|Release||6 April 2001 (Update)|
|An ugly, smelly creature.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|2 / 1 / 0|
4 ticks (2.4s)
Hobgoblins are Bandosian creatures that share characteristics with both goblins and orks. They can be aggressive to lower-level players, especially when several are in the area. Generally, only Level 32 and level 35 hobgoblins wield spears.
Players may find that they are good monsters to train on, mainly because they give decent free-to-play drops for a low-level creature. They also reside in the God Wars Dungeon, and when killed there they will add to the killcount for Bandos. Hobgoblins are often found in areas near water such as peninsulas, in caves, and in areas that contain Limpwurt root spawns. They will also drop these roots, making fighting them a good way to obtain them.
Characteristics and history
Hobgoblins are said to be similar to a cross between goblins and orks, which were brought with the other Bandosian races from Yu'Biusk in the Second Age. As such, they possess characteristics of both races, possessing the pointed ears and height of the goblins, in addition to the tusks and physique of the orks.
While not as tenacious as goblins or as strong as orks, hobgoblins have strength that exceeds that of a goblin significantly and are agile, mobile guerrilla units in battle unlike lumbering orks and ogres, making them a good all-round fighter.
- Crandor (level 28)
- Daemonheim while Dungeoneering
- Hobgoblin Peninsula west of Crafting Guild (Levels 30 and 35)
- Edgeville Dungeon (Levels 28 and 32)
- God Wars Dungeon (Level 91)
- The Hollows (Beware of Poison spiders nearby) (Level 28 and 32)
- Near the Karamja Hunter area, South of Tai Bwo Wannai (Level 28)
- Around the Outpost (Levels 28 and 32)
- North of Rellekka (Some are on islands and can only be hit by Ranged or Magic) (Level 32)
- Player owned houses
- Gnome Village Dungeon (Level 28)
- Waterbirth Island (Level 28)
- Wilderness (Hobgoblin Mine at level 45-50 wilderness.) (Level 28)
- Witchaven Dungeon (Level 35)
- Asgarnian Ice Dungeon (Levels 28 and 32)
Hobgoblins are one of the 'races' who have a champion in the Champions' Challenge Distraction and Diversion. To fight the Hobgoblin Champion, the player must kill hobgoblins until one drops a Champion's scroll, a very rare drop.
Charms (members only)
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 24,744 kills.|
1 charm is dropped at a time.
|Hobgoblin skin||1||Unknown||Not sold|
|Warpriest of Bandos helm||1||Varies||Not sold|
|Warpriest of Bandos cuirass||1||Varies||Not sold|
|Warpriest of Bandos greaves||1||Varies||Not sold|
|Warpriest of Bandos gauntlets||1||Varies||Not sold|
|Warpriest of Bandos boots||1||Varies||Not sold|
|Warpriest of Bandos cape||1||Varies||Not sold|
|Poison ivy seed(m)||1||Uncommon||128|
|Bittercap mushroom spore(m)||1||Uncommon||2,769|
|Spirit weed seed(m)||1||Uncommon||18,694|
|Dwarf weed seed(m)||1||Rare||1,499|
|Grimy dwarf weed(m)||1||Rare||9,614|
- ^ God Wars Dungeon (wiki). "Hobgoblins are like a cross between a goblin and an ork, but they lack a goblin's tenacity and an ork's brute strength. They make up for this by being almost as numerous as the goblins but far stronger."*
- ^ History of the Goblins (wiki). "Hobgoblins were hardy but highly mobile, capable of guerilla engagements behind enemy lines."*
- ^ Only during the Fur 'n' Seek quest.
- ^ a b c d e f Players who previously bought this in The Bird and the Beast will have a greater chance of receiving this as a drop. Only in the God Wars Dungeon.
- ^ Only dropped by hobgoblins on Karamja
|Hobgoblin Champion's scroll(m)||1||Very rare[note 1]||Not sold|
|Starved ancient effigy(m)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Spirit sapphire(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit emerald(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit ruby(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Sacrifice||1||Rare[note 2]||Not sold|
|Devotion||1||Rare[note 2]||Not sold|
|Transfigure||1||Rare[note 2]||Not sold|
- ^ 1/5000 drop rate
- ^ a b c Abilities are not dropped as items; instead, they are simply learned when the monster is killed, prompting the message: You have unlocked the <Ability> ability!. They are dropped alongside the main drop. Only dropped by hobgoblins in the God Wars Dungeon.
Rare drop table drops
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items such as a ring of wealth or luck of the dwarves are not required to access the table.
|Show/hide rare drop table|
|Uncut diamond||45–55 (noted)||Rare||114,165–139,535|
|Loop half of a key||1||Common||11,226|
|Tooth half of a key||1||Common||15,344|
|Uncut dragonstone||45–55 (noted)||Rare||532,935–651,365|
|Rune platebody||15–25 (noted)||Rare||562,200–937,000|
|Shield left half||1||Rare||64,720|
|Onyx bolts||135–165||Very rare||1,046,385–1,278,915|
|Water talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||190,255–240,014|
|Earth talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||12,220–15,416|
|Fire talisman||25–35 (noted)||Rare||8,125–11,375|
|Raw lobster||135–165 (noted)||Common||81,810–99,990|
|Raw shark||225–275 (noted)||Uncommon||239,850–293,150|
|Big bones||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||13,124–15,826|
|Dragon bones||180–220 (noted)||Rare||417,960–510,840|
|Gold ore||90–110 (noted)||Common||34,650–42,350|
|Adamantite ore||180–220 (noted)||Uncommon||42,660–52,140|
|Adamant bar||14–16 (noted)||Common||17,724–20,256|
|Adamant bar||135–165 (noted)||Rare||170,910–208,890|
|Runite ore||90–110 (noted)||Rare||80,910–98,890|
|Rune bar||3 (noted)||Common||6,138|
|Rune bar||45–55 (noted)||Rare||92,070–112,530|
|Grimy torstol||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||717,120–876,480|
|Grimy snapdragon||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||159,210–194,590|
|Super restore (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||160,470–196,130|
|Prayer potion (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||163,125–199,375|
|Dwarf weed seed||14–16||Uncommon||20,986–23,984|
|Palm tree seed||10||Rare||881,090|
|Molten glass||45–55 (noted)||Common||16,200–19,800|
|Soft clay||450–550 (noted)||Uncommon||255,600–312,400|
|Yew logs||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||13,736–16,564|
|Yew logs||675–825 (noted)||Rare||136,350–166,650|
|Teak plank||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||13,500–16,500|
|Mahogany plank||270–330 (noted)||Rare||226,530–276,870|
|Vecna skull||1||Very rare||88,700|
|Hazelmere's signet ring||1||Very rare||1,621,945,897|
|Brawling gloves (Melee)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Magic)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Agility)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (FM)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Mining)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (WC)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Mimic kill token||1||Very rare||7,491|
- In mythology, hobgoblins are intelligent and helpful versions of goblins. In RuneScape, it is quite the contrary.
- On 23 September 2009, hobgoblins and their revenant counterparts received a graphical makeover.
- Following their graphical redesign, hobgoblins bear a very close resemblance to Moblins from The Legend of Zelda, particularly the ones from Ocarina of Time. They also look very similar to Ganon from the non-canon television series, except that he wore a robe in the series, whereas hobgoblins in RuneScape wear bulky armour.
- In Armies of Gielinor, before summoning a hobgoblin, this text will appear: "The hobgoblin occupies the rung on the evolutionary ladder between goblin and ork, and so displays the best and worst traits of both races."
- According to the Runescape Official Handbook, hobgoblins keep their teeth sharp so they can eat their opponent.