing hellhounds for a Slayer assignment then they can gain 20% additional Slayer experience by equipping a demonic skull while killing hellhounds in the Forinthry Dungeon, Wilderness Volcano or Deep Wilderness. They can gain another 20% extra experience per kill while killing hellhounds in these locations if they accept a special slayer contract from Erskine while assigned hellhounds as a Slayer task. These experience bonuses stack, meaning the player may gain 40% extra Slayer experience. Completing a special slayer contract rewards the player with a choice of coins or combat experience.
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 380,708 kills.|
1 charm is dropped at a time.
|Ferocious ring(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Warpriest of Zamorak helm||1||Varies||Not sold|
|Warpriest of Zamorak cuirass||1||Varies||Not sold|
|Warpriest of Zamorak greaves||1||Varies||Not sold|
|Warpriest of Zamorak gauntlets||1||Varies||Not sold|
|Warpriest of Zamorak boots||1||Varies||Not sold|
|Warpriest of Zamorak cape||1||Varies||Not sold|
- ^ Only in Kuradal's Dungeon.
- ^ a b c d e f Only dropped in the God Wars Dungeon.
- ^ a b c d e f Players who previously bought this in the Battle of Lumbridge will have a greater chance of receiving this as a drop.
|Sealed clue scroll (hard)(m)||1||Uncommon||Not sold|
|Spirit sapphire(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit emerald(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit ruby(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Starved ancient effigy(m)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Frozen key piece (zamorak)(m)||1||Random||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Mimic kill token||1||Very rare||9,010|
- Slayer Masters describe hellhounds as "a cross between dogs and demons". They are affected by the powers of silverlight and darklight. Along with the bloodveld, they are the only demons that drop bones rather than ashes.
- They also don't count when assigned a "dog" slayer task.
- Hellhounds could be dogs or wolves that were corrupted by magic or something they ate (similar to the origin of hellcats), rather than actual demons. This would explain why they drop bones.
- On 16 June 2009, hellhounds were placed in the Wilderness Volcano, making it the first P2P monster to enter F2P. It also broke the record of strongest, non-revenant, free to play monster with a combat level of 92.
- After the ring of wealth update on 16 March 2011, the charm drop rates of hellhounds and rock lobsters had "gone walkabouts". This caused hellhounds to drop gold charms less frequently. Rather, they seemed to drop blue charms much more often. This was, however, fixed on 28 March as noted in the patch notes of that date.