Tainted shard is an item that appeared in every player's inventory or at Diango after logging in after 00:00 UTC on 28 September 2018. It comes uncharged, and it can hold up to 4,000 charges. Players can equip the shard in the pocket slot, and it provides a 2% experience boost while it is equipped or in the inventory.
The shard can be charged by the player gaining experience while having it equipped or having it in their inventory. Charges are obtained in 5 minute intervals, 10 at a time. The timer resets on logout. This means it would take a minimum of 2,000 minutes, or 33.3 hours, to completely fill the shard. The shard retains the 2% experience boost upon acquiring 4,000 charges. Acquiring a charge triggers this message:
The tainted shard increases in energy, sending a chill down your spine. It has [number] charges.
While the item is in the bank, this message will appear every time the shard would have otherwise been charged:
Your tainted shard fails to charge as you do not have it with you. Equip or place the tainted shard in your inventory to charge it with energy.
There are two messages possible upon login before the item is received. If you have space in your backpack, the message you receive is:
A tainted shard has appeared in your backpack. You do not know where it came from but you sense a strange energy within it.
If you have no room, the message is:
You feel a spike of energy send a chill down your spine. Collect a tainted shard from Diango in Draynor Village or Ianto in Prifddinas to charge it with this energy.
The following message is shown upon reaching 1,000 charges, and again at 2,000 charges:
You hear the whispers of the tainted shard grow louder.
Extra dialogue is unlocked every 1,000 charges.
- The tainted shard can be taken into Daemonheim and onto Entrana.
- It has a very similar shape and colour as the chipped and the inert black stone crystals.
- Speaking to the Doomsayer while the shard is in your inventory prompts new dialogue.
- The dialogue seems to be a reference to Xau-Tak. "Do you really think you can save them, [Player]? You can't. There is a grinding darkness against which your soul shall be lathed. And this is Xau-Tak."
- Some skilling activities, such as firing urns, do not charge the shard. It is unknown whether this is intended or a glitch.