A Servant is an NPC that players can hire for various services in their player-owned house. There are seven different servants, each having a higher Construction level requirement and offering better services than the last.
Hiring a servant
Players can hire a servant at the Servants' Guild, which is located north of the marketplace in East Ardougne. All five servants wander inside the building except for the servant you have hired. Before hiring any servant, the player must meet three requirements:
- The player must have the required Construction level.
- The player's house must have at least two bedrooms with beds constructed in each one. If one of the beds is removed, then the servant will not become present again until the bed is rebuilt and the player exits and re-enters the house.
- The player must not have a servant already hired. If you want to switch servants, you must fire your current servant by talking to him or her in your house before going to the Servants' Guild.
Types of servants
(after Love Story)
|Rick||20|| 500 coins|
|Royal Guard||20|| 500 coins|
|Maid||25|| 1,000 coins|
|Cook||30|| 3,000 coins|
|Pineapple pizza||Yes||16 items||17s|
|Butler||40|| 5,000 coins|
|Chocolate cake||Yes||20 items||12s|
|Demon butler||50|| 10,000 coins|
|Monkey butler||50||Free||Banana||Yes||26 items||7s|
The services provided by servants can be cosmetic or vital resources for training Construction efficiently. All of the servants have the same basic services, but the main difference is that the higher-level servants have larger inventories and quicker response times. All of the servants can:
- Be summoned via the bell pull in the dining room or the Call Butler button on the House Settings interface.
- Follow the player like a familiar even in building mode
- Greet visiting players as they enter the house
- Serve tea to the owner
- Serve food to the owner and the visiting players provided the player has a dining room with a table and a kitchen with the necessary supplies
- Serve drinks from the barrel to the owner and the visiting players
- Fetch building materials from the bank:
- Take items to the bank
- Un-note noted items (excluding bones and demonic ashes), taking the same amount of time as fetching from the bank
In addition, the cook, butler, demon butler, and mind-controlled monkey butler can take logs to the sawmill for conversion into planks. You can use noted logs, but the servant must first un-note them and upon returning to you with the un-noted logs, instead of being automatically deposited to your inventory, you have the option of having them take them directly to the sawmill.
The costs of a servant may seem expensive for low level players, but for serious trainers and high level players, servants are well worth the money. After completion of the Love Story quest, servant prices are 25% cheaper. Players with at least level 60 invention can unlock the monkey mind-control helmet from the cave goblin technology tree to hire Steve, who is similar to the demon butler in services but does not require payment.When the servant asks for payment, you can pay with money in your backpack, money pouch or bank.
After using a servant's paid services seven times, players will be asked to pay the wage - at this point the payment can be made or denied. After using a servant's paid services eight times, players are required to either pay or fire him or her. The servant cannot be used for anything else before the payment is made; the servant will temporarily keep the items and will not give them until the player pays. Any items that the servant is holding will be deposited in the bank if you leave the house or if the servant is fired.
The asking of payment can be toggled to not appear when the payment is made via the servant's dialogue. In this case, the money is automatically taken from your backpack, money pouch or bank after 8 actions.
- In May 2009, the servant's summoning via the bell pull was changed. Prior to this, the servant would appear nearby and then walk to the player's location. This would sometimes result in a path resolution glitch where the servant got "trapped" behind an object. The short-lived "fix" made the servant spawn in the same place the player was standing and "walk out of the player". This was changed shortly after implementation, and the servants now spawn the old way, but with a more robust pathfinding algorithm.