|Release date||5 January 2005 (Update)|
Ug loves Aga, but Aga is together with Arrg. Since Arrg is a lot stronger than Ug, Ug can't follow the regular mating ritual, which involves ripping the opponent into pieces.
Will you be able to find out what will impress the troll female more than a display of violence? Will you survive the journey to help a lonely troll find love?
|Start point||Ug at the Troll Stronghold.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
Ug can be found inside the Troll Stronghold. To get to the stronghold, either use the Trollheim Teleport or walk through the mountains. From the teleport location, go to the south-west path using agility shortcuts if possible. Take the ramp up to a cave entrance.
After entering the Troll Stronghold, go south until you find a set of stairs going down. Follow the stairs to reach the stronghold kitchen, from where you should head north-west through 2 doors and into a room where Ug can be found.
Talk to him to learn that he is in love with a female troll named Aga, who unfortunately loves another, aggressive troll called Arrg. Ug cannot gather the courage to ask Aga out, for fear of Arrg's wrath. As a good Samaritan, offer to help the poor troll, who promises not to eat you.
Speak to Aga in the room to the north. Aga is a very romantic troll, but she isn't sure if Arrg loves her or not. If he would bring her favourite flower - a Trollweiss flower - it would prove his love for her.
In the same room, talk to Arrg. He does not seem to be in love with Aga and also has no knowledge of the Trollweiss' location. Return to Ug and ask if he knows anything about the flower. He instantly becomes upset, saying that only someone who has lived a life in the mountains could know anything about Trollweiss.
The updated Death Plateau quest must be completed before continuing.
As the only knowledgeable mountaineer you know is Freda, go to her to learn about the white flower. Her house is in the mountains, west of Burthorpe. She will explain that Trollweiss is a special kind of growth that only appears in the icy troll area to the north. The only way to get down to the plateau where the Trollweiss grows, is by using a sled. She suggests talking to Dunstan, the Burthorpe smith, who knows a lot about making a sled.
Return to Burthorpe and head to Dunstan's house, in the north-east part of the city. Talk to Dunstan and he is happy to make a sled for you, provided he gets the materials - a maple log or yew log, an iron bar and rope. Dunstan exchanges the items for a sled, saying that it must be waxed before using it in the mountain snow.
A bucket of wax may be obtained by using some insect repellent on a beehive west of Catherby, and then using a bucket on the now empty beehive; the insect repellent may be obtained from the nearby beekeeper, who will also explain how to obtain the wax. Now, with an empty cake tin in the inventory, use the swamp tar with the bucket of wax to get some sled wax. Once you have the wax, use it on the sled to make it possible to ride on the snow. Next stop: Trollweiss mountain.
Return to Trollheim. If you are walking, pass the group of throwing trolls, but instead of continuing west towards the stronghold, take the north-western path until it starts snowing (Not the path to the GWD which is directly North).
If you are teleporting, climb down as if you were heading to the stronghold, but instead of taking the ramp, take the path just east of it (directly north)
Walk a little north-west to reach the Trollweiss Dungeon entrance. Enter the cave and walk through it to the north-west exit. Do not go through the ice-gate.
Beware of the ice trolls; they have a strong melee attack.
When outside, start walking south until you cannot step any further and equip the sled. Sled down the snowy path until you reach an icy plateau. In the south-western part of the plateau, there is a circular area with a rock marking the Trollweiss flower patch. Pick a flower.
The Things We Do For Love...
Prepare for battle before talking to him. Food is necessary for lower levelled players. Taking some prayer potions may also be a good idea. If killed, a grave will appear outside the arena gate; if you plan on retrieving your gear after death, it is highly recommended that you keep a pair of climbing boots and an extra games necklace in your bank.
Once you are ready, confront Arrg and challenge him to a fight. You are swiftly transported to the troll arena, where the fight will take place. Arrg attacks immediately after the teleport, so be prepared. Like all trolls, Arrg has a strong melee attack and can hit in the high 300s if you don't have the correct prayer on. He also uses Ranged by throwing rocks. It is fairly inaccurate, but can hit quite high.
Turn Protect from Melee on and eat fairly often, not allowing your life points to drop below 400. If you have 60 Defence and a 180+ Ranged defence bonus, you may not be hit at all by Arrg's ranged attacks. Don't try to change prayers to protect from ranged as it isn't worth the risk.
Kill Arrg and return to Ug, telling him about your victory over Arrg. After getting overly sentimental, Ug thanks you and promises to present Aga with your kind gift.
Congratulations, quest complete!
- 2 quest points
- 8,000 experience
- 4,000 experience
- A handful of uncut gems from Ug (1 uncut diamond, 2 uncut rubies and 4 uncut emeralds)
- A sled
- Unlocks sledding route from Trollweiss
- A new colour of wieldable flowers
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
- Music unlocked
- Romancing the Crone (Unlocked at the top of Trollweiss mountain)
- Hell's Bells (Unlocked when the player is about to start sledding)
Required for completing
Completion of Troll Romance is required for the following:
- The name of the quest may be a reference to the movie True Romance.
- During the final dialogue Arrg says "This concept of 'love' confuses and infuriates Arrg." This is a direct reference to the Futurama episode Love and Rocket. In the episode, the alien from Omicron Persei Eight receives a truckload of candied hearts that have words written on them. Lrrr's wife Ndnd asks "What is this emotion that you humans call 'wuv'?" Lrrr replies, "Surely you mean love?" His wife says, "No, 'wuv'! With an Earth 'w'. Behold!" To which Lrrr replies, "This concept of 'wuv' confuses and infuriates us!"
- While talking to Freda about the Trollweiss, she mentions a recent increase in the severity of snowfall near the ice trolls and mentions "climate change," a reference to real world climate change.
- If you try to give the trollweiss to Aga yourself by using them on her, a message in the chat box will read, "That's probably not a good idea..."
- When you have completed the quest, instead of the normal 'Congratulations! Quest complete!', it will say 'Congratulations! You've helped a lonely troll find love. Quest complete!'.
|Miscellaneous||Quick guide • Transcript|