Members object was the term given to any item that could only be used on a Members world. If you saw one on a Free-to-play world, its name became "Members object" and it could not be traded. If it was already equipped, the player would still have it equipped on the free world, but if it was removed it couldn't be put back on until you are on a members world. If member's items were equipped that provided defence or attack bonuses, it lost them and became dead weight. All members objects had the same examine text: "Login to a members' server to use this object." in RS2 and "You need to be a member to use this object" in RuneScape Classic.
Destroyable items such as the Barrelchest anchor, despite having the "drop" option, will still bring up a message asking if you want the item to get destroyed, and will perform accordingly.
You could not drop trade members objects. They would just end up disappearing if they were on the ground too long.
On 19 April 2012 a hidden update came out making members items in free-to-play appearing as their actual name in pay-to-play worlds. The items however only have three options, Use, Drop, and Examine. The Examine text remained the same.
- The Jewellery store in Port Sarim, owned by Grum, previously sold Bracelets on both members and Free-to-play worlds. Bracelets are members-only items. As a result, this shop was the only store in Free-to-play that sells Members objects.
- The item King's message, although only obtainable on pay-to-play world, untradeable, and starts Regicide (a pay-to-play quest), can be read on a free world, and will not appear as a "Members object". Similarly, the Armadyl communiqué is received during the members' quest Temple of Ikov but does not appear as "Members object" on free servers.
- There used to be a glitch where when in a F2P world, use a Karamjan rum with a piece of silk will create a member's object. What it creates on a P2P world is called a cleaning cloth. This glitch is since fixed.
- When Baked potatoes were first released, free players could cook them, yielding a members object.
- There used to be a glitch where free players who had started the "Purple Cat" miniquest could solve the puzzle and get the Magic Unguent, which would be a "Members object". This glitch was fixed, and Lottie now says "Why don't you come back and collect that the next time you're on a members' world?", and the dialogue says "You search the chest and find a members' item. Since you can't carry it, you leave it where it is."
- The Swept Away quest was released on both members and free-to-play worlds (along with the release of the 2008 Hallowe'en event) for a week, after of which was made purely members. The reward for completing the quest is a broomstick, a free-to-play item. However, only members can benefit from its teleporting abilities. On 24 June 2010 the quest was reopened to non-members.
- For a while after the release of Shattered Heart, it was possible for members to find strange rocks in non-members worlds, resulting in the creation of a members object (although they would still receive the message "You find a strange rock."). This has since been fixed.
- There was another glitch created when Stealing Creation was released. You could talk to the Head Mystic, and he would give you a Stealing Creation cape and the Stealing Creation music track on a free world, but you would not be inside the minigame. You could go anywhere, but you could not take the cape off because a message appeared saying that "You can not take this object off during the minigame." This glitch was quickly fixed in a system update.
- On 16 January 2009 there was a glitch where you couldn't drop a Members Object. There were only two options to choose, Use and Examine. The only way to lose a Members Object that day was to get skulled and die or have an item of greater value and die. This glitch was fixed the next day.
- It was possible to cast spells like High Level Alchemy on Members objects. Because their value was worth much more in F2P, high alching members objects was a fast and easy way to make money. However, Jagex quickly caught on to this, fixed the bug, and issued lengthy bans to everyone who abused it. You can no longer high alch members items on free to play worlds.
- The Skull from Draynor Manor used to be obtainable as a member's object by using a spade on the mound of dirt west of Draynor Manor.
- Since the release of Dungeoneering, free players have been able to smith arrowtips, creating a members object. Free players can also find Bovimastyx above tier 5 (the highest tier for free players), kill them, and occasionally even get their hides, which are not members objects, however, they could even go as far as crafting ranged armour from them (with the required crafting level), but such armour would be members objects.
- In 2004 and earlier dragon bones dropped by Elvarg could be picked up by free players camping skeletons who just needed to kill her for the Dragon Slayer quest. To do that, they would have entered her lair right after someone had finished the kill, picking up the members object and dropping everything else right before the respawn, assuring the protection for the object after being killed.