- Base tank (BT) - Player should be tanking Nex's variety of melee and magic attacks, while manoeuvring Nex away to prevent punishment to other players and then close to the final pillar to allow for quick kills. The tank should be prepared to endure significant damage with Nex's enrage stacks while also suffering defensive ability resets.
- Base tank (BU) - Backup tank in case the main tank is unprepared for a defensive reset, gets iced, dies, or just needs damage negation for any reason. A backup tank should be on the lookout to Barricade+Intercept players inside the Shadow Ring and players who have to run into poorly placed pulses.
- Debuffer - One magic DPS should cast the debuff spells Vulnerability and Enfeeble to increase damage dealt to Nex by 10% and decrease damage received from Nex by 10%, respectively. These spells only last for one minute so they need to be recast every minute. Debuff spells can also miss and needs to be recast again if they do. The debuffer can also use Claws of Guthix special attack every minute. Otherwise, a melee debuffer can use Statius's warhammer's special attack to increase hit chance each minute or Quake to temporarily reduce target stats.
- DPS - Once all other roles are filled, any remaining slots should be DPS in Power armour. The DPS should assign themselves to a quadrant for Reavers and Praesul, surging into that quadrant if Nex is not facing in that direction.
Ideally, ALL DPS players are in power armour or void.
Like Vorago, melee can be used but is not recommended for those inexperienced, as it is much easier to manoeuvre around Nex's attacks with magic or ranged. However, the utility with melee such as Quake can prove very useful.
Dominion Tower gloves like spellcaster gloves and swift gloves are very effective here as Nex does not seem to replenish stats. Other items such as the Statius warhammer or Guthix staff will further increment your whole team's hit chance.
Augmenting your items will easily boost your DPS depending on what perks are used and should be utilised for this encounter.
Nex will only use melee and magic attacks against the team, and will chase after her target. They are similar to the attacks in the normal encounter during her Zaros phase. The only difference is that her melee attack has a larger area of effect. An instance is required to fight Nex; this instance is free of charge, but will only last for 1 kill.
Upon entering the instance, you appear on a balcony overlooking the arena below. A teleport pillar is placed in front of you used to teleport to the arena. Players who die during the kill can come back to this balcony and watch the rest of the fight, but will not be able to rejoin. In the centre of the arena, there is a Mysterious Energy which starts the boss fight. There is no confirmation dialogue, and Nex will spawn immediately.
At the start of the kill, Nex says Witness the true power of the elements. The pure power I have wrought into my will. Like all the messages during the fight, it is also repeated in the chat interface. Once the energy is released, it is a fight to the death; players will only leave if they are victorious or killed in battle, and no more players can join once it is released.
Nex can get enrage in a manner similar to Beastmaster Durzag. In addition, a passive enrage stack is also present throughout the fight. As this stack increases, Nex will deal more damage to everyone fighting her.
If you die while fighting Nex, your gravestone will appear outside in the lobby area in the Ancient Prison.
Nex uses the following abilities:
- Power from elements - Nex teleports to centre and looks at a quadrant. After a few seconds ice appears dividing the quadrants (which deals heavy damage if you're on them). 3 blood reavers with 50,000 lifepoints spawn at the corners Nex is not facing. These reavers do not attack the players meaning you can soul split them; instead, they simply approach Nex. If the reavers touch Nex, they will instantly die and add enrage to her. After dividing the quadrants, she will yell "WITNESS THEIR RAW POWER.", hitting everyone who was in that quadrant for 3,500 damage for three hits. This damage can be reduced/blocked by defensive abilities; use Reflect and Resonance to mitigate damage. If nobody is in the corner Nex was facing, 20 enrage is added.
- Shadow orbs - After calling the command: Let the shadows engulf you. Give it in., Nex will send red shadow orbs continually at every player's location. Standing still will deal heavy damage. She will send three orbs for each player, sending them out one at a time. Moving one space away from your location for each spawned orb is enough to avoid taking damage. These orbs will remain on the floor as a highly-damaging objects, even after being initially evaded. It is essential not to step back on them until they disappear later in the fight. However, they will disappear much faster if they were placed in one of the four cardinal directions, as a straight line (be mindful not to place them too close to where the Base Tank will be, however).
- Blood sacrifice - If a reaver touched Nex, Nex will say "Taste the power of a true blood sacrifice." a few attacks after the reavers spawn. It will deal damage equal to 1/10ths of the total health the reavers had when they touched Nex to all players.
|After ice boundaries are removed, walk Nex away from any surviving reavers to prevent a blood sacrifice. Afterwards return Nex to the middle of the arena.|
|Players should return to their assigned quadrant to kill reavers unless Nex is facing in that direction. If Nex is facing, only one player should remain in the area, using Debilitate or Reflect to reduce damage then promptly running out from the quadrant. Reavers should be stunned and used to prepare ultimate for Nex's shadow attack.|
During this phase, have an equal amount of people in each corner to deal with the blood reavers that appear. After some time has passed, she will use her "power from the elements" attack, facing one corner at the same time. The tanker should try to avoid being in the quadrant that Nex is looking at, as the extra damage from the pillar can result in them being easily combo'ed by Nex's powerful attacks.
Blood reavers will appear in the quadrants that Nex is not facing at. Immediately kill them (Ice Barrage is highly recommended); bind and stun the reavers to stall them from reaching Nex. Players should try to avoid standing in where the icicles will pop up or they will take heavy damage. Once the icicles retract, the tank should lure Nex away from the middle to prevent the reavers from reaching her as fast.
Nex continues to attack normally for a bit. After that, she will say "Let the shadows engulf you. Give in to it.", players should be prepared to move as shadow orbs will start falling from the ceiling three times. Standing on an active shadow orb will deal heavy damage.
Continue damaging Nex until she reaches 2,100,000 lifepoints.
As soon as Nex reaches 70% of her lifepoints, she will summon four amalgamations of the Ancient Magicks; Smoke, Shadow, Blood and Ice. They explode in a small area when they appear, dealing 4000 damage. Each one has 40,000 lifepoints and an orange/blue bar over them. While Nex summons the amalgamations, she will take reduced damage.
If the amalgamations are not destroyed in time, the praesuls (Fumus, Umbra, Cruor, Glacies) will appear without saying anything. They have 300,000 lifepoints and can use abilities against the players, which can deal a lot of damage. Both Siphon and Natural Instinct affect the four mages as if the battle was PvP.
If the amalgamations are destroyed before the bar fills, the praesuls will appear with 50% (150,000) of their health, saying a random quote:
- "So be it. I'll do what I can."
- "Too soon, but more than enough to crush you."
- "I do not feel complete master, my contact with the elements have been cut short."
|Kill the praesul. The order of how you kill the praesul will determine how the crystals in the corners will unlock, and Nex will get new abilities from their deaths. The praesul should be killed clockwise or counterclockwise starting with Umbra (due to the shadow crystal being very tedious to deal with), since the ice crystal's effect can be negated with freedom; the shadow traps from the shadow crystals can be extremely deadly, especially if you are frozen by icicles in the previous phase or from the ice crystal itself. Four players can lure all of the praesul to the centre rather easily by running from one side of the blue trim to the other, allowing AoE abilities to be used.
Reavers take priority over praesul.
Regardless, always use Anticipate, Freedom, and Devotion when possible, as you will either take a lot of damage or die if Nex throws shadow orbs when the praesul decides to stun you.
After reaching 1,800,000 lifepoints, Nex will discard her abilities from the previous phase in exchange for the ones below:
- Smoke Wall - Similar to Vindicta's dragonfire wall attack, Nex will target two players with a visible popup warning of power being called from a direction and summon a line of smoke in a "+" formation. Players hit by the smoke wall will be dealt with rapid hits of 1500-2000 magic damage which cannot be blocked. Upon receiving this message, run into a corner until the smoke wall appears so that it's not placed in the middle of the arena. If the player positions themselves correctly, the smoke will not appear at all.
- Shadow Ring - Nex sends a small black cloud in a random direction. Upon landing, a shadow ring spawns. While it seemingly looks harmless, when someone moves into the ring, an unstable crystal will appear. If no one absorb the crystal, everyone will be hit for damage equal to 37,500 split over the number of players on the team, to a minimum of 3,750 each. Grabbing the crystal will deal 14,000 damage, which is split evenly to everyone that was in the shadow ring when it was grabbed. Nex announces this attack with the line Even I can not control the element of smoke... Let us see if you can. This is followed by the following message in the chat interface: Nex casts a thick black smoke towards the centre of the arena.
- "You... stay... DOWN!" - Nex picks and stuns a random amount of targets, and an icicle will collapse on them a few seconds later. Other players near the targeted player(s) will take 5,000 damage from the icicle that appears if they are within a 5x5 radius from the targeted player(s). This icicle has 100,000 life points, or 50,000 life points if two icicles spawn. If this icicle is not destroyed in time, when the victims are free and when the icicle has +30,000, 20,000-29,999, or 1-19,999 life points, they will take a 2,000 bleed for 6, 5, or 4 hits respectively, which increases to 3,000 if they don't move around. Freedom and Anticipation will prevent the initial stun before the icicle spawns and but have no effect on the bleed.
|Players should continue to focus on Nex while keeping her away from her special attacks and slowly moving to the southeastern corner.
Smoke Wall - assigned players should run away from the team to position the smoke outside the fight area. For example, if receiving "power from the East," run north so the horizontal smoke line is north of players. Shadow Ring - alternating groups of players should run into the smoke after it spawns. In a small team, the backup tank should intercept-cade the team to negate damage.
Once Nex reaches 600,000 lifepoints, she will be invulnerable and the crystals in the corners will need to be destroyed. She will also use new attacks:
- Elements instant kill - Nex will target a random player with the message "Nex has marked you to take the full force of the elements," attempting to kill them by giving them a large amount of smoke, shadow, blood and ice energy. The player needs to stand in the dome barrier in the centre of the room, which appears when the praesul were killed. When she starts this ability, the targeted player(s) will be notified of this and a blue bar will appear over them, filling over time. If they are not inside the dome when it is filled, they will be instantly killed.
- Pulse follow-up - After the instant-kill attack, the player will be informed that the elements are boiling inside them. Like the instant-kill attack, another blue bar appears over them, filling over time. Once this bar fills, a large elemental pulse will appear at that location, dealing rapid damage of 3,000 each hit, if its radius was entered. The pulses last permanently until Nex is killed. Affected players should run from the centre of the arena to a wall or to a depleted pillar in the corner to release the pulse, then return to DPSing Nex.
- Virus (Smoke crystal) - The smoke crystal can occasionally allow Nex to send viruses out at players, which drains their stats and overload timers. At the end of this virus, the player's prayer points will be massively drained. This is weakened if the crystal is destroyed while the player is infected. Nex's magic attacks will also gain the ability to poison players, dealing around 1600 damage at maximum. Antipoison potions or the Venomblood perk are recommended.
- Shadow traps (Shadow crystal) - The shadow crystal allows Nex to mass place shadow traps underneath players, which will follow them around. While the damage is not instant, you will take rapid hits of unblockable heavy damage (up to 4800) if you are under a shadow trap. Multiple shadow traps are placed for set players, so one should continually move until they ensure there are no more shadow traps under them. Players will not be notified of traps appearing so they should look down to see if any traps are under them.
- Freeze (Ice crystal) - The ice crystal allows Nex to have the ability freeze players. Players will be notified that the ice crystal is starting to freeze them. As the freeze continues, an icy overlay similar to the Wyvern's cave will gradually appear; the more opaque it is, the closer it is to stunning the player. Using Freedom will remove the icy overlay (and the freeze attempt). If the freeze is not prevented, the player will have defensives reset and be bled for 2,000 damage 5 times, which increases to 3000 if they are near another player.
- Blood crystal - Until destroyed, allows Nex to heal over time from attacks.
The order of the crystals to attack is based on the deaths of the praesuls; for example, if the team killed Glacies, Cruor, Fumus and Umbra in that order, they must destroy the crystals starting from Ice, Blood, Smoke, and finally Shadow in that order.
For base tanks, she stops using her melee attacks and only uses magic for the remainder of the fight. She will gain enrage stacks if near a pillar that is activated (attackable), so Nex should be walked in a direction opposite that of the DPS team.
Once the last crystal is destroyed, Nex can be attacked again. She will lose access to all of her abilities except the instant-kill attack. Try to destroy the crystals quickly, as the more pulses there are on the map, the more dangerous it becomes. Once Nex dies, any potential rewards are dropped in the middle of the room, and a teleport shard spawns next to the rewards to take you out of the chamber. The shard will drop you back into the lobby room in the Ancient Prison, where you may rebank for another kill.