|Release||3 July 2017 (Update)|
|A powerful necromancer who guards this entrance to the Underworld.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|300 / 200 / 100|
4 ticks (2.4s)
Oreb, the Magister of House Charron, is a necromancer from the human homeworld of Teragard, and a solo slayer boss. He may be found in the First Gate of the Grim Underworld, accessible from the Sophanem Slayer Dungeon. Unlike the other inhabitants of the dungeon, a feather of Ma'at is not required to kill him.
To fight the Magister, level 115 Slayer is required (which can be boosted - however, the boost must be maintained throughout the whole fight) and a Key to the Crossing. The soul obelisk inside the dungeon must then be activated to summon him. Keys can be obtained by killing the inhabitants of the dungeon (including himself) or by buying them from the Grand Exchange, costing 242,367 coins. The key is consumed when beginning the fight and will not be returned on death if the Magister wins, behaving in a similar manner to ascension keystones.
Killing the Magister is a possible Soul Reaper assignment. The assigned number of kills can vary between 3 to 14.
The Magister is one of the bosses required to unlock the title [Name] the Reaper, which is a requirement for the completionist cape. Obtaining the five books that can be dropped by the Magister as well as other inhabitants of the dungeon is a requirement for the master quest cape. The bobblehead pet dropped by the Magister is a requirement for the Final Boss [Name] title.
Acquiring at least one of each of his unique drops is a requirement for the [Name] of the Crossing title.
Oreb was originally the magister of House Charron on Teragard, and at one point authored a book known as The Divine Delusion. Fascinated with the subject of the soul, he speculated in his book that it had little to do with divinity, and that it may be possible to transplant a soul from one host into another.
At some point in or before the Fifth Age, he somehow found his way to Gielinor, and took in Nomad as his pupil, teaching him about the nature of souls. Nomad eventually betrayed and supposedly killed him, using his new understanding of souls to bolster his own power. He evidently survived this, however.
Memories of him appear during the Tales of Nomad miniquest. In the first master memory, he appears as my first master and is shown tutoring Nomad in the Ourania Cave. In the first betrayal memory, he is shown being stabbed by Nomad in his temple.
After being betrayed by Nomad, Oreb eventually found himself in Menaphos. He began his own experiments on souls, taking pity on Icthlarin because of a guilt that he sensed. He found various machines capable of splitting a being's soul while they were still alive, and also sensed the soul of a divine being, though it had clearly been split into multiple personalities.
The Magister has several special abilities, one of which consists of activating a soul obelisk that drains the player's Constitution level, which affects both the amount of health food can heal when eaten in addition to the player's maximum life points.
Although he counts for a Soul devourer assignment and awards slayer experience upon defeat, the slayer helmet does not apply its damage and accuracy buffs against the Magister even if the player has a soul devourer assignment. However, Tuska's Wrath will still behave as it normally does on a slayer task and deal up to 15,000 damage.
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 69 kills.|
8 charms are dropped at a time.
|Corrupted magic logs||100 (noted)||Common||47,500|
|Grimy ranarr||15 (noted)||Common||22,725|
|Feather of Ma'at||100||Uncommon||164,000|
|Rune platebody||3 (noted)||Uncommon||112,440|
|Rune bar||8 (noted)||Uncommon||64,088|
|Vital spark||10; 20||Uncommon (1/64)[d 1]||578,900–1,157,800|
|Water talisman||15 (noted)||Uncommon||130,980|
|Onyx bolt tips||25||Uncommon||193,150|
|Weapon poison++ (3)||3 (noted)||Common||58,728|
|Rune battleaxe||3 (noted)||Common||74,964|
|Off-hand rune battleaxe||3 (noted)||Common||72,981|
|Crystal key||2 (noted)||Common||52,574|
|Crushed nest||20 (noted)||Common||18,860|
|Key to the Crossing||1||Rare (1/128)[d 1]||242,367|
|Grimy toadflax||15 (noted)||Common||66,405|
|Rare drop table||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Soul fragment (The Magister)||1||Very rare[d 2]||Not sold|
|Starved ancient effigy||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Phylactery||1||Common (1/18)[d 1]||Not sold|
|The Magister's Journal 1||1||Common (1/10)[d 3]||Not sold|
|The Magister's Journal 2||1||Common (1/10)[d 3]||Not sold|
|The Magister's Journal 3||1||Common (1/10)[d 3]||Not sold|
|The Magister's Journal 4||1||Common (1/10)[d 3]||Not sold|
|The Magister's Journal 5||1||Common (1/10)[d 3]||Not sold|
|Gloves of passage||1||Very rare (1/500)[d 1]||3,519,224|
- ^ a b c d Mod Timbo. "Revealing Drop Rates." 27 October 2017. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ Has a drop rate of 1/1,000 with a threshold of 200.
- ^ a b c d e The books are dropped in order, and the next book is guaranteed upon reading the previous book.
- Diary of Oreb ( 25) - Discover and read all five journals of The Magister.
- Crossing Over ( 5) - Defeat the Magister. Tiered achievement.
- Superior Successor ( 0) - Obtained a collection of unique drops from the Magister.
There were several teasers hinting towards the Magister in the weeks before its release. Most of them have taken the form of in-game messages which were triggered as a result of the players' actions as a community.
After several teaser message broadcasts, more activities were unlocked for players to engage with within Menaphos that allowed city reputation to be gained in ways beyond the traditional method of training skills within the city. These activities took the form of repeatable events that could be completed numerous times a day for reputation, and are still currently available to be completed for city reputation.
|6 June 2017|| The continued desecration of the caverns below Menaphos and Sophanem have caused a flux of corrupted soul energy.|
The Magister has become aware of your presence.
|7 June 2017|| Strange reverberations are causing the earth below Menaphos and Sophanem to groan.|
The corruption and soul energies under the desert are becoming increasingly unstable.
| Soul obelisks began spawning in Menaphos.
The desert sands tremble with the undulating cry of countless despairing souls.
|11 June 2017|| The sands around Menaphos tremble with the sound of a million frantic footsteps.|
Something is stirring below the surface...
|12 June 2017|| A wave of apprehension sweeps across Menaphos as the skittering hum of the sands begins to grow louder.|
Whatever stirs the desert is fast approaching.
| Corrupted scarabs began spawning in Menaphos.
The streets of Menaphos fall victim to a plague of displaced scarab beetles from the corrupted caverns below.
The Magister was originally planned for release on 26 June 2017, but this date was pushed back to 3 July 2017 to allow for further testing and addition of more quality of life improvements for Menaphos.
- Upon release, there was a bug where the Magister gave 50,000 slayer experience upon defeating him. This was unintentional and quickly hotfixed on the same day, reducing it to 8,000.
- Charron, the name of the Magister's house, is a possible reference to Charon, a figure in Greek mythology who carries souls of the dead across the rivers Styx and Acheron.
- The title "Magister", when translated idiomatically from Latin, means "Master" - a honorific title often used to address individuals of high social status, such as teachers.
- The Magister is one of two monsters who can lower the player's maximum life points, the other being Barrelchest Mk II.
- It was possible to Quick Chat Magister kills before the boss was actually released.
- He is referred to as High Magister Oreb by Lucifurr, who claims to have been his apprentice.
- Upon release, there was a rare bug that caused the Magister to become immune to most forms of damage at low health, forcing the player to kill him off with weapon poison. He could still attack and damage players, but was incapable of using abilities. This has been fixed as of the 10 July 2017 update.
- The Magister was given the ability to use Freedom against stuns with the 23 July 2017 update. Prior to this, he would only use Freedom if he was bound.
- The Magister was given several updates due to player complaints on 2 October 2017:
- His overall defence was lowered; this applied to both his defence level and his affinities, as they were extremely high compared to other high-levelled bosses, often requiring the use of an aura just to sustain reasonable accuracy rates.
- He is now able to phase whilst stunned.
- Oreb and his former pupil Nomad physically resemble each other somewhat, as both have bright green eyes, bald heads and grayish skin tone. This could be because both are necromancers who have used Soul obelisks to unnaturally prolong their lives. In addition to this, their combat levels (699, 799, and 899) are similar to each other.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this boss was 15,388 kills.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. (Archived from the original on 2017-06-07.)
- ^ Jagex. "Magister Arrives Monday | Month Ahead Postponed." 30 June 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ William Whittaker; the University of Notre Dame. Magister. 2017-06-07.*
- ^ Lucifurr, RuneScape. "I who was apprenticed to the High Magister Oreb, master of souls."
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 2 Feb 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Boss in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 6 May 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Boss in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
|Miscellaneous||Quick guide • Transcript|
|Fremennik Slayer Dungeon||
|Lumbridge Swamp Caves||
|Poison Waste Slayer Dungeon||
|Dorgesh-Kaan South Dungeon||
|Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon||
|God Wars Dungeon||
|Taverley Slayer Dungeon||
|Monastery of Ascension||
|Sophanem Slayer Dungeon||
|The Lost Grove||