|Release||7 February 2012 (Update)|
|High alch||0 coins|
|Low alch||0 coins|
|Examine||It can be used to make robust glass.|
Red sandstone can be mined from Mining rocks at level 81 Mining; this can be boosted. It can be made into robust glass by using the robust glass machine. To use the machine in Oo'glog, the As a First Resort quest needs to be complete; alternatively, if a player has access to Prifddinas, the Ithell Clan district houses a robust glass machine which can be used.
Mining the sandstone yields 70 experience per success. 50 red sandstone can be obtained from the Oo'glog red sandstone mine daily. The Oo'glog red sandstone mine is located on the northern wall of the city, east of the Oo'glog lodestone. An additional 25 can be obtained daily from the Sophanem red sandstone mine, east of Sophanem and north of the Camel Warriors island, after completion of the Elite desert tasks. The daily limit will reset on login, after 00:00 (UTC). There is no limit to the amount of robust glass that can be created per day.
|Experience (per ore)|
|Red Sandstone Locations|
|Location||Maps||Sandstone Per Day|
|Oo'glog red sandstone mine|
North of Oo'glog
|Sophanem red sandstone mine|
East of Sophanem
(Requires elite Desert tasks)
Total available daily:
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||98.9%|
It is possible to mine more than the maximum daily amount with the reward from shooting stars, which gives the player a chance of receiving double ore. Assuming the player is mining all the red sandstone available, the effect of the reward given by the shooting stars will allow the player to mine about 34 extra pieces per day. (Despite the shooting star bonus granting double ore, Varrock armour does not allow you to mine multiple pieces of red sandstone.)
The Resourceful aura can be used to slow the depletion of the rock so that additional red sandstone can be obtained per day, beyond the maximum of 50 in Oo'glog and 25 in Sophanem.
The Collector's insignia can also be used to slow the depletion of the desert red sandstone rock, however it doesn't appear to work in the Oo'glog location; this is likely a bug.
- According to Rutmir Arnhold, the walls of Oo'glog are composed of red sandstone, but the ogresses won't let anyone mine them for obvious reasons.
- Red sandstone alludes to the parallels Oo'glog has with the Australian outback, a remote, rural area in which the topsoil is red.
- On the day of release, red sandstone was tradeable, This was changed by an update to prevent an excessive influx and a decrease in prices for flasks.
- Unlike the animation for mining concentrated ore, which continues as if no ore was mined until the player's inventory is full or the deposit is emptied, the animation for red sandstone restarts after each successful attempt.
- On 7 September 2012, the rock from which you mine was moved a few squares south.