The Rules of RuneScape are part of the terms and conditions of playing RuneScape. When players make an account, they agree to be bound by the rules and to face punishment (i.e. a mute or a ban) if they do not abide by them.
Jagex's Customer Support team may apply a variety of sanctions against rule breakers, up to a permanent account ban. Lesser offences may result in a warning, temporary ban, or a temporary or permanent mute.
The RuneScape Forums operate under a set of slightly modified rules also called the Code of Conduct. Some sections of the rules are tailored and expanded upon to make them more suitable for the Forums. You can find more information about the Code of Conduct in RuneScape Forums. There are also specific rules tailored to each specific forum, called the "Forum Specific Rules", and they can be found by clicking on the link near the top of each forum.
Keeping your account's offences to a minimum contributes to greater chance of becoming a Player Moderator.
These rules were copied from the RuneScape website, but we cannot guarantee that they are accurate or up-to-date. Therefore, the rules given here cannot be taken as definitive, only those listed on the RuneScape website can. It is individual players' responsibility to ensure that they abide by Jagex's current rules and policies at all times in the game, on the RuneScape Forums, and everywhere else. Jagex rules are also enforced on this wiki, and any user who posts information or advice on how to break rules may be blocked from editing.
Rules of RuneScape
On 11 May 2009, Jagex changed the rules to three lists by category: Honour, Respect and Security. If you feel that someone is violating one of the rules of RuneScape, you can report the player using the Report button below the chatbox.
We expect our players not to cheat (as there are no cheats) or indulge in dishonest behaviour. With this in mind, the following behaviour is deemed unacceptable:
- Macroing, and use of bots or third-party software
- Real-world trading, or buying power-levelling
- Buying, selling or sharing an account
- Multiple logging-in to gain an unfair advantage (such as rigging mini-game results)
- Knowingly exploiting a bug
- Jagex staff impersonation
- Password, account, bank PIN or item scamming
- Encouraging others to break the rules
- Player-run games of chance (gambling)
Every RuneScape player is entitled to the respect of the other members of the player community. With this in mind, the following behaviour is deemed unacceptable:
- Discrimination of any kind, whether based on another player's race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation or religious beliefs
- Threatening another player, or bullying of any kind
- Using obscene or inappropriate language
- Inappropriate or discriminating username
- Spamming, or disruptive behaviour
- Misuse of the forums
It is of the utmost importance that the personal security of our players is not jeopardised while playing RuneScape. With this in mind, the following behaviour is deemed unacceptable:
- Asking for or providing personal information such as full names, ages, postal or email addresses, telephone numbers or bank details
- Discussing or advocating illegal activity of any kind, such as the use of illegal drugs
- Advertising other websites
Prior to the May 2009 update, the rules were organised by number, and not grouped in categories. Rule 10, later renamed to "Misuse of customer support", was eventually removed from the in-game report abuse interface.
- Rule 1 - Offensive Language - You must not use any language which is offensive, racist or obscene.
- Rule 2 - Item Scamming - You must not scam or deceive other players.
- Rule 3 - Password Scamming - Asking for another players password for any reason will not be tolerated.
- Rule 4 - Cheating/Bug Abuse - Any bugs found within the game must be reported to Jagex immediately.
- Rule 5 - Jagex Staff Impersonation - You should not attempt to impersonate Jagex staff in any way.
- Rule 6 - Account Sharing/Trading - Each account should only be used by ONE person.
- Rule 7 - Macroing - You must not use other programs to gain an unfair advantage at the game.
- Rule 8 - Multiple Logging-In - If you create more than one RuneScape account, they must not interact.
- Rule 9 - Encouraging Others to Break Rules - You must not encourage others to break any of the RuneScape rules.
- Rule 10 - False Representations - This service must be used appropriately and treated with respect at all times.
- Rule 11 - Advertising/Website - You are not allowed to actively advertise in the RuneScape game or RuneScape forums.
- Rule 12 - Real World Item Trading - RuneScape items must only be exchanged for other items/services within the game.
- Rule 13 - Asking for Personal Details - To protect players' safety and privacy, you must not ask for personal details.
- Rule 14 - Misuse of Official Forums - Forums must be used respectfully at all times.
- Rule 15 - Advert Blocking - Please do not block the Adverts in free-to-play RuneScape.
A RuneScape private server, or RSPS, is a game based upon a RuneScape version, not run by Jagex. Operating an RSPS without Jagex' consent, in some jurisdictions, induces copyright infringement. Jagex strongly recommends against using a private server, due to the risk of malware and theft of personal information.