|Release date||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|The next attack you receive within 6 seconds will heal you instead of harm you. Heals 50% of the incoming damage and an additional 0.5% for every shield level. Certain large Boss attacks will have their damage prevented, but will not heal.|
Resonance is a basic Defence ability. When activated, the next melee, magic, or ranged attack received by the player within 6 seconds will heal the player instead of damaging them. It does not work on most typeless damage or poison, and does not work on a minority of typed attacks. The Preparation ability can be used to reduce the cooldown of Resonance by 3 seconds for each attack received.
When damage is converted to healing by this ability, the hit will still register, but it will be reduced to 1. If the hit is meant to deal 1 damage by any means (including through the effects of Devotion), the player is not healed, the damage is still dealt, and Resonance is not consumed.
Resonance heals from the highest hit taken on any given tick while any other hits deal full damage.
Resonance does not prevent stuns, but the damage associated with the stunning attack is healed from.
The amount this ability heals depends on the tier of the shield used, with a healing percentage equal to:
- $ Healing \% = 50 + 0.5 \times x $
- A tier 90 shield will heal 95% of incoming damage
- A tier 1 shield will heal 50.5%
- A tier 90 defender will heal as if it were a tier 45 shield: 72%
Note that this ignores most damage modifiers, so the relative amount is actually higher due to defence/armour damage reduction and effects like spirit shields being ignored. Prayers and ability-induced damage reduction (such as Reflect) are not ignored, and so will reduce Resonance's healing.
For example, a 2000 hit through 20% reduction and a spirit shield will be reduced to 1120, but Resonance would heal 87.5% (50% + 0.5*75) of the original 2000, resulting in a healing of 1750 points.
Resonance also ignores certain boss modifiers, such as Yakamaru's damage boosts. A 4000 hit from Yakamaru at maximum enrage will only heal 1000, as the x4 multiplier is also ignored. The 1 damage that passes through will be affected by the x4 multiplier, becoming 4 damage.
Resonance has no effect against most typeless damage hits, although there are numerous exceptions.
Against the following typeless damage (there may be others), Resonance will negate the damage and heal from it as usual:
- Araxxor and Araxxi's poison
- Telos' typeless font absorption damage in the fourth phase (excluding the final hitsplat of a given font)
- Deflect damage from most sources (Mirrorback spider, deflect curses, cobweb shield)
- Solak's blight damage
Resonance will block damage but heal a "0" against the following typeless attacks, which include but are not limited to the following examples. In general, other defence abilities can reduce this kind of typeless damage if Resonance can block it.
- Nomad's autoattack and Soul Blast
- Vorago's Vitalis-spawning orb
- Helwyr's DoT
- The Twin Furies' channelled bomb
- Telos' uppercut, prayer disabling jump, red shockwaves, So Much Power, weak anima bomb, tendrils, rockfall, and virus
- Nex: Angel of Death's instant kill pulse bomb, elements quadrant damage, and amalgamation spawn explosion
- Penance King's attacks and King spawns' explosion
- Lucien's "You dare attack a god?" attack
- Normal mode K'ril Tsutsaroth's prayer smash
- Solak's anima mines and spore bomb followup
- Astellarn's solar storm
- Verak Lith's ice, shock, and poison energy
Typed damage that Resonance (and Devotion) cannot affect includes, but is not limited to:
- Melee damage taken by being in the path of a charge from Tuz, Krar, or Cormes
- Nex: Angel of Death's ice prison melee bleed and magical smoke walls
- Vindicta and Gorvek's magical fire walls
- Magic red bombs summoned by Gielinor in the Memory of Nomad
- Magic damage from bombs thrown by Beastmaster Durzag
- Ripper Demons' death throes attack
- Black stone dragon's magic shadow bombs