Onyx is a rare volcanic gem with a shiny black lustre which is used in the Crafting skill to make jewellery. As there are only a limited number of ways to obtain an onyx gem, it is the second-rarest gem in RuneScape behind the hydrix, which requires an onyx to complete.
An uncut onyx requires level 72 Crafting to cut, granting 167.5 Crafting experience when cut. Players may also use the Fletching skill to cut an onyx into onyx bolt tips by using a chisel on a cut onyx at level 73 Fletching. Cutting an onyx into bolt tips grants the player 9 experience in the Fletching skill and gives the player 24 onyx bolt tips. There are other, far cheaper and simpler ways to obtain onyx bolt tips, therefore this practice is not recommended due to the value of the gem.
A cut onyx can be combined with an incomplete hydrix from the Soul Reaper activity to make an uncut hydrix, which is required for hydrix jewellery. Enchanted hydrix jewellery may also be repaired with a cut onyx, recharging the jewellery by 50% and consuming the cut onyx in the process.
Uncut onyx can be purchased from TzHaar-Hur-Lek's Ore and Gem Store in TzHaar City, as a reward from the Fight Kiln, mining ores while using a gem-finding scrimshaw, in an oyster in a player-owned house aquarium, or while mining gem rocks in the Trahaearn District of Prifddinas. 100 onyx dust can also be transmuted to form an uncut onyx.
Onyx can be forged in a furnace with a gold bar and the appropriate mould to produce the following jewellery, which can then be enchanted to perform specific uses.
|Unenchanted||Enchanted||Level to Craft|
|Onyx ring||Ring of fortune||72|
|Onyx necklace||Berserker necklace||82|
|Onyx bracelet||Regen bracelet||84|
|Onyx amulet||Amulet of fury||90|
|Onyx ring||95,446||Ring of fortune||-93,021|
|Onyx necklace||-737,618||Berserker necklace||-879,216|
|Onyx amulet***||438,992||Amulet of fury***||10,300|
|Onyx bracelet||-852,845||Regen Bracelet||-1,165,407|
* Assumes all items are bought on the grand exchange.
** Assumes all items are bought on the grand exchange. Also assumes a fire staff is not used.
*** Includes the price of a ball of wool.
- This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ.
- To force an update of this list, click here.
- For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here.
|Hydrix dragon||133||1||Very rare|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||26.3%|
- The colour of onyx actually ranges from white to almost every colour, excluding shades of blue or purple.
- Visually, no gold can be seen on any onyx jewellery although they all require gold bars to be made.
- Onyxes and hydrixes are the only gems to have a decreased alchemy value when cut.
- Onyxes previously required 67 Crafting to cut, but this was changed to 72 Crafting on 27 March 2017.
- The Personalised shops update on 2 September 2009 raised the price of an uncut onyx in the TzHaar shops ninefold, from 300,000 to 2,700,000 Tokkul.
|Quests and Tasks||