Richard "Rick" Turpentine is a former highwayman. To atone for his past actions, he used to give the player some coins and a random food or valuable item such as a kebab or a ruby. If the player ignored him, he would attack the player with a crossbow whilst taking the player's coins. He greeted the player by saying, Greetings, milord <player>! if the player was male, or Greetings, milady <player>! if the player was female.
If players logged out whilst Rick Turpentine was their random event, he would exclaim What a dismal little spot this is and disappear. Rick was one of the random events that was retired on 25 February 2009, but he can still be seen in the Port Sarim Jail along with Cap'n Hand. If the player kills the mugger in his cell, he will cheer and say Hahaha! Thanks!
- Coins (up to 640)
- Spinach rolls
- Uncut gems (Sapphire, emerald, ruby, or diamond.)
- Cosmic talisman (m)
- Half of a key (m)
- Rick Turpentine's name and career as a highwayman may be derived from Dick Turpin, a historical English highwayman.
- As a random event, it was possible to kill Rick Turpentine with a combat Summoning familiar, but he did not drop anything nor have a death animation. This was also possible with the Drunken Dwarf and Cap'n Hand random events.
- Rick Turpentine was the only highwayman to be featured in chat, until the advent of Mega May in 2016, where the Rimmington highwayman could briefly be spoken to after being rescued from Jed the Slaver, but this was only a temporary event.
- If the player gets the court case Rick Turpentine v. The (Rich) People after he is abducted by Jed the Slaver and the Skulls, the cell where he should be is empty.