|Release||2 November 2015 (Update)|
|A very dangerous wyvern.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|111 / 74 / 37|
4 ticks (2.4s)
Wyverns are dragon-like monsters in the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon. They were first revealed at RuneFest 2015, after being pitched on RuneLabs and being one of the November poll winners. They require level 96 Slayer to be killed. Wyverns reside in an icy cavern beneath the area in which skeletal wyverns reside. When killing Wyverns, an elite version may spawn (guaranteed while on a Slayer assignment).
Dragonbane ammunition does not have its passive effect against the wyverns, as they are not considered dragons.
Go to the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon, enter the skeletal wyverns' cave, and go to the south-west corner. There will be rope in a hole in the floor, descend down the rope and that is where the living wyverns are.
The quickest methods of reaching the cave are by using the Port Sarim lodestone, using fairy ring code AIQ to Mudskipper Point, or teleporting to the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon resource dungeon with a Hoardstalker ring or Dungeoneering cape.
Upon entry, the player is somewhat cold and the base poison damage from wyverns is 300. This means the player is in the "Cold" (around 20-25%) mechanic and should light one of the static fires nearby. As the player gets colder, an icy overlay becomes more visible on their screen. Several mechanics will take place depending on the chill from the cavern:
- Warm: Wyvern poison damage increased up to 900 per 4-5 ticks.
- Cold: Wyvern attack damage greatly increased; damage around 2,500 becomes typical.
- Coldest: Player will be constantly stunned at 8–10 seconds per stun; it is highly advised to use Freedom and get out of the cavern if this happens.
Players can mitigate the chill effect by lighting any of the 5 unlit fires scattered throughout the cave. While a fire is lit, standing next to it will cause a player to slowly warm up. Thus, fighting wyverns from afar while standing next to a lit fire will allow a player to avoid dealing with the worst of the chill effects. Lit fires will only last a short time before they burn out and must be lit again.
The chill effects can be reset by leaving the cavern.
The wyverns have two ice breath attacks: their normal one (used by their skeletal brethren), and a poisonous one. Whenever the wyvern uses the poisonous ice breath, a message will appear and say "A strong wyvern poison corrodes into your bones." Using an elemental workshop shield of any sort, dragonfire shield or the wyrmfire potion will block the damage from their ice breath attacks, but will not protect against the ensuing poison attacks. The poison from this attack ignores the effects of the poison purge auras, the venomblood perk and the anti-poison totem from Dungeoneering. Fortunately, drinking a dose of antipoison will halve the damage of the poison. It is highly recommended to bring antipoison++, as each tick of poison damage will decrease the time left on the antipoison potion. Overload salve's antipoison duration is affected by the poison breath but will protect from the wyvern's ice breath.
Wyverns attack in a manner similar to Araxxi; at a distance, they only attack with magic and ranged. If the player is next to them, they will only attack with melee. If attacking from afar, prayer flicking is not recommended as the damage is already calculated before the projectile hits the player.
Melee is the most consistent method of battling wyverns, as while the player will be subjected to the cold, they can easily flick through a wyvern's attacks. A scrimshaw of vampyrism and the vampyrism aura can help prolong trips. When the player reaches the "coldest" on their meter (roughly 90%), leave the chamber and log out in the skeletal wyvern area, as it will remove accumulated frost stacks. Alternatively, one can light the fires to quickly lower the frost effect, though it runs the risk of aggression.
Despite having the lowest combat level of the Raptor mobs, they are much stronger than their combat level suggests. While they have high damage outputs from both their standard attacks and their poison, they have the lowest health (while the Camel Warrior has less health, they have 3 mirages).
As stated above, upon entering the cavern, the player will start stacking Chill stacks, which have the three possible effects.
The warmer the player is, the higher the poison damage they will take, starting at about 600 damage, every 4-5 ticks, at 0% chill. As the player gets colder, the poison damage will start getting weaker, at about 70% chill, where the posion damage completely stops. A downside to this is that the Wyverns' basic attacks will get stronger the colder the player is, this can be countered by standing in melee range, as they will only attack with melee, and using Protect/Deflect Melee, along with Devotion, or repeatedly stunning the wyvern, preventing it from attacking.
Finally, the player should be warned of the freezing effect as their chill reaches close to maximum (near 90%), so they might want to keep it around 75% and 85%, where the posion is negated, and wyverns attacks can be blocked.
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 1,116 kills.|
4 charms are dropped at a time.
|Off-hand rune longsword||1||Uncommon||18,210|
|Grimy avantoe||3–5 (noted)||Common||2,079–3,465|
|Grimy ranarr||3–5 (noted)||Common||3,510–5,850|
|Grimy irit||3–5 (noted)||Common||8,952–14,920|
|Crushed nest||4–6 (noted)||Common||4,236–6,354|
|Dragon dart tip||30–40||Common||24,960–33,280|
|Prayer potion (3)||4–12 (noted)||Common||7,376–22,128|
|Uncut dragonstone||2–4 (noted)||Uncommon||24,230–48,460|
|Wyvern bones||3–9 (noted)||Uncommon||10,803–32,409|
|Onyx bolt tips||4–6||Uncommon||30,708–46,062|
|Rare drop table||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Cursed amascut sand||1||Rare||7,657,270|
|Wyvern crossbow||1||Very rare[note 1]||23,853,205|
|Raptor key part 1||1||Rare[note 2][note 3]||Not sold|
|Draconic visage||1||Very rare||1,183,374|
- ^ 1/2,000 chance on task, 1/10,000 off-task
- ^ Can only be dropped during a Slayer task
- ^ 1/256 chance
Rare drop table
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items such as a ring of wealth or luck of the dwarves are not required to access the table.
|Show/hide rare drop table|
|Uncut diamond||45–55 (noted)||Rare||108,900–133,100|
|Loop half of a key||1||Common||10,727|
|Tooth half of a key||1||Common||13,919|
|Uncut dragonstone||45–55 (noted)||Rare||545,175–666,325|
|Rune platebody||15–25 (noted)||Rare||562,200–937,000|
|Shield left half||1||Rare||64,867|
|Onyx bolts||135–165||Very rare||1,070,550–1,308,450|
|Water talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||238,550–300,940|
|Earth talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||14,820–18,696|
|Fire talisman||25–35 (noted)||Rare||7,575–10,605|
|Raw lobster||135–165 (noted)||Common||25,650–31,350|
|Raw shark||225–275 (noted)||Uncommon||172,800–211,200|
|Big bones||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||11,016–13,284|
|Dragon bones||180–220 (noted)||Rare||339,120–414,480|
|Gold ore||90–110 (noted)||Common||29,070–35,530|
|Adamantite ore||180–220 (noted)||Uncommon||39,960–48,840|
|Adamant bar||14–16 (noted)||Common||25,508–29,152|
|Adamant bar||135–165 (noted)||Rare||245,970–300,630|
|Runite ore||90–110 (noted)||Rare||101,340–123,860|
|Rune bar||3 (noted)||Common||8,169|
|Rune bar||45–55 (noted)||Rare||122,535–149,765|
|Grimy torstol||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||367,380–449,020|
|Grimy snapdragon||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||111,420–136,180|
|Super restore (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||162,540–198,660|
|Prayer potion (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||120,195–146,905|
|Dwarf weed seed||14–16||Uncommon||4,186–4,784|
|Palm tree seed||10||Rare||225,200|
|Molten glass||45–55 (noted)||Common||9,855–12,045|
|Soft clay||450–550 (noted)||Uncommon||268,650–328,350|
|Yew logs||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||10,948–13,202|
|Yew logs||675–825 (noted)||Rare||108,675–132,825|
|Teak plank||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||13,005–15,895|
|Mahogany plank||270–330 (noted)||Rare||208,710–255,090|
|Vecna skull||1||Very rare||165,646|
|Hazelmere's signet ring||1||Very rare||1,758,438,364|
|Brawling gloves (Melee)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Magic)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Agility)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (FM)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Mining)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (WC)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Mimic kill token||1||Very rare||9,049|
- Wyverns are referred to as living wyverns in the beast tab kill count interface.
- There was a glitch where if assigned wyverns, when quickchatted it would say you are assigned "Nothing", including if they are preferred or blocked. This did not affect the built-in slayer counter however, and has since been fixed.
- The drop table for wyverns was buffed on 16 November 2015.
- Due to player complaints about how difficult wyverns were compared other slayer monsters of their level, they were given several changes with the 11 September 2017 update:
- The lit fires were given an increased area of effect from a 3x3 to a 5x5 radius. Lit fires also removed frost stacks at a faster rate from 1% to 3%.
- Their attack speed was lowered significantly.
- The frost stacks take twice as long to accumulate.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this monster was 28,197 kills.
- ^ Mod Shauny. "Dev Blog: Revealing Drop Rates." 1 December 2017. Existing Game Updates Forums.
- ^ Mod Shauny. "Patch Notes - 16/04." 16 April 2018. Recent Game Updates Forums.
- ^ (1/10000) http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/forums.ws?74,75,52,65949497,goto,21#205
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 2 Feb 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. 6 May 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
|Fremennik Slayer Dungeon||
|Lumbridge Swamp Caves||
|Poison Waste Slayer Dungeon||
|Dorgesh-Kaan South Dungeon||
|Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon||
|God Wars Dungeon||
|Taverley Slayer Dungeon||
|Monastery of Ascension||
|Sophanem Slayer Dungeon||
|The Lost Grove||