Administrators, or sysops, are editors who have access to technical features that help with maintenance. Those include protecting and deleting pages, blocking other editors, and undoing these actions as well. RuneScape Wiki's practice is to grant this access to anyone who has been an active and regular RuneScape Wiki contributor for a while, is familiar with and respects RuneScape Wiki policy, and is generally a known and trusted member of the community.
Any user can behave as if they are an administrator (provided they do not falsely claim to be one), even if they have not been given the extra administrative functions. Users doing so are more likely to be nominated as full administrators by members of the community and more likely to be chosen when they are finally nominated. From early on, it has been pointed out that administrators should never develop into a special subgroup of the community (See RuneScape:All editors are equal), but should be a part of the community like anyone else only equipped with a few more tools to do some chores that would potentially be harmful if everyone were entrusted with them.
The community does look to administrators to perform essential housekeeping chores that require the extra access administrators are entrusted with. Among them are watching the Votes for deletion debates and carrying out the consensus of the community on keeping or deleting these articles, keeping an eye on new and changed articles to swiftly delete obvious vandalism, and meeting user requests for help that require administrative access. Since administrators are expected to be experienced members of the community, users seeking help will often turn to an administrator for advice and information. In general, administrators acting in this role are neutral. They do not have any direct involvement in the issues they are helping people with.
What can administrators do?
The wiki software has a few important features that are restricted to only administrators.
- Edit fully protected pages.
- Semi- and fully-protect and unprotect pages.
- Delete pages, including images, and their history.
- View and restore deleted pages, including images, and their history.
- Block and unblock users, IP address, and IP ranges.
- Revert pages quickly via the rollback method.
- One-click rollback is mainly intended for vandalism, spam, etc. Disputed content deserves an explanation, either in the edit summary or on the talk page, and it is not nice to omit that (either by rolling back, or by leaving the summary field blank).
- Change the text and style of the interface by editing the pages in the MediaWiki namespace or MediaWiki:Monobook.css
- Can view Special:Unwatchedpages to see pages which may be more vulnerable to vandalism.
- Can flag reported pages as not a problem, fixed, awaiting, or need staff help.
How do I become an administrator?
If you have been around for a while, other users will notice your good work. If another user notices this work, they may nominate you and add your name to RuneScape:Requests for adminship. Discussion will then take place by fellow editors in order to determine if there is consensus that you should become an administrator.
Be careful, please! If you are granted access, we ask that you exercise care in using these functions, especially the ability to delete pages and their history, to delete images, and the ability to block IP addresses. You can learn about your powers at the Wikipedia:Administrators' how-to guide. You should also take a look at the pages linked from the Wikipedia:Administrators' reading list before using any of your admin abilities.
Types of identified users, listed here in roughly ascending order of power, include:
- IP addresses - Visitors who haven't "signed in" can still do most things, including editing articles.
- Registered/Logged-in users can do everything IP addresses can do, but they can also upload files, move pages, hold a watchlist, maintain preferences, and mark edits as minor. Registered accounts four or more days old can edit semi-protected pages. See Special:UserLogin to sign yourself up!
- File:Rollbackcrown.PNG Rollbacks are regular users that have been entrusted with the rollback button. All sysops, janitors, and Wikia staff also have this button. The rollback button automatically reverts all revisions by the last author of a page and is only to be used for obvious vandalism and not disputed edits which deserves an explanation. See Special:ListUsers/rollback for a list.
- File:Botcrown.PNG Bots have their edits flagged with a "b" in page histories and do not show up in the recent changes by default. See Special:Listusers/bot for a list and RuneScape:Bots.
- File:Sysopcrown.PNG Administrators (sysops) - see Runescape:Administrators#What can administrators do?
- File:Bureaucratcrown.PNG Bureaucrats can turn other users into rollbacks, sysops or bureaucrats. Bureaucrats are created by other bureaucrats on projects where these exist, or by Wikia staff on projects that do not have an active bureaucrat. Sysoppings are recorded in Special:Log/rights.
- File:Helpercrown.PNG Helpers also have global sysop powers, but are interns or volunteers working for Wikia and not regular editors. See Special:ListUsers/Helper for a list as well as Wikia Helper Group.
- File:Staffcrown.PNG Staff are employees of Wikia Inc. They can change any user's access level and grant bot status. They also have full sysop powers on all of Wikia. In addition, they can see the IP of any logged in user using the checkuser function. They can also use the oversight function to delete revisions of a page so that only other Wikia staff members can view or restore them. See Special:ListUsers/staff for a list as well as Wikia Staff.
List of administrators
- C Teng
- Christine (Clv309)
- Kytti khat
- Morian Smith
- Robert Horning
- Sir Revan125
|AndorinKato||5 July 2008|
|Avian Maid||12 September 2008|
|Chaoticar||25 April 2008|
|Couchpotato99||30 July 2007|
|Dechaineux||5 July 2008|
|Endasil||2 October 2008|
|Gangsterls||30 October 2008|
|Hyenaste*||1 April 2008|
|Ilyas||8 November 2008|
|Malestro||24 October 2007|
|Megalodon99||16 May 2008|
|Oddlyoko*||4 September 2008|
|Pointy||6 October 2008|
|Sacre Fi*||8 August 2008|
|Skill*||21 October 2008|
|Syugecin||29 October 2008|
|Tarikochi||1 September 2008|
|Tesfan||23 August 2008|
|The evil dude||2 April 2008|
|Vimescarrot*||5 November 2008|
|Whiplash*||15 October 2008|
|Wowbagger421||12 September 2008|
- An asterisk (*) denotes a user with bureaucrat status.
- Cool Spy0 - Retired (Last edit: 8 April 2008)
- Eucarya* - Retired (Last edit: 14 April 2008)
- Huanghe63 - Retired (Last edit: 13 October 2007)
- Merovingian* - Retired (Last edit: 16 April 2006)
- X1011 - Retired (Last edit: 8 June 2006)
- Dreadnought was sysopped in October 2006 and had his power taken away by Sannse in October 2007 due to flaming, personal attacks, incivility, and keeping his account insecure.
- Puremexican requested to have his sysop powers removed after he decided to quit the wiki.
- Shadowdancer was given sysop status in July 2006, but had it taken away by Sannse in August 2006 when he went on a blocking spree after a disagreement with other community members.
No big deal
|“||Text of the quote||”|