|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Quest series|| Mahjarrat quest series|
Arrav quest series (#1)
|“|| Varrockian literature tells of a valuable shield, stolen long ago from the Museum of Varrock, by a gang of professional thieves.
See if you can track down this shield and return it to the Museum. You will need a friend to help you complete this quest.
|Start point||Talk to Reldo, the Varrock palace librarian.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Official length||Medium (15 - 20 mins)|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
Talk to Reldo, located in Varrock's library, in Varrock Palace, which can be found east of the Grand Exchange. Ask him for a quest and he will tell you there is probably a book on something in the library. You have to now search the bookcase with a blue book in the top shelf. When you've found it, read or skim through it. After you've read the book, speak with Reldo and ask him about the whereabouts of the Phoenix Gang, but he tells you to go to Baraek because he doesn't know.
Baraek is located in the centre of Varrock. He buys and sells furs, and his stall is marked with an icon of bear fur. Talk to him and ask about the Phoenix Gang. At first he will refuse, then he will want you to give him 20 coins for info. Give him 20 coins, and he will tell you it is located in the south-east corner of Varrock. Ask him all the questions available.
The hideout is near the south-east corner of Varrock between the two bars/pubs. It is a bit south of the rune shop. Look for the dungeon icon () on your map to find the hideout. When you've found the red exclamation mark, you will see a ladder. Climb down it to enter the Phoenix Gang's hideout.
Inside the hideout, talk to Straven. If you ask to join, he will mention the Varrock Herald newspaper. This is a cover up. There should be an option to tell him that you know who he is, a member of the Phoenix Gang. If this option isn't there, go back to Baraek and ask him about the Phoenix gang again, as you missed getting all of the information about them.
Straven will want you to kill Jonny the beard. He is located in Varrock's Blue Moon Inn. This bar/restaurant is located near the south entrance of Varrock. Go inside the bar and find Johnny the Beard and kill him (he may need to respawn).
Jonny will drop a report which Straven needs. Grab the report and bring it back to Straven. Talk to Straven while having the report in your inventory, and he will make you a Phoenix Gang member, allowing you to enter their hideout.
Look around for a chest in the south-west corner of the hideout to find one half of the Shield of Arrav. Head back up to the surface, and head to the building with a ladder to the south of the entrance. The Weaponsmaster will let you in, and you may pick up two Phoenix crossbows for later.
Black Arm Gang
To join the Black Arm Gang, talk to Charlie the Tramp located near the south entrance of Varrock. Ask him what’s down the alley, and he’ll tell you that it’s the Black Arm Gang’s hideout. Go down the alley and enter the building. Look for a woman named Katrine and talk to her.
Tell her you know about her gang and that you won't give your source. Ask her about what you should do to prove that you're trustworthy and she will give you a task to join her gang.
Katrine wants you to steal from the Phoenix Gang. She wants two of their crossbows. If you don't have them already, go back and talk to Straven to re-join the Phoenix gang, and take them from the weapons store.
When you have both of them, go back to Katrine, and she will make you a member of the Black Arm Gang. Go upstairs in the hideout and look for a cupboard, which contains half of the Shield of Arrav.
Combine both halves of the shield to obtain a restored shield, and give it to King Roald in Varrock Palace. He will be amazed that it has been returned after all this time, and say that it will once again be proudly displayed in Varrock Museum.
- 1 quest point
- 1,200 coins
- If you are a member, you can talk to Historian Minas in the Varrock Museum to receive 5 kudos and an antique lamp that gives 1000 experience in a skill of level 20 or above.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
Required for completing
Completion of Shield of Arrav is required for the following:
- Originally, it was only possible to join one gang, and completion of the quest required a partner in the opposite gang who had not completed the quest yet. This was changed on 13 February 2017, when the quest was reworked to allow joining both gangs. This also doubled the reward to 1,200 coins, as King Roald would previously give only 600 coins for bringing him half the certificate of authenticity.
- There is a thread for finding partners for Shield of Arrav and Heroes' Quest, located here.
- Upon completing the quest the Adventurer's Log reads: "A friend and I managed to recover the Shield of Arrav from gang members and put it where it belongs - in a museum." This is reference to Indiana Jones.
- Shield of Arrav was one of the 6 quests available during RuneScape's launch.
- In the beginning, a bug allowed the player to join both gangs. Katrine would appear angry at the player, but the player would still be able to enter the Black Arm Gang. The Phoenix gang doorman would also attack the player.
- In the early days of RuneScape 2, it was possible to buy the certificate from the general store and skip the majority of the quest. This is no longer possible.
- After completing the quest, if you talk to Juna, your character will say, "...So that's how I helped return the Shield of Arrav."
- In the early days, entering the Phoenix Gang's headquarters required a separate key. This was later changed, and the key was removed from the game.[source needed]
Shield of Arrav
|Part 1 of the Arrav quest series|
|Lores and Histories||