|Release||15 June 2015 (Update)|
|Its scales seem to be fused with rune metal.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|252 / 168 / 84|
4 ticks (2.4s)
Rune dragons are metal dragons that can be found on Mount Firewake, in Kethsi. In order to fight rune dragons (and be assigned them for a slayer task), the player must first complete the quests Ritual of the Mahjarrat and Fate of the Gods.
Rune dragons are found in the remains of Mount Firewake, where the Kethsians kept the Stone of Jas, until it was overused and awakened the Dragonkin. Also located in this area is the laboratory of the Dactyl Forcae, a disciple of Kerapac, who created the adamant and rune dragons.
If the player dies on Mount Firewake, their gravestone spawns near the World Gate.
Rune dragons have a total of 3 phases that must be completed with each kill, with the first phase requiring the use of dragonbane bolts or arrows in order to break through their metallic armour and with the second phase being unreachable with melee weapons.
As with mithril and adamant dragons, rune dragons use all three styles of combat, in addition to the standard dragonfire. Their magic and melee attacks are simply standard attacks, while their ranged attack will freeze the player for one second, which can be avoided with Freedom and Anticipation.
During their second phase, their standard dragonfire is replaced with an "enhanced" dragonfire. The "enhanced" dragonfire is not as strong as it implies; rather, it functions similarly to the Queen Black Dragon's dragonfire (even super antifires with a dragonfire shield/anti-dragon shield cannot fully block - this attack is reduced to the low 400s with full antifire protection, and 800's with standard protection) though it is avoidable.
- Starts with 68,250 life points
- Dragonbane ammunition is essential on this phase, as all other attacks, including those of familiars, deal dramatically reduced damage.
- Starts with 45,045 life points. Any attacks during the transition will be reduced to 10% damage. 
- The dragon begins flying and becomes immune to melee attacks. Dragonbane is no longer required to deal full damage. In addition, the dragon stops using melee attacks and replaces its standard dragonfire attack with the enhanced version.
- Throughout this phase, the rune dragon may breathe a bright blue plume of enhanced dragonfire, dealing magic damage. This attack cannot be fully blocked by a super antifire or wyrmfire potion, and will deal a minimum of 450 magic damage. However, if the player is far enough from the dragon, a small cloud appears under the player indicating the enhanced dragonfire is being used and can be avoided by moving away from it.
- Starts with 22,522 life points. Any attacks during the transition will be reduced to 10% damage. 
- The rune dragon gains a faint blue aura about its head crest after landing, indicative of this phase beginning.
- It is again possible to attack the dragon with melee.
- The dragon gets stronger with every attack. It stops using enhanced dragonfire and returns to standard dragonfire. It also starts using its melee attacks again.
|Reinforced dragon bones||1||Always||19,108|
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 1,678 kills.|
4 charms are dropped at a time.
|Off-hand dragon longsword||1||Uncommon||56,249|
|Runite ore||4 (noted)||Common||3,632|
|Runite bolts (unf)||40||Common||7,080|
|Rune bar||3 (noted)||Common||6,507|
|Magic logs||30 (noted)||Uncommon||12,630|
|Uncut dragonstone||2 (noted)||Uncommon||26,380|
|Black dragonhide||9 (noted)||Uncommon||33,921|
|Onyx bolt tips||8||Uncommon||59,984|
|Prayer potion (3)||3||Uncommon||8,229|
|Rare drop table||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Steadfast scale||1||Rare (1/768)[d 1]||10,722,090|
|Glaiven wing-tip||1||Rare (1/768)[d 1]||3,475,283|
|Ragefire gland||1||Rare (1/768)[d 1]||406,091|
|Draconic visage||1||Rare (1/512)[d 2]||1,195,130|
|Forcae's journal page||1||Uncommon (1/20)[d 3]||Not sold|
|Sealed clue scroll (hard)||1||Uncommon||Not sold|
|Sealed clue scroll (elite)||1||Rare[d 4]||Not sold|
|Kethsi ring||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Court summons||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- ^ a b c Only while on a Slayer assignment.
- ^ Mod Timbo. "Revealing Drop Rates." 17 November 2017. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ Continues to be dropped until all 10 pages are obtained.
- ^ There is a 1% chance of this being a sealed clue scroll (master) instead
Rare drop table
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items such as a ring of wealth or luck of the dwarves are not required to access the table.
|Show/hide rare drop table|
|Uncut diamond||45–55 (noted)||Rare||125,415–153,285|
|Loop half of a key||1||Common||11,260|
|Tooth half of a key||1||Common||14,940|
|Uncut dragonstone||45–55 (noted)||Rare||593,550–725,450|
|Rune platebody||15–25 (noted)||Rare||562,200–937,000|
|Shield left half||1||Rare||64,271|
|Onyx bolts||135–165||Very rare||1,040,715–1,271,985|
|Water talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||204,360–257,808|
|Earth talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||12,740–16,072|
|Fire talisman||25–35 (noted)||Rare||8,375–11,725|
|Raw lobster||135–165 (noted)||Common||81,810–99,990|
|Raw shark||225–275 (noted)||Uncommon||269,550–329,450|
|Big bones||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||12,716–15,334|
|Dragon bones||180–220 (noted)||Rare||431,820–527,780|
|Gold ore||90–110 (noted)||Common||34,020–41,580|
|Adamantite ore||180–220 (noted)||Uncommon||43,020–52,580|
|Adamant bar||14–16 (noted)||Common||21,112–24,128|
|Adamant bar||135–165 (noted)||Rare||203,580–248,820|
|Runite ore||90–110 (noted)||Rare||81,720–99,880|
|Rune bar||3 (noted)||Common||6,507|
|Rune bar||45–55 (noted)||Rare||97,605–119,295|
|Grimy torstol||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||774,000–946,000|
|Grimy snapdragon||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||173,340–211,860|
|Super restore (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||147,690–180,510|
|Prayer potion (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||192,780–235,620|
|Dwarf weed seed||14–16||Uncommon||20,958–23,952|
|Palm tree seed||10||Rare||927,220|
|Molten glass||45–55 (noted)||Common||14,265–17,435|
|Soft clay||450–550 (noted)||Uncommon||232,650–284,350|
|Yew logs||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||13,736–16,564|
|Yew logs||675–825 (noted)||Rare||136,350–166,650|
|Teak plank||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||15,300–18,700|
|Mahogany plank||270–330 (noted)||Rare||248,670–303,930|
|Vecna skull||1||Very rare||96,580|
|Hazelmere's signet ring||1||Very rare||1,621,945,897|
|Brawling gloves (Melee)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Magic)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Agility)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (FM)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Mining)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (WC)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Mimic kill token||1||Very rare||6,652|
- Forcae's Mettle ( 15) - Complete Forcae's journal. (X/10)
- Upon release, there was a bug that caused Rune dragons to build up their rage outside of combat, due to players leaving combat during the third phase. This caused them to easily kill players in a single hit. This bug was patched the following day. Without growing their rage, rune dragons will still keep their rage for a long time after leaving combat. If one leaves for a bank trip, it is common to find their already damaged dragon in the same state as it was before leaving.
- There is currently a glitch where damage from a dwarf multicannon deals full damage for phase one of the fight, even though dragonbane ammo is required in order to harm them.
- On release, rune dragons were aggressive and had fewer spawns. With the Patch Notes update on 22 June 2015, several changes were implemented, such as increased experience, tolerance towards players, more spawns, and reduced damage from their enhanced dragonfire.
- Originally, as a rune dragon had to reach a specific threshold of life points to move to the next phase, overhitting the mark would result in the dragon regenerating all lost health back to the specific health mark (e.g if the rune dragon had 46,000 life points and was hit by a Tuska's Wrath on a Slayer assignment, it would have 34,000 life points; the next hit would result in its health returning to the transition threshold of 45,050 life points). In addition, rune dragons could not be attacked during phase transition. This was changed on 22 August 2016 due to player complaints.
- If a rune dragon is forced into its next phase via indirect damage, it will turn aggressive towards the player that caused the phase transition.
- Rune dragons (and their elite variant) are the only metallic dragons to have no weaknesses.
- On 13 November 2017, the drop rate for glaiven wing-tip, ragefire gland and steadfast scale has changed to 1/256 from 1/512.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for these monsters was 69,056 kills.
- ^ Mod Osborne. RuneScape's RuneLabs #2 (video). YouTube. 13 March 2015.*
- ^ a b Jagex. Patch Notes | 22/08. RuneScape Official Forums. 22 August 2016. "Made changes to rune dragons' phase transitions to allow players to continue attacking throughout. Damage that overshoots the lifepoint thresholds will no longer be healed back, but that hit, and hits during transition, are reduced to 10% power."*
- ^ a b Mod Chaose. Mod Chaose on Twitter: "@sebastiaanvans 1/256, down from 1/512". Mod Chaose's Twitter. 13 November 2017. "1/256, down from 1/512"*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 3 November 2015. Mod Stu: "Yep, guilty, and I'm aware they regenerate at transition thresholds. Intended mechanic; no plans to change it."
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 2 Feb 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. 6 May 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*