A wooden shield is the weakest shield available along with the Training shield, but one of a small group with no Attack or Defence penalties to any form of combat. It is round in shape, and while all warriors should quickly progress to something better, it is better than nothing for magic users, since it has no penalties. It can be purchased from Cassie's Shield Shop in Falador having a restock time of 1 minute per shield or found north of the Varrock city wall where it respawns every 24 seconds. In addition, it provides a +1 bonus to magic defence.
Characters wearing monk's robes seem to have part of their cuffs sticking out of the shield. (This glitch also occurs with god books)
On bounty worlds If you tried to get the shield by the Wilderness wall from the east it would display the "You have to stay in the Wilderness or Edgeville on this world" message and would result in going through the tree north of the shield.
|Armour||0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|[FAQ] • [doc]|
- It is not uncommon to see mages using a wooden shield because there is no attack penalty, and there are fair defence bonuses. However, anti-dragon shields are much more popular because they also have no attack penalty while offering higher bonuses.
- Sir Amik Varze seems to be wielding a white version of this shield.
- The dwarf who sells the mining cape seems to be wielding a steel version of this shield.
- The wooden shield was given for free on Tutorial Island before the tutorial was changed.
- Once the Tutorial Island was removed from new RuneScape players, many players thought the wooden shield would become discontinued.
- The wooden shield originally had a red trim, later changed to the current brown trim.