RuneScape:Orphanage is a place where orphaned pages and files are "stored" to prevent them from appearing in Special:LonelyPages and Special:UnusedFiles. Pages (or images) should not be linked here just because they appear in these special pages, but linked because they are "orphans". (See the definition of "orphan" below.)
What is an orphan?
There are several factors that can classify an article as an orphan:
- Orphan: An article with fewer than three incoming links which meet the criteria for linking below.
- Isolated article: An article that cannot be reached via a series of links from the Main Page.
- Walled garden: A group of articles that link to each other, but have few or no links to them from any other RuneScape Wiki articles. In effect, that group is orphaned. Theoretically, a walled garden could have numerous articles if they all link to each other but no others link to them.
- Orphaned project page: A project page (starting with "RuneScape:") with few or no links from other project pages. Essays are most likely to be orphaned.
- Orphaned image: An image not used on RuneScape Wiki directly.
What is the problem with an orphaned article?
A company with no advertising will not be known to others, and as a result, will get few if any customers.
Likewise, orphaned articles, since they have few links to them from other pages, are difficult to find, and are most likely to be found only by chance. Because of this, few people know they exist, and therefore, they get less readership and improvement from those who would be able to improve them.
In particular, if the topic is more obscure, this may make it difficult for many to locate. If not for links to a page, the only way such an article can be found is by a person who knows the topic entering it into RuneScape Wiki or doing a web search, browsing a category in which it is contained, looking at the edit history of a contributor to the page, or having it show up as a random article.
An article is orphaned if fewer than three other articles link to it. Currently our priority is to focus on orphans with NO incoming links at all.
For the purposes of the strict definition, the following pages do not count toward the three incoming links:
- Disambiguation pages
- Discussion pages of articles
- Pages outside of article space
Ideally, except for disambiguation links, disambiguation pages should be orphaned. The only pages that should link to them are articles bearing the title (via templates such as Template:Redirect) and "See also" sections of other disambiguation pages (when separate disambiguation pages are created due to long length or variances in the titles).
List of orphaned articles
A list of orphaned articles can be found at Special:LonelyPages
Disambiguation pages are created in order to resolve conflicts in article titles that occur when a single term can be associated with more than one topic, making that term likely to be the natural title for more than one article. In other words, disambiguations are paths leading to different articles which could, in principle, have the same title.
List of orphaned Exchange pages
Ideally, all Exchange pages should be linked to, either from the item page, or from the sub-pages of the Grand Exchange Market Watch. Orphaned or uncategorised Exchange pages may appear in Special:WhatLinksHere/Grand Exchange Market Watch/Uncategorised.
A list of orphaned templates can be found here: Special:UnusedTemplates
Orphaned signatures can be found here: Template:Signatures/List
Miscellaneous orphaned templates can be found here: RuneScape:Orphanage/misc
Gallery of orphaned files
Some files may appear in the Unused Files list if they are not directly used in an article. These files are considered orphaned files.
These fonts can be used all around the wiki. The code behind the links shows the font-family name that can be used to render text in that font. The CSS that implements these fonts can be found at MediaWiki:Common.css/Webfonts.css.
- File:Runescape chat.woff / File:Runescape chat.eot (
- File:Runescape chat bold.woff / File:Runescape chat bold.eot (
- File:Runescape small.woff / File:Runescape small.eot (
- File:Runescape classic.woff / File:Runescape classic.eot (
- File:Kingthings Petrock-webfont.woff / File:Kingthings Petrock-webfont.eot (
- File:Museo Sans 500.woff / File:Museo Sans 500.eot (
- File:Leaguespartan-bold.woff / File:Leaguespartan-bold.eot (