Hey all! Today is the release of Skilling Pets and to get you started here’s a megathread! Listing all the possibilities of gaining a pet in each Skill, as well as other bits of information!
Things to know
- 19 Skilling Pets for all the skills except Combat skills, Prayer, and Summoning. You do not need to have 99 to achieve a Skilling Pet.
- Skilling pets will display the players XP in the respective skill. F2P can unlock skilling pets for F2P skills.
- All Skilling Pets will be familiar overrides.
- Level 99s, Virtual Levels, and 200m are thresholds that will increase your drop chance in that particular skill.
- Every level gained increases your chance to get a pet, for example a level 15 woodcutter has a slightly greater chance than a level 14 woodcutter.
- The Pets Interface is changing!
- Boss Pets will be in their own tab labelled Boss Pets.
- Skilling Pets will be in their own tab labelled Skilling Pets.
- The following items/training methods will not provide a chance at receiving a pet:
- Silverhawk Boots
- Use of Protean Items
- XP Stars/Lamps
- Voice of Seren boosts.
- Training on the Plots in the Beach.
- Clan Citadels
- There are 2 titles: For owning 5 skilling pets (Jack of Trades), and for owning all skilling pets (Jack of all trades).
- World Broadcasts will go out for players earning the Pets, and there are also Ironman first broadcasts.
- If your inventory is full when you would get a pet, the pet will be added to your inventory when you next clear space in it.
For the following skills, your chance of getting a pet after performing an activity is based on how long that activity took. Essentially, you have roughly the same chance of getting a pet training agility in Bandos throne room for an hour as you do spending an hour doing the monkey agility course. These are mostly the gathering skills.
- Burthorpe course
- Gnome stronghold
- Advanced gnome stronghold
- Agility pyramid
- Penguin course
- Barbarian outpost
- Advanced barbarian outpost
- Ape Atoll course
- Wilderness course
- Werewolf course
- Bandos throne room
- Hefin course
- Serenity Posts
- Silverhawk Boots are excluded
- Gathering wisps
- Converting memories
- Any products made through Divination will not count, also gathering from Divine Locations will not work.
- Herb burner
- Bone burning
- Burning log lines
- Inferno Adze will work.
- Waterfall Fishing
- Barbarian Fishing
- Bird snaring
- Butterfly netting
- Impling netting (but not impulses)
- Deadfall trapping
- Box trapping
- Rabbit snaring
- Net trapping
- Pitfall trapping
- Magic boxes
- Charm sprites
- Catching div chronicles
- Mining rocks
- Lava Flow Mine
- Get task, kill task, repeat
- Reaper Assignments will count.
- Regular pickpocket
- Elf pickpocket
- Pyramid Plunder
- Doors are excluded from this
- Tree cutting
- Log splitting
- Machete cutting is excluded from this
For the remaining skills below, your chance is affected by the base xp of the activity you’re doing. For example, you have a higher chance at the Herblore pet making overloads compared to making attack potions. This was primarily done to discourage players making thousands of bronze daggers and other cheap junk items to get their pets. Bonus XP, auras and any other bonuses do not affect this chance.
- Furniture Hotspots
- Cooking any food
- Crafting battlestaves
- Crafting jewellery
- Crafting leather
- Using a potter's wheel
- Using a spinning wheel
- Complete dungeons
- The dungeoneering pet chance is adjusted to take party size into account. Doing a floor quickly on your own has about the same chance of yielding a pet as completing a five-person floor quickly.
- Resource Dungeons will not count
- Other skills trained while in Dungeoneering will not give a chance to gain a Skilling Pet.
- Checking patches
- Planting seeds on patches
- Fletching Bows
- Stringing Bows
- Feathering/tipping ammo
- Fletching headless arrows
- Mixing potion
- Cleaning herbs
- Herb burning
- Making Gizmos
- Altars - normal and ZMI
- Runespan - creatures, nodes and runesphere
- Smelting bars
- Smithing weapons/armours
- Artisan Workshop - Burial armour
- Artisan Workshop - Cannon repair
- Artisan Workshop - Ceremonial swords
- Artisan Workshop – Tracks
- Corrupted Ore
Good luck on the Pet hunt! And thanks for reading :)
Some notes to the above:
- They hotfixed some rates regarding production skill pets 
- Fishing pet is the only possible pet obtained via Summer Beach Party 
- The Arc gives pet chance 
- Harps don't give pet chance
- Jadinko cave firemaking with Curly root gives pet chance
- Superheat form doesn't give pet
- Dungeoneering/Hard mode does not boost pet chance
- For gathering skills, RNG is based on time spent, not XP drops (ie lobster is same chance as shark)
- Dwarven items/TH set outfit passives thus gives no benefit
- Fishing rod-o-matic counts as Invention when siphoned/disassembled
- Crystallise works for pets
- Barehanded butterfly/implings give pet chance
- Slayer pet is handed out after a kill
- The full list of working methods above should be added to the article. Currently the article leads to believe that everything but the mentioned exceptional methods yields pets which is not true. Thingummywut (talk) 14:04, September 5, 2016 (UTC)
- That'll be Manifested knowledge 02:43, December 24, 2016 (UTC)
"It'd be nice if we knew the drop mechanic on artisan pet. All we know is higher exp drop = better pet chance but what we don't know is whether it's linear increase or not. Ie does 1000 actions of 1 exp have equal chance of 1 action of 1000 exp?"
"Yeah it's linear"
- Super late, but a user commented:
I actually did not reset. i do not even know if I would keep the pet if i would. Since im 99HP aswell it would ruin my account. Because if you reset prayer hp goes with it. its combined. I basically got SUPER SUPER SUPER lucky upon release of the Prayer pet. I was planning my 99prayer and started to fill up urns, then after 2xp BOOM! :). If someone is willing to try the reset thing out. please send me the proof! haha I am known as " level 25" in game.
- According to Mod Shauny you can get skilling pets while using portables. Salix of Prifddinas (Talk) 21:50, September 4, 2016 (UTC)
I come to see the skilling pets but I have to click back and forth between this page and the respective pets pages. This page needs a nice visual overvieuw of all skilling pets. Cause skilling pets are a visual thing, right? Asbakkie (talk) 23:06, September 8, 2016 (UTC)
Full inventory message
"While skilling, you find Malcolm, the Invention pet..[sic] However you do not have enough inventory space, so it has been sent to your bank."
- They said it would "find it way to you eventually" when you have space in either of those places. Salix of Prifddinas (Talk) 18:28, September 28, 2016 (UTC)
The following is a list of missing pet unlock items detailed inventory images: