|Release||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|Was the biggest, meanest dragon around.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|129 / 86 / 43|
4 ticks (2.4s)
The King Black Dragon (named Shakorexis by Hannibus) is an enormous, three-headed black dragon. He was the second dragon ever, created by Kerapac's fellow dragonkin Phalaks; a failed project intended to replicate the powerful Queen Black Dragon some time in or before the First Age. One decade later, he was released into the Wilderness.
The King Black Dragon can be killed to collect the soul of a black dragon in an ushabti.
Obtaining all of his unique drops is required for the title [Name] the Last Rider.
There are two ways that players can reach the King Black Dragon's Lair. Note that the lair itself is not considered part of the Wilderness, and therefore there is no risk of being killed by other players.
- There is a ladder in level 43 of the Wilderness guarded by four lesser demons, leading to a small area with poison spiders and a lever which can be pulled to access the King Black Dragon's lair. Entering the lair with this method will grant players a 10% damage boost against the King Black Dragon. Wilderness Obelisks may be useful in reaching it. Players should be wary of player killers if planning to use this route.
- Players can use either the artefact in the Wilderness wall north-west of the Edgeville lodestone, or the artefact in the Lava Maze Dungeon. Activating either one will teleport the player to the lair; however, using an artefact to enter will not grant players the damage boost the way using the lever does.
The Third dragonkin journal reveals that another Dragonkin (now known as Phalaks) created the King Black Dragon after seeing Kerapac's Queen Black Dragon. Although Kerapac noted that he was much smaller, he surmised that they could be used for breeding strong dragons which were immune to Jas' curse. The Fourth dragonkin journal mentions, however that the new dragons were too "bestial" and "broken", so the King Black Dragon was released into what would then be called the Wilderness.
Sometime during the Second Age, Zaros brought the Ilujanka to Gielinor after seeing them ride a similar race to the dragons. Calling them Dragon Riders, they were feared by their enemies due to their dragon-riding skills. It is shown through the Last riders book that Hannibus rode the King Black Dragon, calling him Shakorexis. Hannibus and the rest of the Dragon Riders faithfully served Zaros, until there were five Dragon Riders left, which included Hannibus. Due to Zaros' failure to fulfil his promise, two of the Dragon Riders, Morvannon and Apropos wanted to side with Zamorak, while the other two, Ablenkian and Balustan, stood with Zaros. Hannibus and the King Black Dragon stayed neutral and watched as the others were killed off by their supporting sides due to confusion. Hannibus and the King Black Dragon stayed in the room which they had been brought in, which is where the King Black Dragon resides to this day. However, the Mahjarrat Enakhra was determined to capture Hannibus for Zamorak. To increase the King Black Dragon's chances of survival, Hannibus reluctantly left him.
Sometime after being left alone, the white dragon Therragorn came to him. They became friends, and Therragorn asked him to hide her from hunters, who were killing off the white dragons for armour. He assisted by hiding her in some ruins south-east of the Rogues' Castle, which he could hide from view.
A Visit by Bob and Neite
Bob, a reincarnation of Robert the Strong, entered a relationship with Neite. In one of their travels, they visited the King Black Dragon, who Bob was friends with. The King Black Dragon told Bob that he had been doing the same activity as always; adventurers trying to kill him. At this point, R4ng3rNo0b889 barged in and attempted to kill him, but he did no damage and the King Black Dragon immediately scorched him to a crisp.
A Visit by Hannibus
Hannibus, freed by an adventurer, desired to return to his home planet of Iaia. However, he had no idea on how to do so, as he did not want to get involved with the gods again, nor could teleportation and fairy rings bring him back home. Hannibus accompanied the adventurer by looking into both the mysterious statues and dragons themselves, but did not find any result. Hannibus suddenly remembered about his old mount and the two went to the lair that he resided in.
Hannibus greeted his former mount, before the King Black Dragon noticed the adventurer alongside him, either recognizing them from previous encounters or as food if they had not fought before. Regardless, Hannibus asked him about a white dragon, which he affirmed he knew and took them out to the location where he hid Therragorn. His presence ensured that the two would not be attacked, and upon arriving, unlocked the entrance with a Dragonkin phrase before leaving.
Suggestions for fighting
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 1,185 kills.|
4 charms are dropped at a time.
|Mystic cloth||1–3 (noted)||Uncommon||4,656–13,968|
|Yew logs||50; 80 (noted)||Common||8,050–12,880|
|Magic logs||10 (noted)||Common||4,090|
|Rune arrow||50; 75; 100||Uncommon||7,550–15,100|
|Rune sq shield||1||Uncommon||22,047|
|Off-hand rune battleaxe||1||Uncommon||24,327|
|Gold ore||50 (noted)||Uncommon||14,950|
|Silver ore||100 (noted)||Uncommon||7,400|
|Rune bar||2 (noted)||Uncommon||6,264|
|Adamant bar||8 (noted)||Uncommon||13,816|
|Runite ore||3 (noted)||Uncommon||4,695|
|Uncut ruby||6 (noted)||Common||7,350|
|Wine of Zamorak||6||Rare||36,744|
|Dragon rider boots(m)||1||Very rare (1/2,000)[d 1]||801,197|
|Dragon rider gloves(m)||1||Very rare (1/2,000)[d 1]||474,322|
|Dragon kite ornament kit (sp)(m)||1||Very rare (1/2,000)[d 1]||11,937|
|Dragon kite ornament kit (or)(m)||1||Very rare (1/2,000)[d 1]||17,616|
|Off-hand rune longsword||1||Uncommon||18,210|
|Black dragon egg (unchecked)||1||Very rare (1/2,000)||231,088|
|Black dragon tail-bone(m)||1||Uncommon[d 2]||Not sold|
|King black dragon head(m)||1||Rare (1/128)[d 1]||Not sold|
|Starved ancient effigy(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Court summons(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Sealed clue scroll (hard)(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Last riders||1||Very rare[d 3][d 4]||Not sold|
|Sealed clue scroll (elite)(m)||1||Very rare[d 5]||Not sold|
|Draconic visage||1||Very rare (1/5,000)[d 1]||1,181,109|
|King black dragon scale||1||Very rare[d 6]||Not sold|
- ^ a b c d e f Mod Shauny. Dev Blog: Revealing Drop Rates. 3 November 2017. (Archived from the original on 3 November 2017.)*
- ^ Tail-bone drops only during the Fur 'n' Seek wish list
- ^ Jagex. Mod Rowley's Twitter account. Mod Rowley: "Recent article is incorrect on this point. As it was previously stated/how you understand it is correct. Guaranteed on 2,000th solo kill."
- ^ Last Riders is dropped to all players (regardless of whether they participate in the kill, or are even in the room). It remains for approximately 30 seconds before disappearing. Base drop rate of 1/1,000, but after 1,000 kill count, each kill will decrease the denominator by 1, so it is a guaranteed drop on a solo kill with a kill count of at least 2,000.
- ^ There is a 1% chance of this being a sealed clue scroll (master) instead
- ^ Has a base drop rate of 1/2,500 with a threshold of 500.
Rare drop table
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items such as a ring of wealth or luck of the dwarves are not required to access the table.
|Show/hide rare drop table|
|Uncut diamond||45–55 (noted)||Rare||125,640–153,560|
|Loop half of a key||1||Common||11,046|
|Tooth half of a key||1||Common||13,596|
|Uncut dragonstone||45–55 (noted)||Rare||565,470–691,130|
|Rune platebody||15–25 (noted)||Rare||562,200–937,000|
|Shield left half||1||Rare||65,149|
|Onyx bolts||135–165||Very rare||1,064,070–1,300,530|
|Water talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||368,290–464,612|
|Earth talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||43,420–54,776|
|Fire talisman||25–35 (noted)||Rare||19,250–26,950|
|Raw lobster||135–165 (noted)||Common||27,270–33,330|
|Raw shark||225–275 (noted)||Uncommon||220,050–268,950|
|Big bones||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||11,628–14,022|
|Dragon bones||180–220 (noted)||Rare||362,340–442,860|
|Gold ore||90–110 (noted)||Common||26,910–32,890|
|Adamantite ore||180–220 (noted)||Uncommon||48,600–59,400|
|Adamant bar||14–16 (noted)||Common||24,178–27,632|
|Adamant bar||135–165 (noted)||Rare||233,145–284,955|
|Runite ore||90–110 (noted)||Rare||140,850–172,150|
|Rune bar||3 (noted)||Common||9,396|
|Rune bar||45–55 (noted)||Rare||140,940–172,260|
|Grimy torstol||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||493,740–603,460|
|Grimy snapdragon||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||133,740–163,460|
|Super restore (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||169,470–207,130|
|Prayer potion (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||115,695–141,405|
|Dwarf weed seed||14–16||Uncommon||4,732–5,408|
|Palm tree seed||10||Rare||237,960|
|Molten glass||45–55 (noted)||Common||9,450–11,550|
|Soft clay||450–550 (noted)||Uncommon||311,850–381,150|
|Yew logs||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||10,948–13,202|
|Yew logs||675–825 (noted)||Rare||108,675–132,825|
|Teak plank||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||17,190–21,010|
|Mahogany plank||270–330 (noted)||Rare||242,190–296,010|
|Vecna skull||1||Very rare||215,751|
|Hazelmere's signet ring||1||Very rare||1,758,438,364|
|Brawling gloves (Melee)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Magic)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Agility)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (FM)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Mining)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (WC)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Mimic kill token||1||Very rare||8,622|
- One Final Ride ( 20) - Find and read the Last Riders book, dropped by the King Black Dragon.
- Changing of the Guard ( 20) - Defeat the King Black Dragon while wearing black dragonhide in six equipment slots.
- Loyal Subject ( 20) - Get the King Black Dragon to fully degrade a mole anti-dragon shield.
- How to shame your Dragon ( 0) - Obtained a collection of unique drops from the King Black Dragon.
- Three Heads are Deader than One ( 5) - Defeat the King Black Dragon several times depending on the tier.
- The King Black Dragon can talk, as seen in A Tail of Two Cats, One of a Kind and 2015 Christmas event.
- Multiple King Black Dragons exist, as shown with the presence of Verak Lith and Verak Little.
- The dragonkin research book refers to the King Black Dragon as "Verak Kreath Draekun", which is "King Black Dragon" translated literally into the dragonkin language.
- For a while after the Evolution of Combat, despite being a boss monster, the King Black Dragon could be tagged, allowing the player who hit him first to receive the drop even if they did little or no damage. This has been fixed.
- It was revealed in the April 2011 BTS that the Kalphite Queen and the King Black Dragon were due to be married on 29 April 2011, to coincide with the wedding of Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton in the United Kingdom. However this turned out to be a marketing ploy by Diango.
- The examine text "The biggest, meanest dragon around" wasn't true after Queen Black Dragon was released, as the Queen Black Dragon is much, much bigger and stronger than the King Black Dragon. His examine was changed due to this, to "Was the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- A while after the Queen Black Dragon was released, when you killed a King Black Dragon, the Adventurer's log said: "I killed a King Black Dragon, the biggest, meanest dragon around." After its graphical update the adventurer's log was also changed to "I killed a King Black Dragon, which was once the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- According to his Top Trumps card, he is 10 meters tall and is over 13,000 years old, meaning he was created in or before the First Age, assuming that the commonly assumed lengths of the ages are accurate.
- The King Black Dragon was made available to free-to-play players on 29 February 2016.
- He used to have a damage cap of 5,000 for a normal attack, and 6,000 on a critical hit.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this boss was 48,352 kills.
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 2 Feb 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Boss in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 6 May 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Boss in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
King Black Dragon
|This template is about King Black Dragon|