The veteran cape (5 year) is one of the Capes of Distinction, available to accounts that were created on or before 4 August 2015. Accounts which are at least 5 years old can purchase the five-year veteran cape and hood from Hans at Lumbridge Castle for 50,000 coins. Players who do not meet the requirement will be informed how many days are left until they may claim the cape.
|Armour||4||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|[FAQ] • [doc]|
Players wearing the five-year veteran cape are able to perform a unique emote by selecting the skillcape option under the emotes interface. To be performed, the 3×3 area surrounding the player must not be obstructed by any obstacles.
Players standing in areas without enough room to perform the emote will be informed that they must first move to a larger area in order to perform the emote.
- This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ.
- To force an update of this list, click here.
Development on the five-year veteran cape cape was first revealed on 17 March 2011 in a Developer blog by Mod Mark, Design Notes: Capes of Distinction. Jagex created a Guaranteed Content poll allowing both free-to-play and members alike the chance to vote on their preferred designs for the cape. Players had two weeks to participate in the content poll, with the voting divided into five categories: Hood design, collar shape, collar pattern, back symbol, and cape pattern. Voting closed on 1 April 2011; the winning design elements were: A2, B3, C4, D1, and E3.
One month after the poll closed, the five-year veteran cape was featured in the May 2011 edition of Behind the Scenes. The following day, the five-year cape was introduced into the game bearing the winning design as voted on by players.
Controversies upon release
Upon release, the five-year veteran cape, along with all other Capes of Distinction, were revealed to be available to members only; non-member players believed they would have had access to the veteran cape based on statements Mod Mark had said prior to its release.
|“||[The] winning veteran cape design will soon be available to all players who have had a RuneScape account for at least five years.||”|
— Mod Mark Behind the Scenes – May 
Jagex staff addressed the members-only requirement on 3 May 2011 via the RuneScape Forums, stating that whilst all accounts that were 5 years old could have the cape, a player also required membership.
During an interview with Eurogamer on the Capes of Distinction controversy, then RuneScape vice president Daniel Clough stated:
|“||Members have to get benefits for their subscriptions – we can't make everything free for everyone. That said, we are hugely proud of our free-to-play game. RuneScape offers millions of players one of the largest free-to-play MMORPGs, without ever asking them to subscribe. We give free players thousands of hours of content and it is a testament to the game that we have loyal players who have played the game for five years without ever paying us a penny.||”|
— Daniel Clough
Many players who had accounts for longer than five years but not RuneScape membership considered this insulting, and addressed their complaints to Jagex via the RuneScape forums.
- If a player dies with the five-year veteran cape equipped or in their inventory, 50,000 coins appear within their gravestone in place of the cape.
- Eurogamer reported on the five-year veteran cape controversy, asking the then Vice President of RuneScape, Daniel Clough to respond. This was the first time that the Vice President of the RuneScape franchise had given a public response to the media.
- ^ Mod Emilee. "Content Poll: Veteran Cape Design." 18 March 2011. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Emilee. "Guaranteed Content Poll: Veteran Cape Design Result." 1 April 2011. RuneScape News.
- ^ a b Mod Mark. "Behind the Scenes – May." 2 May 2011. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Chris L. "Capes of Distinction." 3 May 2011. RuneScape News.
- ^ a b Robert Purchese. RunesCape Veteran Cape: Jagex responds. Eurogamer. 2011-06-05. (Archived from the original on 2013-06-18.)*